“A serene oasis”

and 1 more site!
Riad Azzar
Ranked #508 of 1,171 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2006

My daughter and I stayed at Riad Azzar for 5 nights in September as two of a group of 10. Between us we booked out all the rooms and it was lovely to feel that we had the entire place to ourselves. The Riad is beautifully decorated and a wonderfully serene atmosphere has been created which was welcomed after the frantic sights and sounds of the souks. My daughter and I had the Zemmour bedroom which was stunning.
The owners, Maryke and Cess, were most welcoming and very helpful. The Riad staff were also very helpful and delighted that we ate in on two occasions. I spoke French to the staff as their english was limited.
I look forward to the opportunity to stay once more at Riad Azzar.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank Blusouq

Reviewed October 8, 2006

What a perfect little piece of Paradise amongst the mayhem of Marrakech!
No more than 5 minutes easy walk from the market place, Riad Azzar was the perfect haven to return to after a hectic day of shopping/eating/touring.
We booked out the whole Riad as we travelled as a family group of 10 including 3 teenagers and it suited us all.
Cees and Maryk were always willing to help us get the best out of our stay and joined us in the evening on a couple of occassions for a glass of wine on the roof terrace to hear of our daily adventures.
The staff were friendly and discreet.
Sometimes it was a bit noisy in the morning as there is a Riad next door being renovated and the workmen and donkeys seemed to start at dawn!
Our personal room was next to the pool with no air conditioning but it remained quite cool and they do provide a fan if needed.
The Riad does not personally do your laundry (which we needed after 5 days on the road and having 2 teenage boys) but just a minutes walk away is a laundry service that was cheap and efficient.
I would definitely stay here again if returning to Marrakech.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank March3000
Reviewed October 3, 2006

We stayed here for my boyfriend's birthday with friends. This is a lovely Riad which is in the perfect location just a few minutes away from the busy souks - a great place to recover and relax after sightseeing and shopping! We stayed in the suites which were wonderful especially as they had air-con. The pool is lovely and essential and the staff very friendly and try to be as helpful as possible.

The only reason I have not given this five top marks is because the owners, both very friendly and helpful, are not always aware of the managerment confusion at the Riad and the end result is that it can be a bit sloppy. On two occasions (returning to the airport and the final bill) they were not around to help sort some management issues out as they had left and the staff of the Riad only speak french - thankfully I can speak French so we managed, but had we not it would have been far more difficult to sort out.

Overall I would definetely recommend this place, but just be aware that the owners are not there all the time so some things can get complicated - also (and this is true for the whole of Marrakech) brush up on your French!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank LOC1
Reviewed September 28, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at Riad Azzar for three nights in September 2006. The raid is right in the Medina but once you are inside you would never know you are so close to so much noise, it is so quiet. The staff our friendly and the rooms are beautiful. We did not eat there for dinner (I am sure this is how they make the real money) so I think they were a little annoyed with us but the overall experience was good and I would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank spinches
Reviewed September 27, 2006

My husband, baby daughter and I had a great 3 night stay in Riad Azzar at the beginning of September 06. Apart from being a lovely place (small and intimate with just 6 rooms) the staff & owners were fantastic - really making you feel welcome and at home, booking restaurants and taxis and advising on what to do in the city. Also, Marys and Cees (the owners) sorted out a delivery problem for us involving lots of negotiations with UPS Casablanca which was definitely above and beyond the call of duty. All the provisions were there for our baby (including cooking steamed vegetables if we wanted) and she was a very happy girl - particularly with all the attention she got from the staff! If she's happy, her mum & dad are happy!

My one slight bug bear is that the cost of transport booked through the hotel was not partiuclarly cheap - we paid 200 DH to get a pick up from the airport which was double what we paid on the way back and also the taxi to Essaouira was 1100 DH - on the way back we only paid 880DH booked through the hotel we were staying in there. So, definitely stay there - we would go back tomorrow if we could but maybe sort out cheaper transport elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2006

When we entered the cool courtyard of the Riad, we stared with open mouths at the beautiful courtyard pool, large palms and a scene from a design magazine. Restful music played in the background, and Cees, one of our hosts, appeared to greet us. The check-in procedure was unlike any we'd ever experienced - sitting on the roof terrace eating tea and home made pastries, whilst chatting to Cees and Maryk about how they came to Morocco to run a guest house. Our room was the only twin room in the riad. None of the bedrooms have locks, which is unsettling at first, but you realise that you have to just relax and see this as a stay in someone else's house. The best thing is the food here - the breakfasts are divine, and for dinner, just tell the cook what you'd like. She'll go out to the market that day and cook it for you in the evening.
The location is just a few minutes walk from the Djemma al Fna. Some of the streets around the Riad are a bit quiet at night and we were made uneasy at times by the youths playing around there. Two girls going to Marrakech is fun but can be quite exhausting at times - the locals like to give you lots of attention!

1  Thank Lovesboutiquehotels
Reviewed August 6, 2006

My girlfriend (now fiancee - we got engaged whilst in the Sahara) and I spent 3 nights at the Azzar last weekend to celebrate our first anniversary together. I chose it as it was the top rated B&B in Marrakech on Trip Advisor.

We stayed in the ground floor Mediouna room, which was the cheapest and without a/c, but even in the very high temperatures the fan in the room was enough to get a good night's sleep. Everything about the decor was fantastic, our room was beautiful, as were the courtyard and plunge pool and the roof terrace.

The owners, Cees and Maryk, welcomed us, gave advice when needed and organised restaurant a booking for us, nothing was too much trouble. The other staff are very helpful too, knowing when to be in the background and when to help out.

The Azzar is also very close to the main square and easy to find, something you'll be glad of considering the labyrinthine nature of the souks.

Wonderful stay, beautiful place, excellent service, the only downside was that I found the meals and drinks in the hotel very expensive, which I didn't realise until i got the final bill!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple