“An enchanting stay”
Review of El Fenn

El Fenn
Ranked #49 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Being my 5th-6th time in Marrakech, I was looking for a really special place..
El Fenn is charming, elegant and stylish, yet cozy.
My kids felt immediately home, and this is a super +++ for all of us!
This is due to the staff, everybody was incredible.
Food is very good, from breakfast to dinner, with an amazing view from the terrace overlooking the medina.
But the very special touches are the coffee/tea with fresh croissants outside every room before breakfast time, for early birds, the cinema room for the kids so no need of baby sitter, the tea ready for the guests frm 4 pm onwards..
Sooo thoughtful of them!!!
Enjoy

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious and different one from another.. Every choice can be good, I asked the team to h...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
MeganLD2013, Director of Sales at El Fenn, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

We're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay - and your children too! We always like to welcome children to the riad and know that they enjoy playing with the tortoises very much. Thanks for taking the time to review and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Marrakech.

There are newer reviews for El Fenn

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

This riad was recommended to us and would happily recommend it to all. Stunning interior - we were in room 2 which was spectacular! The staff were brilliant, super friendly and welcoming. The roof terrace is a wonderful place to chill out after the craziness of the medina and breakfast up there is the perfect start to the day. It was a shame the lunch menu wasn't very interesting, choice was very limited. We had lunch there just one day and weren't blown away it wasn't anything special but there's plenty of other places to eat. The receptionist was super lovely and very helpful with great shopping/restaurant recommendations. We tried the 'ultimate Moroccan hammam experience' which I have to say was a bit disappointing - you would expect if you're paying double the price as it's for 2 people to have two therapists but for the hammam there was only one and she wasn't exactly thorough, it seemed pretty slap dash to be honest. The following massage was better at least and thankfully we had a therapist each!

Overall we would happily recommend this riad it is a hidden gem.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to review and so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm sorry that that hammam wasn't what you expected but it's usual to have one therapist because in Morocco people like to spend a lot of time in the hammam! That said, I've let the spa manager know and we'll explain the process to future guests. Come back and see us again.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Lovely riad, good location, beautiful terrace atop. Unfortunately that is where my positive comments end. We stayed at this riad for a few days at a very high rate. Having said that, Marrakech has become a rather expensive tourist destination. What really irritated me about this place though was the lack of interest on the part of management.
They constituted a sort of aloof managerial clique that showed little, if no interest in the paying guest, rather focusing on entertaining one another. It was as though we and other guests never existed or even mattered. Also our requests were generally met with either a snooty retort or simple apathy. I'm not certain whether this riad is resting on its laurels based on the name of its owner, but having stayed in several riads before, I felt that Al Fenn is really poor in guest relations.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Twiggy8412

We're so sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay and since then I've fed back your comments at a team meeting because we never like to disappoint guests. Having said that, we were surprised that you felt the management here were a snooty clique. We pride ourselves on being approachable, relaxed and involved with our guests - as so many reviews here attest. We spend a lot of time making our guests feel comfortable, getting to know them and making recommendations about how to make the best of Marrakech. But obviously this wasn't your experience which is why you met with the general manager to discuss your concerns and have them addressed by him. We can only apologise once again that on this occasion we failed to live up to expectations.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Have just spent the most wonderful 4 days celebrating at the El Fenn. An amazing experience, superb facilities with everything you need to relax and enjoy the 'fabulous' surroundings. Hotel staff were exceptional. Very helpful and 'gracious' without being 'in your face'. We enjoyed some excellent food and even had a cookery lesson with the chef. . Would recommend and will definitely visit them again (if they'll have me back!!).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
MeganLD2013, Director of Sales at El Fenn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear KaarinW. We'd love to have you back! Thanks so much for taking the time to write about your stay here. See you again soon. All best.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This experience was the highlight of my eighteen day Morocco exploration trip. The class begins with the wonderfully sharing, enthusiastic and sincere Hajid taking you to the marketplace for spices. He will teach you the dishes you request, you will be the sole student, no formal format, large class or video stations here! Hajid revealed the flavor profiles carefully, allowing time for notes and photos. He added a depth to my cooking and experience that was totally joyful. At the conclusion the cooked meal was delivered to the roof top terrace where my husband and I savored the excellent results. I can now go beyond my Moroccan cookbooks to entertain family and friends. The real treat was being taught by such a fine person who loves his profession. You will be surprised at the reasonable cost. Rare experiences like this are treasured memories. To arrange a class I emailed El Fenn and got immediate responses. Many thanks Hajid!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Great to know that you enjoyed learning about Moroccan cookery so much and it was a highlight of your stay with us. Good luck when you try out the dishes at home!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

What a wonderful place. Arrived in a scruffy back street, but when the door opened we were transported in to the serenity of the interior. You feel completely cut off from the troubles of the world outside and can chose to sit in the cool shaded quads with tortoise wandering around or go up to the sunshine on the roof terraces. Our room was just divine, huge, spacious and cool, the bathroom fantastic, massive shower and bath with a shower. The bed, well, need I say more !! Staff around the riad were efficient and helpful and very accommodating, even when we got the time wrong and missed breakfast by an hour, nothing was too much trouble. Superbly situated within easy walk of the medina and souks. Would definitely recommend and would chose this riad again.

Room Tip: room 10 on the ground floor in the second quad was wonderful, probably would not choose to be in the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Marrakech is indeed a bustling place so we're pleased that you enjoyed the peace and tranquility here at El Fenn. Thanks so much for taking the time to review. All best.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

As a second-time guest of MARVELLOUS El Fenn I wanted to show my appreciation by leaving a second wildy enthusiastic review. But as I read the mind-blowingly unjust "Has the GM of a hotel ever asked you to leave?!" post by JeffB884, I felt inclined to take a somewhat different approach.

As my partner and I literally just hours ago arrived back home from our week-long stay at El Fenn, it just so happens we were actually present within a few yards and definitively clear earshot of where that whole conflict took place. And it did NOT AT ALL go the way JeffB884 described it.

When we saw the G.M. walk up to the room and knocked, wanting to listen to the complaints of his guests, he INSTANTLY got yelled at in an extremely loud manner! "GO AWAAAY!" is what came crashing from the room, before the G.M. had even been given the chance to properly introduce himself.
When he, obviously taken aback, did introduce himself as the G.M., both guests (one male, one female) started screaming up a storm: "We don't want to talk to you! GO AWAY! What part of 'jet-lag' are you unclear on?!"
This and more loud verbal abuse went on for about half a minute and then the G.M. -still surprisingly composed!- explained to the guests that he had come over to their room so they could work out a satisfying solution, but after enduring what he just had (and clearly understanding these people were NOT to be reasoned with) he asked them to kindly check out of their room. He told them he did not understand what had just happened, but that he thought they had been excessively rude to him.
Which we can vouch for they ab-so-lute-ly were! Excessively rude and a foul nuisance to other guests.

Having come to 'know' him as we have over our visits, the G.M. exudes an extraordinary air of hospitality and grace and we feel JeffB884's blatant twist of facts seems extremely unfair to the G.M. in particular and El Fenn in general.

I am very sorry I couldn't go into a whole superlative review of El Fenn's excellence, but I really felt I had to set this record straight.
Bottomline: My second stay at El Fenn even surpassed my first. And it will most definitely not be my last! I HIGHLY recommend this fine riad and everything (and everyone!) in it to anyone looking for the greatest getaway a person could wish for.
To the likes of the abovementioned 'lady' and 'gentleman' who seem prone to extreme hissy-fits I would say: Please don't EVER AGAIN board a flight that covers more than one time zone. You are clearly not handling your 'jet-lag' very well.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RJR_Veling

We were so pleased to see you here again and thanks so much for your kind words. Come again soon!