“The place is Amazing, the people very Kind, we had delightful moments.”
Review of Riad Dar Karma

Riad Dar Karma
Ranked #175 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I thought the whole trip was perfect, really recommend the Riad Dar Karma. Small but welcoming and homey and cozey! you should stay at least a coupple of nights. "Ca vaut le détour"!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chenia84

Reviewed August 10, 2009

Marrakech is one of my favorite destination for holiday and I must admit that this Riad is the best were I ever stayed in Marrakech. I have been there last month and I really enjoyed my stay! The staff was really helpful and customer satisfaction oriented. The Riad offers a perfect location. This was a really great stay and I recommend the Riad Dar Karma to everyone willing to spend a nice time in Marrakech.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chacha92
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I absolutely loved this place. I stayed there for 4 days, it is a little piece of paradise in the Medina. The staff is extremely professional and welcoming, the decor is even more beautiful than on the photos on the website. They offer all kind of spa services, to relax after a day spent wandering around the kasbah. I HIGHLY recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank dorotheew
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Hi;
I wanted to help as many first time traveller’s the Marrakech as quickly as possible, so greetings from Marrakech. Having never been to Maroc I surveyed several colleagues who had in the past few years and got responses as varied as some of the postings I see on tripadvisor. As a 6' blonde who attracts a bit of attention on my home streets in America I had many questions about my trip; which is for work so unavoidable.
I love to travel & experience the places I'm visiting. I wear comforable clothes, grab a map & leave my hotel in a different direction each time. So I opted to follow the advice to stay in a Riad in the medina (old city). I was too late to book into the conference hotel and boy am I glad! I have the displeasure of spending my days at the conference hotel (which I haven't decided to fully bash in a review, yet) and the contrast between there and "coming home" in the evenings is surreal! & I’ve only been here 3 days! I cannot speak highly enough of the staff at the Dar Karma. I will say it helps that I speak French. I think Achmed speaks fair English, but Abdu and I speak only in French; the maids speak some French but fetch Achmed & Abdu for things like directions,etc.
This is my first tripadvisor review and I am aware I'm not strictly ranking the Riad on bed comfort & bathroom cleanliness (both superb by the way) But I wanted to get the word out that the Dar Karma or any Riad you find inside the medina is the way to go. Bypass those western style money holes outside the medina unless your ideal is you and 60 other westerners rotating in the sun by a pool while rude waiters bring you $7 bottles of water and $12 coffees. Me I'll stay in my little slice of heaven, writing this while being gently cooled by the evening breeze on the roof terrace (pictures to come); hearing the sounds of the medina softly wafting up, while peering the tips of the Atlas mountains (just barely) visible over the roof wall. Oh, I think Abdu is calling me to dinner. More to follow after I return from what thus far is a unique and fantastic experience.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2008

Riad Dar Karma is a truly stunning location for a holiday. It exudes class in a refined and understated way. The staff are excellent and unobtrusive – things just happen often without the need to ask. Riad Dar Karma is an oasis of calm tranquility in a busy and hectic city.

From the moment we arrived at the airport and were met by the Riad’s driver, to the moment we left we were made to feel welcome and special. Nothing was ever too much trouble, and small things were effortlessly taken care of (such as an evening aperitif on the balcony).

We stayed in one of the suites (on the first floor) which comes compete with private balcony overlooking the main courtyard. The furnishing is stylish but understated, and the room was airy and cool in spite of the temperature reaching 35C.

One recommendation would be to eat in the Riad as the dinners were excellent and at 270 Dh (approx £18) represent great value for money, and is served anywhere you would like (the roof terrace, courtyard, lounge, balcony, room etc). It is particularly good after a long day haggling in the souks to come back and have dinner waiting for you. Compared to some of the restaurants we found in Marrakech (which were frankly disappointing and expensive) eating in the Riad is a great option. The one exception was Kosybar, which we thought was pretty good, and not too far from Dar Karma.

Abdul, Ahmed and the rest of Stepanie’s team provided first class service, and the Riad Dar Karma has a soul and vibe that I suspect you don’t get in some of the larger riads. Only having 6 rooms means that you are always a special guest. As Stephanie put it “while you are here, this is your home”… if only our home was that amazing!

Riad Dar Karma – 11/10 from 2 very happy guests.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Confirming previous reports, Dar El Karma was for us quite a find. Walking through the unassuming door in the jostling backstreets of the Medina you transport into a truly welcoming and calm oasis.

All of the staff made our stay very pleasureable and relaxing. This for us was a refreshing change from big name 5* hotels with the Riad encouraging a home away from home style but with all the luxury one might expect. With only 5 rooms and 2 stunning suites the place is suitably spacious with plenty of options for solitude or meeting other guests depending on your preference. Breakfast each morning on the roof terrace was one of our particular favourite touches - especially arriving from London in March!

Can only imagine this place will shoot up the league tables of Trip advisor so do not hesitate and try this place out!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 20, 2008

Well worth it's 5 stars.

An unassuming door leads to a beautiful, cool, stylish, friendly, tasty and comfortable retreat from the dirty, hectic, beggar-filled city.

Abdul is a wonderful 'concierge' although 'host' would probably be a better word - in keeping with a lot of the population he seemed to take a personal interest in our comfort rather than it being his job.

Our room on the first floor was great, huge bathroom, huge shower, large terrace. The food was very good - traditional moroccan. Breakfast is very enjoyable if fairly limited, whether on the enormous roof terrace, down in the courtyard or in the lounge with fire.

We didn't use the pool but it looked nice.

Admittedly it's not in the most salubrious location, although we never felt in any danger here, in the souks or anywhere else, neither during the day nor in the evening. We were acosted once by a man and once by a young boy as we took the turning off the main street. They then proceed to shadow you to the Riad and expect a tip for showing you the way even though you didnt ask for it or need it. The simplest thing is just to pay it - 10 dirhams (70 pence) makes them very happy. Otherwise just stop and refuse to go on until they go away.

Having only travelled in Europe and North America, it was a welcome change to be somewhere more interesting but also more down to earth and we loved our trip to Dar Karma (3 nights) then the Virgin Kasbah Tamadot in the Atlas Mountains (3 nights).

Marrakech:
A 7 out of 10 dinner at Le Tanjia is rewarded by a belly dancing show.
Dinner at Al Fassia was also about 7 out of 10. It's run totally by women, some of who seem a bit full of themselves so actually it's not quite as good as you'd expect but still worth a visit.
Taneries - they've got a bit of an operation going there where the taxi driver hands you over to a guide who gives you a full tour then you end up in his 'family's shop' being given tea. I think you need the guide, then be careful not to get sucked in to buying something you don't want or need.

Route to the Atlas Mountains:
We drove and you need to be a quite skilled and experienced driver. The roads and drivers aren't that good so you really have to keep your wits about you.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple