Dar el Souk
$401
$260
$1,058
$1,016
All reviewsplunge poolroof terracethe main squarezwin zwinatlas mountainspancakesthe hustle and bustlefirst morningon arrivalbeautiful riadperfect locationshort strolltucked awayday tripevery morningthe ground floorwe loved our stay
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Me and my partner have recently stayed here for four nights, and must say it is simply stunning. The furniture is luxurious and locally sourced. The staff are all attentive and good at their jobs. Abdallah was great for local info and was genuinely caring of our needs... Having a bottle of wine on the terrace in the evening and watching the sun go down over the horizon with the sounds of the main square echoing in the distance was a highlight.
Our room was on the ground floor and very nicely decorated, and quite possibly the best shower I've ever had. Breakfast was great, and was served wherever we requested it to be...normally on the roof terrace as the blue sky's and warming sun on our backs was a great way to start the day.
On our first night we arrived quite late approx 2100 and abdallah cooked a three course meal for us which was sublime!! Compliments to the chef!!! Although it was £20 a person, we must say that it was the best meal we experienced in marrakech!
Madi was very informative for any knowledge on local trips and transport which was useful, and was always happy to book these if required.
Location of the raid was perfect about five mins walk from the square and always friendly around the local area.
Many thanks, Joe and Emma

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a fantastic holiday in Marrakech. We spent five nights at the Dar El Souk Riad (which is ideally situated in the heart of the Medina) and cannot fault our stay there. We arranged to be met at the airport, which was very convenient, and we were dropped off close to the Riad. A chariot handler helped to carry our bags to the door of Dark El Souk (all of this was conveniently added onto our bill).

We were met by Abdallah who is the night porter at the Riad (Madi - the owner was on holiday during our stay) and after we had settled in he sat with us and pointed out places to go on the map (over some mint tea).

Breakfast was very nice and we had it served on the small seated area outside of our room - but you could have it on the roof terrace or down on the patio if you wanted. Breakfast consisted of mint tea or coffee, pancakes, crepes, fruit & yogurt, bread jam and honey - and sometimes a boiled egg. And freshly squeezed orange juice. It was ideal for us.

We were upgraded on our room as we had booked the Cherratine (which is the cheapest!) and we were invited to move to the Attarine - to be honest both were very nice and I would have been happy in the Cherratine - the Attarine was just bigger with a seating area. The bathrooms of both were lovely with pretty tiles, brass basin and a wet room style shower. We did need the heater as it was a bit chilly at night (we went in February) - I can imagine the rooms being lovely and cool in the summer.

We took a trip up to the Atlas Mountains which was organised by the Riad. It cost 900DH which is about £90 (which as some people have said on here seems expensive) but we thought it was well worth it for the convenience and quality of the experience. A driver came to meet us at the Riad and walk us to his car. Mustapha was the perfect guide on our trip and we would highly recommend asking for him in person. The car was comfortable and he was a really safe and considerate driver. He also kept pointing out sights the whole trip. He stayed with us all day. We left at 9am and got back at about 5.30pm.

The trip took in a visit to an Argan oil co-operative (this stuff is PRICEY! - 150DH for 60ml) which was very interesting (10DH per person to visit), we stopped off along the way to take photos too, next we visited a traditional Berber House (10DH pp) which was quite fascinating but personally I felt a bit odd traipsing around someone's home (but it is worth visiting). The best part of the excursion was the walk up in to mountains to go and see some of the lower waterfalls of the High Atlas. We had a guide called Abdul who took us up (Mustapha negotiated a 100DH price for us) and it was really fun. It was pretty steep and slippery - so wear grippy trainers or ideally walking boots! It was beautiful up there and Abdul was really nice. We stopped off for tea by the waterfall and when we got back to the town we had lunch by the river. On the way back to Marrakech we stopped off at some stalls and we also visited a Saffron Farm (10DH pp) - which was beautiful. And we had some delicious herbal tea there too. I'd definitely recommend the trip - it was worth seeing and also nice to go somewhere different.

We had dinner at the Riad on one of the evenings. A three course meal is £20 - you can get cheaper in town of course - but it was absolutely lovely to sit in the lovely lounge at the Riad by the fire and have dinner specially prepared for us. You can also get wine too (although we didn't). Abdallah is a really nice man and he thoroughly looked after us. We sat by the fire and had a chat with him and it was great to get his opinion on stuff like haggling in the souk (which is a nightmare!).

We met Madelaine (who is Madi - the owner's daughter) a couple of times and she is great at giving advice and sharing tips on where to go.

During our stay we also went to Bain de Marrakech - which I highly recommend as it is gorgeous (am going to write a separate review of this - but I'll just say here that is is LUSH).

In terms of location I don't think you can really beat Dar El Souk - it is down a quiet alley (which is good - and you feel safe - it's not threatening at all) but a short stroll from some avenues which lead down to the main square Jamaa el Fna. It is nice not to be right on the square as it is pretty crazy there - loads of people, and bikes, and horse and carriages, and donkeys and snakes and monkeys and noise! The little shops around the neighbourhood are great - and it's not far from lots of Artisnal stalls where you can see people actually making the goods they sell (I bought a beautiful handbag from Adil Andaloussi - Riad Zitoun El Jedid 58 - he is a lovely man too! www.tamaroc.com).

I have no complaints at all about this Riad - it is reasonably priced, in a great location, comfortable and the people who work there are lovely and really look after you. I would go back for sure!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here three nights in Dec 2012 and were impressed by its beauty and the hospitality of the owners. We met up with some friends and wanted to invite them to have dinner with us at the riad. The owners were very accommodating and served us dinner for 8 in a private room. Wonderful!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Before we even arrived in Morocco I was impressed with Dar El Souk. The booking and communication was excellent. Airport transport and all the advice offered was valuable. I was asked if we wanted to pre-order dinner for our rrival at the riad. I said no as I knew I’d be excited to get straight to the place jemaa el fna, which I regretted once arriving as I could smell the other guests meals being served in a beautiful and characterful dining room.

Madi was a very welcoming host and gave us lots of good suggestions for the city and answered our myriad of questions. She also made bookings at restaurants and hammam for us. Her team of Moroccan staff were wonderful. So friendly, welcoming and charming. They really couldn’t do enough for you. Genuine, lovely, friendly, happy staff.

Breakfast! One of the deal breakers for me on such a holiday. Dar El Souk put on a great show. We stayed at many other riads on our Moroccan holiday, but I think Dar El Souk wins top price for breakfasts. All the usual suspects for a riad breakfast, plus each morning there was a different prepared fruit. I guess it’s dependent on seasonal produce as all food in morocco is. We were there in December so lucky you have a classic pomegranate and goats cheese mix. So good!

The room was comfortable and full of character, but it is the communal areas that are really special here. There are leafy green private sitting areas outside every room, and the roof terraces have a well-established, relaxing and exotic charm.
We were there as a couple but I think this Riad would also be a great place to stay with a group of friends, or family.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank H00fy
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Riad experience is different from your average hotel and better for it! Dar el Souk is a lovely collection of individual rooms (you can view them on the website!). All furnished individually and very much it feels like you are a house guest rather than a visitor to a typical hotel chain. The rooftop courtyard is calm and shady with lemon trees and other things and throughout the property there are nooks and crannies where you can have breakfast served or just hang out and read. The staff were exceptional. The owner is a charming English expat who spent a long time showing us maps and discussing things to do and the rest of the staff were great as well and very accommodating about late check-outs and the like. We loved our time here. A few practical things. Any Riad in the Medina has the positive experience of the narrow streets and atmosphere and it is pretty easy to navigate but I'd be wary of having toddlers in and around the medina as you need to be quite aware of the bikes. Also in January, it is a quite cold at night and the rooms have a heater but if you are obsessed with needing constant 70 degree heat travel a bit later in the year! Would thoroughly recommend this lovely Riad.

Room Tip: Try and view them on a website (we used Hip Marrakech) and find one you like
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple