“So welcoming”
Review of Riad El Sagaya

Riad El Sagaya
Ranked #246 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed December 1, 2013

You arrive in a busy noisy street but find when you step into the Riad calm and charming place. Yassine speaks good English and is a great character who is so helpful and makes sure that you are having a good time. My daughter and I had a great short break.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Lizandmiranda

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Had a brilliant time at the riad, beautiful and peaceful. Lovely staff, very helpful, breakfast is great. Make sure you meet Yassine, true legend. Very Clean with a wonderful rooftop. Definitely stay here when you come to Marrakech! We truly recommend!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Once inside, this is an oasis with plants, a fountain, clean spacious baths. The design is authentic, lovingly furnished. The staff is very helpful and the food is plenty + well prepared. It is best to get there from the city gate where the street is not covered (a very short 3-min walk).

If you come from the opposite side, via the Medina, you have to make your way through suffocating + deafening moped exhaust that drives tears to your eyes. In other parts of the Medina, the streets are shaded by reeds. Here it is mostly corrugated metal, trapping the fumes + noises (much worse for the market people who have to endure this daily).

I hope the Riad owners in the neighborhood find a way to limit the traffic or increase ventilation. (In Meknes or Fez there is no motorized traffic in the inner Medina.)

And to end on a romantic note, enjoy the cry of roosters from one of the lounge chairs on the beautiful roof terrace.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank WanderLustig55
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed here, it was an oasis of calm away from the craziness of Marrakech, it is in a great location, easy to walk around, lovely rooms, simply decorated, lovely food, great atmosphere, very much made to feel at home. However, what really made our trip was the kindness, the helpfulness and genuine friendliness and care that Youssef, Yasmeen and the rest of the staff gave us, they couldn't have been nicer, we will definitely be back- we highly recommend it

Room Tip: we looked into several of the rooms, they are all lovely, the one on the ground floor on the right h...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have just stayed in El sagaya and it was a lovely experience. I don't think I could have coped with the madness I marrakech without the riad to go home to. Knowing I had a place to escape to was an important factor in me having a Good time.

The riad itself is gorgeous. There is a pool in the center which you can swim in however I didn't see anyone swim while we were there. The rooms are a good size, authentic looking and have good air conditioning. There is no noise from the street so it is very peaceful.

The staff were friendly. The two girls didn't speak much English but helped where they could. They also cooked the best lunch we had and it was very good value, 100 dirhams i think. There was a guy (who's name escapes me) who was lovely and a great help. We shared his shish with him on the roof terrace which is absolutely beautiful.

I would definitely go back to this riad if I went back to marrakech.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Fantastic riad, an oasis of calm and tranquility in the heart of the medina. Beautiful, simple traditional rooms, great friendly, cheerful and helpful staff, lovely rood top terrace. Well placed for walking to all the sites. I wish I could have stayed longer - recommended!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely and even those nearest the street are amazingly quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I thought this place was nice but now I am home I realise our holiday would not of have been the same without it it. It is such a calm tranquil place. The street outside is mental! Marrakech generally is mental so this was a lifeline for ensuring we had some peace and restful periods. The guy that works there is a credit to the place, very genuine, friendly and welcoming. We had many chats over mint tea on the roof terrace with the dog & the tortoise as the sun was setting. The girls who do the cleaning & breakfast are very sweet and smiley and spend the whole day cleaning- our room was cleaned everyday. It was 38 degrees during our trip so although the pool was freezing it was very appreciated, as was the air con in the room at night, the coolness of the riad generally and the breeze that you can get up on the lovely roof terrace. In the first few days I was put off by the half hour walk to the main square via the easy main roads- in the heat it feels like hard work but then we discovered the much shorter & more interesting route through the souks (20 mins) and found that that provided we walked back to the riad around 9 this was safe. Walk back any later through the souks and they get a bit sketchy- cue lots of lurking figures aggressively insisting the "the road is closed" "that way only lead to the mosque" etc etc! Breakfast is the same everyday, basic but nice and good for the price of the riad (coffee, fresh orange juice, moroccan pancakes, bread & jam).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple