New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Such a chilled oasis, where every possible detail has been thought about” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Fenn

El Fenn
Ranked #53 of 511 Hotels in Marrakech
elvismoonlander
“Such a chilled oasis, where every possible detail has been thought about”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2009

We spent a weekend in Marrakech at the Riad El Fenn with a group of friends for my 40th birthday. We could not recommend it enough... such an unusual and different place, but at the same time offering unbelievable levels of comfort, service, warmth and flexibility for guests.

From the outside it looks like a large door in an alleyway as is typical of the architecture in the medina area. Inside it is an oasis of colour, unusual design touches, water features, palm groves, peaceful courtyards and little secret nooks.

It seem to be a very personal expression of the owners desire to create a space that goes beyond being a hotel. Every room is different, with eclectic designs, quirky furniture, lovely comfortable clean beds and lots of piping hot water. In the morning they leave a flask of Morrocan tea and coffee outside your room with delicious local biscuits. The breakfasts on the roof are very special with local, french and western food in plentiful supply. The swimming pools on the roof and in the courtyards are refreshing cold, but the weather is so hot it's the ideal way to cool off. And there are lots of design, architecture and Morrocan history books placed around the place encouraging people to sit and just dwell in each little courtyard, comfy sofa or hammock.

It's a very very special place that so good it should almost be kept a secret!

The staff were very helpful and offered to organise trips to restaurants and the medina. We however used a company called Boutique Souk who were separate from the hotel and who did an amazing job getting us the best tables in the nicest restaurants.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2009

It's hard to know if there's a better riad in the Medina than the Riad El Fenn, but for certain many boutique hotels - and even 5 star rated hotels - could learn from it.

After being let down by far too many fancy 5 deluxe star resorts I've gone back to basics and I feel very glad I've done so.

We were collected by an El Fenn driver and were at the riad in about 20 minutes. And without any fuss were taken straight to our suite - no messing about filling out forms and asking for passport details. I've never figured out why with the overwhelming majority of hotels you make a booking - give them every detail about yourself bar a DNA sample - have forwarded credit card details and passport information. And then you arrive at these places you have to repeat it all all over again. Not exactly what you want to do after a long day of travelling. Anyway, none of that nonsense at the El Fenn. And although I think the kitchens were closed for the night (it was around 11pm) the staff gladly
made us some fantastic hot club sandwiches - perfect!

On entering the riad I loved the huge Bridget Riley painting - and the rows of Moroccan slippers with a pair of Converse in the middle of them was a witty statement.

The suite we booked (21) was perfect - huge - excellent WiFi - great selection of books to browse - and most importantly for me a decent firm bed. Such a relief to sleep well every night in a strange bed. There is no TV or DVD, something I usually require. However, I didn't miss them in the least. However, there is a cinema room with a well stocked DVD library - and we caught up on our own.

The riad itself is well positioned. I know many people stay at riads where they are woken at 5am by prayer coming from the mosques. We were not disturbed at all.

The El Fenn offers a particular service which I think excellent, especially if you're a couple who wake up at different times. At 7.30 a tray is placed outside your room with a flask of tea and coffee and a few pastries. For the early riser this is a wonderful touch. In 30 years of travelling all over the world I've never experienced such a wonderful thoughtful idea.

Breakfast up on the roof terrace is very nice. A wonderful bowl of home made porridge, fresh bread which can be toasted, fruit, homemade yogurt. What was disappointing is that each day afterwards the porridge became more and more lukewarm and less items seemed to be on offer unless asked for - it was almost as if the staff became more complacent each day they saw you. However, I do want to make it clear there are some lovely staff always with a smile.

Talking of food - the El Fenn serves excellent evening meals on the terrace, but sadly far too many of the dishes arrive lukewarm which really is a waste of the chefs talents after such effort has been put into creating wonderful dishes. And as the El Fenn serves better food than many of the restaurants in the Medina they really should address this. I had presumed dishes were going cold on the journey from kitchen to roof terrace. However, one rainy evening we ate at the indoor dining room and still the dishes were let down by being luke warm. Such a shame. I should also state there were never more than 3 couples dining on the 5 days we were there, so the kitchens aren't under pressure cooking for large parties.

While we were staying very few people were there, and never once did I share one of the 2 swimming pools or roof top plunge pool. I presume other guests were out sightseeing, and it appeared most people only stayed a night or two. But I think the El Fenn is worthy of a weeks stay to just relax at and enjoy it's tranquility, and if you do want to venture out you can walk to the souks in 5 minutes.

Full marks must also go to the free afternoon tea that's laid on - nice fresh cakes and pastries, mint tea, or tea of your choice. Perfect. And while you partake you can enjoy watching the tortoises wandering around.

I also took the liberty of looking into many of the empty bedrooms and suites as I was interested to see how they were decorated due to being into interior design, and all of them were highly desirable. Another bonus is that this riad is unusually large - I believe it's two riads joined together - so there's plenty of nooks to hide away and read a book and be at peace. I think this would also be a wonderful riad for the lone traveller who literally wants to be alone.

Although I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the El Fenn again I probably wont just because I would like to experience more riads in Marrakech. However, I highly recommend
it - and I thank them for making me realise I've wasted far too much money staying at Four Seasons and One & Only resorts, etc. Obviously small equals best - and the El Fenn made me fall in love with Marrakech.

I would give the El Fenn 5 stars - I'm only deducting 1 because I thought it such a shame that so many of the excellent meals were let down by being luke warm. However, the food was far better than any we had at any restaurant.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Serial_Traveller
boston,ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

I've been meaning to write a review for the Riad el Fenn for a while now. There was only one other guest staying there while I was there which made my time there even more private and secluded.... just what I was looking for. The staff always seemed to appear when I needed them, yet always seemed to keep a respectable distance to give me the down-time I was looking for to relax, enjoy my wine and read my book!! Every morning I would wake up and open my bedroom doors to Moroccan Mint tea, cookies and pastries. I could step right outside of the riad and the Medina was within a few minutes walking distance. As far as I am concerned, as a woman, I felt 100% safe walking alone. Everyone was always very kind and friendly. I did hire a guide the first day there who showed me around through the Medina and other areas of interest. The Riad el Fenn made sure they accomodated me in every way. They toured me through all the rooms since they were mostly empty the week that I visited. Everything was beautiful. And, they will cook almost anything that you want. I am dying to go back!!!! The most relaxing, tranquil vacation I have EVER been on!! I would highly recommend the Riad el Fenn to anyone!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

I cannot recommend this Riad enough. It is stunning. The moment you enter you feel at home. totally relaxed, and totally spoiled. The service is exceptional, the setting so tranquil and friendly.
It is also quite a decent size so you don't feel too much on top of other guests. Rooms are stunning with small touch;s such as delicious bath oils, coffee and tea outside your door every morning, sumptuous breakfast, tortoises crawling around the courtyard squares.

Honestly, I have no criticism at all. If you read my other reviews you will see I tell it as it is, but this place is brilliant. Enough said.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

This place was everything I hoped for and more. From the time that I was collected at the airport to the time I was dropped back off staff were warm, welcoming and did everything possible to make the stay fantastic. Spa treatments were fab, some of the best I have had anywhere. Rooms were gorgeous, fresh flowers and all of the amenities. Plenty of places throughout the Riad to find a quiet spot as well.

Pools and rooftop were perfect for sun as well as a perfect setting for breakfast and lunch. It was rest and relaxation at it's best. I would have liked to have stayed longer, everything you could want for a getaway is under one roof. I would recommend this to anyone and would love to go again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

Our trip to the Riad El Fenn must count as one of the most memorable long weekends of our lives! What a gorgeous place, delicious food, delightful staff staff and extremely temtping to just stay in and enjoy the many pleasures of the Riad without venturing any further into Marrakech.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2009

We would like to send our appreciation via this review for the wonderful time we had at Riad El Fenn. We would particularly like you to pass on our thanks to all of their staff who were quite exceptional in their warmth and helpfulness in meeting all of our needs.

Indeed in all the hotels that we have ever stayed in we have never felt so welcomed and already miss individuals who became friends in the course of 3 days. We particularly liked the informality of service where everything seemed to be centred around us and our requirements.

Once again thank you for making our stay very special.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple