“Idyllic escape in the heart of the medina”
Review of Palais Donab

Palais Donab
Ranked #193 of 1,139 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Idyllic escape in the heart of the medina”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Really great place from which to explore the frenetic medina. Some of the best food we had in Morocco . Great Service. Very relaxing after the hustle and bustle of Marrakech . Only 6 rooms means that it feels very spacious. Just Fabulous, would come back to Marrakech just to chill out here without setting foot outside!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Palais dar Donab is a beautiful spot in the heart of the medina. Whilst only a few mins stroll from the Place Jemaa el F'na, it is quiet and very peaceful - and the perfect place to chill out whilst enjoying beautiful food and drink. The hotel is larger than the average Riad but this is a huge advantage as the setting is lovely, with a large pool, fabulous rooms and very impressive public areas - as well as bars and interior restaurant...
I stayed in the Koutobia Suite which was large and sumptuous whilst my friends took the Royale Suite which was utterly sublime in a OTT way and larger than most flats in London.
Overall a fab hotel with great staff, fantastic food and the perfect location for sightseeing and enjoying the best of Marrakech

Room Tip: The Jasmin Suite has its own terrace but all the rooms are superb...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Thaibeachfan
Zurich
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We have been there yesterday for dinner and had one of our best dinners in Marrakech. Goo food, very good service (even if we arrived very late they still served us food) and nice ambience near to the pool with relaxing chill-out music. Nice deco inside the ryad. Simply great!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank ValeM512
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a very ornate hotel, I say hotel as I would not describe this as a Riad, it feels very much like a business rather than a family run place. However, the staff are very friendly and the position of the hotel is very quiet. We had the Konoutobia Suite which was aesthetically very beautiful although it had a very strong smell of mothballs which wasn't very pleasant. The pool is amazing and much needed in the August heat. I was unsure at first if it was okay to lie by it in a bikini as when we stayed the hotel was very quiet with very few guests, but I did and it was all fine. The food was fine but nothing spectacular. We were a little disappointed when we were being served instant coffee which she said shen ew asked that it was from 'Asda' however, she did make some fresh coffee for us in the end. I would certainly recommend Donab to stay in Marrakech although I would suggest using it as a base and eating out which is what we did, but this is such a romantic stunning place to stay you would be mad not to treat yourselves.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 6 nights and we couldn't have had any more excellent service. The room was beautiful and the up keep of the gardens and surroundings are gorgeous especially compared to other riads. It is only 10 mins from the main square and souks ad only 1 minute away from a Spa - which was much to my delight.

The breakfast / lunch and dinner were all of great quality, some may say service is slow but I wouldn't agree at all. All the staff were attentive and knew us by name by the end of our stay.

I couldn't recommend this as a place to stay enough. We stayed in the yasmine suite but I can imagine that all the rooms as lovely.

A special thanks goes to a gentleman called Abdullah who looked after us everyday whilst we were chilling by the pool.

Room Tip: Yasmine suite is perfect for 3 friends as it is definitely bigger enough and also great for couples.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We discovered the Palais Donab by chance one hot day, and had lunch by the poolside under the
benign cover of orange and lemon trees. We were so enchanted that we went back 5 times during our short stay in Marrakech.
The staff are quiet, gentle and helpful but don't expect speedy service, not that this matters as you sip a glass of Rose and take in the beautiful surroundings. The menu is not extensive but it is well cooked and very tasty.
I would love to stay here one day, budget depending!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thetford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Though not staying at the hotel, I stopped here for dinner on my second night in Marrakech. I sat under the orange trees at a table next to the pool. The food and service were first rate, and the atmosphere superb as evening fell and I just let the experience wash over me. The tables were nicely set out, and the chance to enjoy a drink, while waiting for the food was really welcome.

I had Moroccan bread and mixed olives, followed by pastilla fruits de mer. The mains was well presented with lemon slices and capers, and the pastry was light and crispy. The seafood filling was beautifully spiced and the flavours were really fabulous together.

The meal was leisurely, and there was no sense of being rushed by the staff. All in all a great meal, and a wonderful evening.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo