“One of the nicest small Riad's in Marrakech”
Review of Riad Dar Anika

Riad Dar Anika
Ranked #8 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Horley, United Kingdom
“One of the nicest small Riad's in Marrakech”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

What a great small Riad, The patron's Nigel & Diana were great host's, the food was fantastic, the position in Marrakech was great and easy walking from the main square.
The roof terrace was great to sit in and have a end of day sundowner!
Just a great week, with Great people and good food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chawkes2016

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We looked at so many options when trying to find our accommodation- as a small group of girls travelling as friends, our priorities were somewhere that felt safe, clean and comfortable.

We just arrived home from a few days at Dar Anika and want to go back now!

Samir and his staff team work hard to ensure guests feel welcome, happy and relaxed.

From the moment we arrived they made sure we felt right at home and had everything we needed. One of our group had forgotten a toothbrush and asked about the nearest shop to go & buy a new one. Samir told us just to relax and before we had even unpacked Samir had gone & got a new brush and toothpaste!

We were particularly happy with the location. The medina is crazy, intense & at times overwhelming so being able to come into the calmness of the riad and relax with tea & cake straight away was a welcome retreat. The cakes were different & tasty each day, so even without the excuse of being frazzled & harassed, tea and cake became our happy afternoon ritual.

Being able to walk safely on a well lit & populated street also helped us feel confident & independent with getting to & from the night markets. We noticed other accommodation options nearby were often down dark, slightly dodgy looking alley ways. So I feel like we made the best choice for us. If ever we felt unsure about venturing out somewhere new, a staff member would offer to show us the way or book a trusted taxi driver. This was really appreciated.

The staff arranged a hammam for us, booking a driver to take us to & from, at a very reasonable price. I recommend this experience after a busy day of walking.

The food at the riad is delicious, as ardent foodies we are pretty fussy and I can safely say the breakfasts were a highlight of our day. SO MUCH FOOD! Freshly baked Moroccan style breads, traditional soups. Fresh fruit & juices. All tasty. We also had the set menu and tried camel for the first time, I recommend trying this, it was actually quite good.

I will definitely chose this riad again & recommend it to anyone I know going to Marrakech.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank L H
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We have just returned from an incredible stay at Riad Dar Anika. If you want a real Marrakech experience with fantastic service then you should definitely stay here too.

Prior to arrival we arranged our airport transfers via email with Riad Dar Anika (complimentary if you book a suite) which I would highly recommend as you are dropped off at the nearest point a car can go (no cars on most streets in the Medina) and met by a member of staff to take you a few metres to the riad.

When we arrived were given cool towels, rose water for our hands and a rose. Then we were served glasses of milk with dates followed by traditional mint tea with pastries while our bags were taken to our room. We were given a map and talked about what we would like to see in Marrakech with the owner. Anything was possible to arrange through the riad.

We stayed in room 1 which is one of the 2 suites in the riad and it was a gorgeous room. The staff had scattered rose petals everywhere and there were lots of thoughtful touches like fresh fruit, pastries, bottled water and fresh flowers. The bathroom was complete with little jars of toiletries, towel dressing gowns and more flowers. It is a really beautiful room with stained glass windows and 4 poster bed, all designed in traditional style. This room is away from the street and even though we didn’t use the specially designed sound proofing cushions for the windows (we chose to leave these in the cupboards) we slept really well and weren’t disturbed at all.

The highlight of our stay was the dinner we had on our first night. A table had been set for us downstairs by the pool but we really wanted to eat upstairs on the outside terrace. So we were given complimentary drinks as the staff quickly set a table for us in a traditional tent on the terrace. It really was the most romantic setting. The riad had emailed the menu for a 3 course set meal and we had chosen starters and main courses but didn’t expect the feast that we were served. I don’t want to spoil the surprise for anyone, but this would be my biggest and number 1 recommendation in Marrakech because the food, setting and service was simply stunning. We highly recommend the Special dish of Dar Anika which was a delicious camel and prune tagine. This incredible meal only cost £35 each excluding drinks and it was a true taste of Marrakech with real home cooked food.

We also booked a private hammam which I would highly recommend (about £30 each) which was well worth it. The whole experience lasted just over an hour and our skin felt amazing after all the scrubs, oils and natural local products. Afterwards we sat in the lounge in front of a real fire and were served a fresh beetroot juice then a mint tea. It was my partners birthday and the staff chose this opportunity to bring him a homemade birthday cake, flowers and sing happy birthday (in 4 different languages!!) which was really thoughtful and totally unexpected.

Complimentary tea and cake is served every afternoon but we preferred to sit on the top terrace with a few beers, nuts and olives, watching the streets below as the sun set with CousCous, the resident tortoise.

Breakfast was a real treat and it was served whenever and wherever you wanted it. It was so fresh and the warm breads, pancakes, fruits and yoghurt and strong coffee set us up for the day, we didn’t eat lunch as breakfast was so filling.

The riad is really beautiful. It is well maintained and a real Morrocan experience but it’s the staff and the service which make it stand above and beyond the rest. Every member of staff we met was warm, genuine and friendly, we felt like we were treated like royalty. The riad is a total oasis of calm in such a chaotic city. Marrakech is a must see city and a stay at Dar Anika will ensure you make the most of it.

I feel like this review is a little long but I really want to express what an amazing place this is and how wonderful the staff are. I don’t normally go back to the same city twice as I think there are so many places to visit but we both agreed that we would go back to Riad Dar Anika again and we would definitely book for longer than 2 nights as they made it such a special trip.

Room Tip: Room 1 was beautiful and had a lovely bathroom. It is also away from the street so we weren't di...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DMonster18
Northants
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Our stay in this Riad during February Half Term has prompted me to post my first ever review on a hotel, as we had the most wonderful time here. From the moment that we walked through the doors from the mayhem of the street into this peaceful haven we were made to feel so welcome; this Riad is a delight. The service from every member of staff was outstanding - absolutely faultless. There were so many lovely touches that made the service personal including cake, flowers and all the staff gathering to sing happy birthday in 3 different languages on my husband's birthday! Their aim is to help you get the most from your holiday and have a trouble free Marrakesh experience whilst delivering outstanding service. They really do think of everything and we loved it. I would not hesitate to recommend to family and friends and is definitely to be revisited by us!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2 which was large with a feature domed ceiling and fireplace. Lovely!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Claki
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I have stayed and visited some of the top luxury Riads / Hotels in Marrackech, though I choose Riad dar Anika for my last trip and i"m so pleased I did. The staff were simply fantastic and I felt 100% looked after from the moment I checked in until I left. Samir and his staff are ready to cater to your every need and plan a complete experience including spa and excursions.

I contacted the Riad prior to booking to discuss my plans and was put completely at ease that they could provide everything I was looking for. It lived up to my every expectation. I highly recommend reaching out prior to booking if you are considering where to stay.

The Riad and the rooms are extremely comfortable and charming, a beautiful respite from the busy streets of Marrakech. Bathrooms and products are great - only wish I had brought some of the shampoo home with me. The food was amazing and after dinner at some finer establishments in the city, I can say I was happy to have dinner at the Riad several times on this trip.

Thank you to the amazing staff for an exceptional stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank lotuslight73
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Before we even arrived Dar Anika had regular email contact giving us advice on services they provided and things we could do once in Marrakech. We booked transport from the airport, hamman, massage, a guided tour of the city and a traditional Moroccan dinner for the night of our arrival even before getting there.

The pick up from the airport was seamless and we were glad that we had a driver that knew where to take us as the door to Dar Anika could be missed if you did not know where it was! Once you enter you are greeted by a beautiful tranquil oasis which is in stark contrast to the crazy hustle bustle of the Marrakech streets!

On our arrival we were taken to sit in a lovely lounge with a live fire and given fresh mint tea, milk, pastries and dates to refresh ourselves. Once we were settled the manager Samir came to sit with us and he gave us a map of the city and marked different places we should see such as the palaces, souks and gardens and he also showed us where to go for lunch and dinners. He even offered us a free room upgrade, but because our room had been so beautifully decorated with rose petals I didn’t want to move!

The dinner at Dar Anika is delicious, but you need to make sure you have not eaten too much at lunch time as you receive a feast! The complimentary breakfast is also fantastic as you receive loads of dishes such as yoghurt, fresh fruit salad, pancakes, cake, warm bread, SOUP!!, and any type of eggs you care to name!

The guided tour of the city is a must as it helps you to get your bearings and allows you to see parts of the city you may miss if you were just to walk around on your own.

In the evenings Dar Anika were so fantastic and allowed us to use the lounge as our own personal place and we watched films on the TV by the fire with a bottle of wine on a couple of occasions. One night we went to Comptoire, (a restaurant with belly dancing) that Samir has recommended and that was really fantastic. Another MUST SEE is the Circus. You are able to hold baby lions and the circus acts are astounding! It is great great value for money!

We were unfortunate with the weather as it was quite cold and rainy on a couple of days, but on those days Dar Anika arranged for a lady to come to the Riad to provide Hamman for us both, then separate ladies to come in and do traditional Moroccan massages and Samir even organised free of charge for a lady to come in a do henna for me.

The Wi-Fi has a good connection and my partner was able to deal with work emails quickly and efficiently.

The staff at Dar Anika cannot do enough for you. We had great banter with our waiters and on the day it was sunny we were able to eat breakfast on the roof under a beautiful tent.
Overall I would thoroughly recommend Dar Anika for couples looking for a romantic getaway. Due to the fact that there are only 12 rooms the service is so personal and Dar Anika will bend over backwards to make your stay a special one. On our last day we were even given complimentary glasses of wine whilst we waited for our taxi to take us to the airport and then we were given a delicious packed lunch to take to the airport!!! I would most definitely go back and would recommend Dar Anika to my friends.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Charlotte V
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Look no further than Riad Dar Anika, calm, relaxed and informal. I felt like a king as every whim was catered, from transportation and transfers, to the medina tour with private guide. Dar Anika staff show a real interest in guests comfort and holiday enjoyment and go out of their way to ensure you are comfortable.

The courtyard at the heart of the building has a heated pool on one side and a cosy enclosed lounge with fireplace on the other side. A private on-site hammam can be arranged, followed up by a private massage. Mineral water, flowers and Moroccan pastries are found in the room on arrival. All rooms are modern with telephone, Wi-fi, safe, and air-conditioned and equipped with private bathroom. Enjoy the roof terrace, with a view of the snow-covered Atlas Mountains in the distance.

The location is close to the Badii Palace, the Saadian tombs and the bizarrely interesting Djemaa El Fna square with all the hustle and bustle of the souk outside the door.

Possibly the best breakfast ever!

Dar Anika went above and beyond my expectations, a real pleasurable stay that could be hard to beat with its very personal attention to service, ensuring every individual need is met.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo