Riad El Zohar
Riad Danka(Marrakech)
Riad Anjar(Marrakech)
Dar Naima(Marrakech)
View Hotel
All reviewsplunge poolroof terracemint teaenglish ownerdining tablehand cartatlas mountainsspice shopfour poster bedhome from homelocal hammamcooking lessonuseful informationbeautiful riadrose petalshis teamthe main square
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The Riad is in the centre of the Medina with the souks less than 10 minutes walk away. The beautiful building is steeped in history which Allan is happy to explain. On arrival we were told to treat the Riad as our home, we were not confined to our bedroom we ate breakfast in the courtyard, sunned ourselves on the roof terrace, and sat by the open fire in the lounge on a chilly evening sipping wine! Cleanliness was of the highest standard and towels, robes and some toiletries supplied. Allan, Malika and Touria and there staff could not be more helpful, available day and night. Breakfast was a real treat with fresh fruit and daily home baked Moroccan delicacies. An information pack reviewed restaurants, maps were provided and we were taken to The Square to acclimatise us on the first day. I was nervous as I travelled with my daughter but I need not be we were given tips which really helped us appreciate Marrakech & although neither of us have a sense of direction we found our way around and had fun. We stayed 7 nights.We enjoyed the cookery lesson at the Riad including shopping for ingredients and our family loved the lemon & olive chicken. I thoroughly recommend staying at El Zohar and would love to return .

Room Tip: We stayed in the twin room but glimpsed in others and they were all decorated to the same high standard a. The Riad was surprisingly quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2014

What a fabulous place to stay, centrally located, less than 5 minutes walk from the Souks yet amazingly peaceful within the riad. Allan, Malika & their staff went out of their way to make us feel so at home, always on hand to guide us in the right direction with helpful tips and information and at the end of each day, there was always a warm welcome home and genuine interest in our daily adventures. The traditionally decorated rooms are comfortable, spacious & spotlessly clean and we were encouraged to feel at home in every part of the riad. We enjoyed most of our meals on the roof terrace, colourful breakfasts of orange juice, fruit, yogurt, homemade pancakes, cake and then, having ordered our meal for the evening, the wonderful scent of the herbs & spices drifting up from the kitchen whilst it was being prepared. All in all a great week, we felt safe, well looked after and left feeling like old friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This Riad is superb. In the middle of the Medina and on the edge of the Souks the friendly English and Moroccan owners and equally willing staff will greet you and advise you on each step of your visit. With only five rooms (and we had the Riad to ourselves for two days) there is plenty of time to interact with guests and for a very personal service. Nothing is too much trouble. Excellent advice was given from day one - from what to see to dealing with shop owners. We found everything we wanted within walking distance. The Riad is used as a house and home from home so guests have access to every space from the salon with it's welcome evening fire (at least in January!) to the roof terraces with both shade and open spaces for sun bathing. Tea and coffee is dispensed on demand by the lovely staff and is free. The meal and lunch we had at the Riad was great value and traditionally prepared. The shower in our room was great and the beds comfortable. I have no complaints at all and look forward to returning at some point and renewing my acquaintance with Allan and Malika. Brilliant fun!Thanks to all concerned. I would certainly recommend this to anyone but perhaps especially those visiting this wonderful city for the first time.

Room Tip: The rooms are all slightly different. Go to the Riad website and have a look. I don't think I would necessarily have a preference although the ground floor rooms may be more noisy if you want to sleep later
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The Riad El Zohar was an excellent place to stay so central. This was my first visit to Morrakech and it was made so much easier as the proprietors of the Riad were happy to impart all their knowledge of the area. Such a warm and friendly Riad, the staff were always on hand day or night to give friendly advice and help us to find our way around. I was taken to the spice shop by the owner so that I could by spices that were both excellent quality and value for money, including saffron at an exceedingly good price.
The Riad El Zohar has 5 rooms, we stayed in the Moulouya; the room was very comfortable for two people, with en-suite. Both of which were to a very high standard of cleanliness. There was plenty of room and storage and on the odd night when my partner snored too loud and took up the whole bed, there was a little extra place for me to put my head down for a couple of hours.
The Riad had was a very relaxed atmosphere with the proprietors checking in regularly with us making sure we were having a good time and able to do what we wanted to do. They were able to give advice on the best places to view and eat and also where we should be a little more vigilant.
The terrace in the Riad was a great place to catch the sun or to have afternoon tea under the shade. Complementary Tea and coffee was available on demand and was always served by cheery friendly staff. The evenings in the lounge with a blazing fire were just one of my favourite memories of the Riad. I would recommend this place for couples, families, travelling friends or even if you are on your own they have a room to suit all traveller and a warm friendly welcome for all.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed here on our first visit to Marrakech for 5 nights over new year and this is definitely one of the most special places we have ever stayed. All the staff are constantly friendly and helpful even when you're demanding the fifth cup of mint tea that day and the owners Allan and Malika take a genuine interest in their guests which is rare to find. I'd definitely recommend taking advantage of the cooking lessons offered by the Riad - we helped to cook our new year's eve meal and ate it in front of an open fire which was lit especially for us by Erradi. Plus amazing breakfasts, fantastic shower and a location that manages to be both peaceful and right next door to all the manic action of the souks.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple