We booked Lotus Pearle and were taken to Ambre with no explanation.
The alleyway leading to the Riad is horrible and a lone woman would find it intimidating at night (see photo). The staff do not speak English and despite me asking for an explanation as to what was going on were were left in the courtyard for around an hour with a simple request to just wait!
The courtyard is dark, damp and the furniture dirty and tatty. Eventually the Manager of Pearle arrive to inform us that the room we booked had a problem and that the only room available was the suite in Ambre, as it was now 6pm and we only had one night in Marrakech we agreed.
Once he left and we had time to look more closely I was shocked at a number of things -
1. The electrical wiring in the room was not safe and no fit to be let out - See pictures
2. The Drain cover of our shower was missing and an old plasic bag stuffed in the pipe - not sure of this was to stop things comming up from the drain or what, but not hygenic at all! (See photo)
3. The stairs to the room are very steep and the light switch did not work, lucky we had a small torch.
4. We had a Hammam included in our rate and went to use it but again the standard of the room was very poor, it was not suitable to use and we left.
5. The room was just off from the main reception and entrance, and we found any noise such as the reception phone etc could be clearly hear so not relaxing at all.
6. They claim to have a CD library - they do not.
7. They had a portable electrical heater in the room as the actual heater / aircon unit did not work.
During the rest of the week we had in Morrocco I tried consistantly to get intouch with the manager of Pearle he ignored all my calls and texts. It took me three days to get the email of their GM from their sales manager and todate the GM has ignored my emails as well.
The breakfast we were served was again not good and we felt we ran the risk of food poisoning by the general standards of this Riad.
In conclusion - a very poor location, a rundown, tatty Riad not reflecting the image Lotus wish to present of being trendy and up market. The staff and the management reflect this general standard and so our experience as a whole was awfull, we were glad to get away. Yes we feel cheated and I would advise anyone considering Lotus to consider carefully before booking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In Marrakech just a stone's throw from Jemaa-El-Fna square and hidden away in one of the most ancient alleyways of the Old City. Whisper its name: Amber. The first of the Lotus Riads. A luxury guesthouse, but also an elegantly decorated palace concealed beneath the hustle and bustle of the city. An original Riad whose welcoming atmosphere and subtle comfort fits in perfectly with our Lotus chain philosophy, always a guarantee of quality and outstanding service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Travelocity so you can book your Riad Lotus Ambre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riad Lotus Ambre Marrakech
- Riad Lotus Ambre Hotel Marrakech