WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Riad El Az Good value Riad” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riad El Az

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad El Az
Ranked #823 of 1,186 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Hampshire
“Riad El Az Good value Riad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2007

We stayed here at the end of January for 3 nights, for a short children-free break!! We found the Riad fairly easy, first we took a taxi from the airport to the nearby hospital and then a young boy took us to the Riad (a short walk away), for a few dirhams. We found the Riad easily after that first time.

The Riad was exactly how it is portrayed in the photos I've seen, however, my first impression was that it was a little more tired than I had imagined. That aside, I really loved the decor and found it very tranquil away from all the hussle and bustle.

I would say it was very tidy and was clean to a reasonable level. It was very quiet the whole time we were there, as there was only one other couple staying there and only rare appearances from staff.

It was very cold when we were there, but they had portable radiators and gas heaters in rooms, which helped alot. I also noticed a new air-con unit in our room (I'm assuming all the rooms did, although I didnt check).

The courtyard and rooftop terrace were really nice, and I imagine on a nice sunny day it would be more enjoyable than our experience (we did sit on the roof once,but in our fleeces and freezing!)

The walk to the square took around 10 mins and wasnt a bad spot within the Old Medina, but I think I would've prefered one of the Riads that were in the Souks, so you were more in the heart of it all.

We really enjoyed our stay here and would recommend this Riad, however, have not seen any others so I have nothing to compare.

Stayed January 2007

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2006

If I came to Marrakech again I would definitely stay at this place again.

The Riad is quite tastefully and comfortably decorated. My partner and I stayed in December and heating was provided in our room. The rooms and the common areas were kept tidy and spotless.

The staff were very friendly and the overall feel of the Riad was quite relaxing. Sitting on the cushions on the roof terrace and in the court yard was great. Breakfast was included in the price and there was plenty of it. Pan cakes every day.

It is tucked away in a quiet alley and that is part of its charm. It feels like a little world of luxury away from the hectic, but fun, souks.

• Liked — The Court Yard
  • Disliked — Hot water would fluctuate whilst showering.
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you have a contact number upon arrival because you will need help finding it. Once you have found it you will remember how to get there again.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank Darrbru
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2006

My partner and I stayed at this riad July 7 & 8. This riad is located in an offshoot of an alleyway, at the end of a small blind alley; it's very important that you have the contact number to call when you arrive. You will not find it on your own! We enjoyed our stay there, although we were at the riad during a heat wave and were a little uncomfortable at night without air conditioning. What was lacking in air conditioning was made up for in other ways. The concierge Yousef was extremely helpful in assisting our planning of the weekend, as we expected to be in Essaouira for the remainder of the trip, and even helped us cash some traveller's cheques at a hotel. Warning - do not bring traveller's cheques to morocco - the vast majority of bank branches do not exchange them. Also, make sure you have your passport number with you at the hotels as they are required to have this information documented by law (my partner left his passport at his apartment in Casablanca). Bring a ton of patience with you to Marrakesh - you will likely get lost more than once, people with monkeys will come up to you and harrass you, children selling sweets may invade your personal space, the maps are confusing, orange juice vendors will shout at you....but the average moroccan is a very decent person, and you'll have a great experience.

• Liked — troubleshooting offered by concierge
  • Disliked — no A/C and the place in general (particularly the public parts) could have been cleaner
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2006

This is a small Riad, only 5 very spacious rooms all with private bathroom. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean and they were maintained like that throughout our stay.
It is well located, a 5-10 minutes walk to Djema el Fna and about the same time walking to the entrance of the Saadian Tombs.
My wife loved the decoration, it was a tasty mixture of modern and tradtional Moroccan elements.
It has a terrace on the roof that is great to spend the evenings.

• Stayed June 2006