Moroccan House Hotel
$249
$225
$1,058
$1,019
All reviewsroof terraceatlas mountainshalf hour walkfour poster bedcharming hotelthe main squaretraditional styletagineold cityjemaa elfridgecerealguelizmedinamoroccotaxiscasablanca
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is the first time that I have ever walked out of a hotel. On arrival we discovered that we were room only, not bed and breakfast as booked. We were guided to our room and to say we were disappointed is an understatement. The room was tiny withe smallest double bed in history, the bathroom was filthy and unkempt and Liberace would have been proud of the nylon leopard skin bed sheets! The air conditioning beeped loudly once every two seconds unless switched off, the fridge was attempting to grow what appeared to be a new civilisations worth of mould and the windows were screwed shut. I have travelled all over the world and stayed I the best and worst of hotels, this place beats the latter by a country mile. Avoid like the plague.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Damian V
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Ok, firstly the rooms weren't perfect, they were a little worn and tired but they were clean and kept very clean during my stay. I found the majority of staff very helpful, the others were ok. I found the location within the new town perfect. It is definitely about a 30 min walk to the Medina or a cheap taxi ride but both were fine for me. It's location was perfect for me in the respect that when I needed a break from the chaos and excitement of the Medina, I could return here and chill in very French feeling of Gueliz with its cafe culture, restaurants and clubs/bars. Breakfast was best taken on the terrace overlooking the city and Atlas mountains in the distance. I would also recommend getting the reception to arrange transfers to and from the airport as it will cost you about half of what the taxi drivers ask. One thing though you may also wish to note is that if you are a light sleeper then avoid the rooms at the front of the hotel as a newly opened Snooker/pool club has opened nearby and attracts alot of Marrakechi youths and the noise that comes with it, though it didn't bother me personally. Great place to stay, with great staff and in a great location if you don't want to stay within the walls of the Medina.

Room Tip: Avoid the front of hotel if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank canary4life2013
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We have never been to Morocco before so this was a tester to see if we liked it. All I can say is that everything surpassed our hopes and expectations. The hotel was comfortable, clean, friendly - the decoration in traditional style was great, the staff were super, nothing was too much to ask of them, and they were very willing to give advice and directions to places of interest. The food was Moroccan and even though my husband is a picky eater, he had no problems with the breakfast and evening meals served at the hotel. Would we go back again? YES.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Heather H
Reviewed November 11, 2013

What to say about this hotel? Entertaining certainly. The decor, though a bit scruffy around the edges, is impressive, albeit a bit overpowering in the rooms. The room was small, but clean and ok; the bathroom looked like it had been decorated by a small child, but was also clean and - just about - ok. Well, everything worked. Breakfast on the roof was nice; good selection, good views; not very interested staff: cook your omelette, but don't bother to tell you when it's done. Pool quite good, though not a lot of seating; you have to be quick. If you get a sunbed, then it is a nice place to relax during the hot part of the day. Location is good: walking distance of several good restaurants and of Jardin Majorelle, and of the souk if you are up to it. Best (and worst): the reception staff who seem to enjoy winding customers up: other staff - especially ladies - good. On balance, ok for the price but not somewhere that I would want to stop again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kpw60
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The room (44) was quite dark and overpowered by frilly drapes around the bed. The fitted sheet was synthetic fabrics and the duvet heavy. The duvet cover was a brushed synthetic microfibre type fabric which had tigers printed on it.
The bathroom was functional and although we had a problem with the shower it was dealt with immediately and a new hose and head fitted.
The air conditioning worked but was a little noisy.
We were on half board and stayed three nights. The food although repetitive it was good value for the price paid. Breakfast had too many pastries and not enough fresh fruit, yoghurt would have been a nice addition.
I thought that it being a hotel alcohol may have been an option at dinner but this wasn't the case.
We looked at the pool on our first morning and decided that it looked a little suspect, the water a bit murky and I couldn't see the bottom, we decided not to bother!
The walk into the main square, down the Avenue Mohammed V, which we did everyday in both directions, took at least 40 minutes, not the 20 as suggested in other reviews( unless there was a shortcut we didn't find!) the road is busy and there are a few roundabouts to cross which can be tricky.
All in all we quite enjoyed our stay but it could be made so much better with some minor changes to rooms and breakfast. On previous visit we stayed at a riad in the Medina for only a little more money and would certainly recommend looking at other options or doing more research before booking - we didn't!

• Stayed: October 2013