“Yes to Club Med but no to Club Med, La Palmeraie”

Club Med Marrakech La Palmeraie
Ranked #75 of 495 Hotels in Marrakech
Shanghai, China
“Yes to Club Med but no to Club Med, La Palmeraie”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a very disappointing stay at this Club Med. This was our 3rd stay at a Club Med and we had so much to complain about it but let me start with the good things.
1. The rooms were very good , even better that the rooms at the previous 2 Club Med that we have visited in Asia. Although there were some cockroach at the shower, we didnt have any problems with other insects.
2 The food was average but the food was acceptable. Breakfast was the best meal of the day, at the Lunch you got plenty of salads. About the Dinner, I saw a lot of food from the Lunch served again. I understand that is something is still edible, you can serve it again but during our stay the temperature oscillate between 8 and 25 degrees. I dont consider this a good practice, most all with fish and raw food. But is your choice to eat or not. We didnt and thanks good, we didnt have any stomach problems.
3. Kids Club, as always, was outstanding. Club Med knows that this is his strong part of what they offer and the staff, activities and infrastructure of the Kids Club are always very good. Our 3 years old son had a lot fun although he didnt speak any french.
4. Complex is beautiful and keep it in good conditions.

Our Complains
1. Local (Moroccan) staff was not friendly. Most of them ignored you. I met one of the Moroccan G.O.s at the baby corner and he was occupied preparing himself an avocado shake than saying hello to one of the guest.... He saw me but ignore me... nice.
2. Reception, is a disaster. We had problems with every single reservation for playing golf. Information was not given to us in the proper way or completely. Staff at the reception didnt speak and understand english. I thought Club Med is an international Club... or I got this wrong?
3. Hygiene. Cuttlery and glasses are disgusting. You are not sure if they were washed properly or just threw in water ... please bring antibacterial wipes.
4. Speaking English G.O.s Non existing. Very few of them speak english and this is something that bothers me because I speak 4 languages and for Club Med, La Palmeraie was not enough! I understand Morocco is french speaking country, most of the guest are from France but some G.O.s could or didnt want to speak a word in english. Thank good, my husband does speak French and we were able to communicate. I dont have any problems with learning one language more but please... this is ridiculous!
5. Departure. My husband went to check out at 6.50 am and the reception was empty. G.O.s were still sleeping. We are supposed to be 2 hours before the flight ready but our luggage was still in front of the room and the same person who did the check out, was in charge of bringing our luggage to the mini bus. Nobody said "good bye to us". I understand was very early but a small note or letter will be a good idea. After being waiting more than 40 minutes and the reception a local G. O. appeared and he got upset with us because we complained with other guests that we were late to go to the airport. He just left us alone with the mini bus driver... In the other Club med, at least 2 G.Os.were assigned to say good bye and asked to come again. I had the impression, they were just getting rid of us.
6. Money Value. For me, this Club Med was not worth. We might be picky because, we have travelled a lot
around the world and are used to stay in good places but this Club Med didnt fulfill our expectations. We spend almost the same money for staying here as in the others Club Med in Asia and there was very good. We talked once with one of the G.O.s about our previous visits to Club Med and told him we were very satisfied but not with this.. He justified the negative things of this Club, with the fact that in Asia everything is cheaper... Ohh really? So that's means that ignore your guest, poor Hygiene, insects and etc., is because you didnt pay enough. I think Club Med Fans like us, could agree, that a week in Club is not cheap...

Anyway.... to conclude, we will spend our vacation again in Club Med but we will pay more attention to the location. A stay in Club med with children are vacations.
Even in this place, "we" managed to have a good time while our son was at the Le Petit Club.
I will recommend this place for people in countries close to Morocco and speaking french people who wants to enjoy the beautiful landscape of this country and the weather.

Room Tip: If you need a stroller, better you book a room with private garden in the ground floor, otherwise bo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Balmesrox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Isle of Man
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have just returned from a week's break over Easter with my teenage son as my husband was working. I agree the rooms were basic but quiet and clean. We had an awful start to our holiday as the BA shuttle from Manchester to Heathrow was so late that we missed the Air Morocco flights to Marrakesh, we could not travel the next day as the plane was full so we had to buy new tickets with our insurance companies advice. However when we arrived after informing Club Med that we were to be 24 hours late we had to take a taxi to the resort as they would not send the bus for us even though we had paid for flights and transfers as part of the holiday.The reception staff were just not bothered then to make things worse, Air Morocco would NOT re-instate our return flights because we had missed the outward leg through no fault of ours, Our insurance company has taken it to the management of Club Med who are not bothered about the inconvenience,expense or upset this has caused. I do agree that the resort is too "French" I do commend Samuel in the bar thou as he was the only member of staff who seemed to enjoy the English being there! We have been to 7 other Club Med resorts but will never return to this one again. I can speak enough French to get by and be understood but even a glass of wine at mealtimes was hard work if you were English! However I must commend the kitchen staff and cooks, the food was outstanding and everything was immaculate, now if only everyone else was up to this high standard at Club Med La Palmeraie!

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jackie031
Oxford, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have just come back from 9 days with our two daughters (9 and almost 6). We had a great time!
Interconnecting rooms with balconies. Rooms were atmospheric and fine - nothing fancy but it is Club Med! Showers lacked a bit of power and room furnishing on the tired side but the point of Club Med is not to hang out in one's room.
The buffets were excellent - wide variety of choice and the red wine was pretty good. One lunch day was an outside buffet with traditional Moroccan food with music, arabian stallions - very nice effort!
Overall cleaniness of the resort can be improved but took some dettol wipes and off we went. The resort is very pretty and the gardens lovely. Plenty of places to sit outside - as usual plenty of people reserving their loungers for the whole day but we never found we couldn't find someplace to sit.
Reception staff: really depends on who you get in terms of friendliness and willingness to communicate in English. We had some very courteous and efficient help sometimes and some other times down right rudeness. This is a shame as everyone else is so friendly and really tries to communicate.

The kids club - FABULOUS! Special thanks to the team that looked after our girls (Davy, Lassad, Christina and Cedric). These GOs work so hard and always seem to have energy all day every day.

The gym was basic but adequate and the strength class was tough!
The large pool was on the cold side but the kids didn't seem to mind and the pool inside the Kids Club is heated and is available for children not using Kids Club.
I was concerned about the language but I found most GOs could speak enough English and could work with my basic french. My girls who really don't speak any french had no problem communicating with the Kids Club Staff!
We were lucky with our dates as the last 2 days were much busier than the previous week as the French Schools just got out for their holidays and the Kids Club was packed...
Didn't use the shuttle into the Medina as we went on organised tours but I think it is an additional service that is well used and appreciated.
Free wifi - HUGE PLUS and really appreciated!
Another thanks goes to Samuel (hemel hempstead)in the bar!

Looking to go back as where it counts - food, kids club, location...Club Med at its best!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our kids are now aged 5, 8 and 9 and we are rather past being able to fob them off with a kids club in a swanky hotel in which they are expected to get excited about 'face painting, bead threading or sitting on an bean bag with 20 other kids watching a movie'. Those days are over.

Club Med, it appears from this trip, is the way forward for us as a family. Yes, it is not quite as 'luxe' as perhaps us parents would like, but then again it probably could have been had we been prepared to upgrade to "The Riad' - a separate section of the resort in which everything is a notch or two (or three if its the beds you are talking about) finer.

Yes there are one or two 'rough edges', yes you've guessed it - the beds, some peeling paint in the rooms/bathrooms, the odd bird flying in and out of the buffet restaurant - but to be honest the kids had such a ball, the weather was so lovely and the cost of the trip was so INCREDIBLY reasonable (booked using an early booking bonus) that in the grand scheme of things we really could not complain.

Lots of French spoken here which I think is a bonus for our kids and any attempts by us or the children to converse in the official language of the resort was met with delight and appreciation. When we failed in our communication English was instantly spoken so the kids never felt left out or out of their depth.

The kids club is SUPERB. Amazingly kind staff (Lassad a stand out in particular), who kept up the energy all week. Tennis, circus, football, swimming, archery all on the agenda every morning. Then some amazing stage shows that the kids rehearsed for - dancing, dressing up and for some, individual performances. Incredible confidence building stuff.

Food - always a buffet, but varied and with lots of various options. We could have eaten in the more formal restaurant, but somehow never got organised to booking in. The kids adored the salads made for them at lunch (a big thanks to Youseff and Mohammed for their unwavering kindness in the face of much dithering as to whether any one child wanted 'parsley' or not every day), which meant that we could let them have free rein in the evenings. Food in the evenings was so tempting that the kids skipped obvious burgers and went for tender steaks, cooked prawns or roasted chicken.

Whole resort was clean at all times and there was great housekeeping.

Reception was the one area that really needs to pull its socks up - a very 'laissez faire' attitude to all enquiries and very much the feeling that their preference is to pass you onto someone else rather than personally making a difference. A recommendation for somewhere good to eat in town was met with a gallic shrug. Further questioning finally got a general 'there are lots of restaurants round the square' answer. Really not good enough.

A 20 minute shuttle bus gets you into the heart of the city and runs on the hour several times a day. Its a great way to show the kids the 'real' (if you can call it that) Morocco, in comfort and safety. A lot more information could be provided by the resort though to help you get the most out of this (currently the only 'help provided' is a smudgy map that has no detail of the souks and is really only useful for the piece of paper that its printed on to be used as a sun shade), but perhaps they are assuming that guests have done their own research (which lazily we hadn't).

Evening shows are much adored by the French clientele - to be honest we found them less of a 'spectacle' but entertaining none the less. I don't think we will forget the romp through both 'The Titanic' and 'Grease' any time soon. Again any rough edges are entirely forgiven when you see the passion and dedication on everyone's faces. Turn up with one of the free and plentiful cocktails in your hand, watch your kids faces light up, don't judge and just have a good time.

And I think that sums it up. If you are used to slick, polished, highly luxurious resorts in which everything is tightly controlled then perhaps this place isn't for you. But if you realised you've stuck your kids in one of those soulless kids clubs just one time too often and the holiday was more about you than it was about them, then I'd pick up the phone and call Club Med now. Then grab a cocktail, go with the flow and have a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: If peeling paint gets to you - ask for a recently refurbished room. I believe (but have no proof!) t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 245lou
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Travelled with a group of 10 work colleagues for a long weekend. This is my 4th time on a club med so I knew what expect and worried what could be the possible downsides - limited English speaking GO's, accommodation pretty rustic, loads of kids and you may feel somewhat that you are holidaying in France......but all the group thoroughly enjoyed themselves and for food and activities much better than other all inclusives any of them had been to. The resort really was a little oasis amongst the hustle and bustle of Marraech.

Special thanks to Samuel behind the bar, great to have a friendly face who couldn't do enough to keep the men in beer and give great tips on places to visit out of resort. Geraldine on reception too was very helpful and Christina from mini club although very poorly while we were there as the other English GO extended a warm welcome to us.

Try and visit Atlas Mountains and hire dune buggies - we did only two activities as only there for a short time but always feel good to get off resort and do some exploring.

Would I return probably not but only because there are other resets I would like to try - am off to the new club med in Belek. Lots of hype for the new resort from the GO's so roll on May!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lottiesmunmy
LONDON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Reviewers complaining about rooms at this resort should know better - Club Med rooms are almost always basic and certainly never luxurious. Club Med's main focus is food (all inclusive buffets), activities and entertainment. This particular Club Med was no different and hence the title of my review. The food was great as usual and staff extremely friendly. Range of activities was very good (archery, swimming pool, golf driving range, spa, table tennis, tennis etc). Evening entertainment put up by the staff (GOs) was spirited but just ok. Coaches to the Medina (old town) were comfortable and frequent. Few points to note however :

- This resort is VERY French - much more so than other Club Meds we've visited. All entertainment was in French and staff had great difficulty understanding English, which was annoying at times.

- It had been a few years since we were last at a Club Med and had gotten used to the more traditional 4 & 5 star hotels in the meantime. The total lack of any sort of service to the room therefore came as a shock - they couldn't even deliver salt to the room which I needed for a gargle for my sore throat !

- All four of us suffered from upset tummies at different times - not sure if it was the water or the food. Luckily nothing too serious and having travelled extensively in the tropics, we promptly consumed large quantities of bananas which never fail.

Overall, I should say it was a good experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank FM1London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Was here during the last week of February. Travelling alone bit afraid since this club is mostly visited by the elderly and families thanks to some great facilities for kids and the golf... But it happened to be a great Holiday thanks to a couple of warm and sunny days, always welcome after the 50 shades of grey of Belgian weather during this winter... But what made the experience great was:
The spacious and green environment, really giving the impression of staying in an oasis...Even though the village was fully booked, it was never crowded...
The excellent food, a very varied and extensive buffet, with the oscar going to the excellent bread ( try the one with the dried fruit)
But above all thanks to the excellent and enthusiastic team of GO's who really made this holiday so great always helping out, they were the driving force of the village.. In the first place thanks to Geraldine of the reception, made me feel welcome from day one always helpful and smiling despite long working days, thanks for sharing these bar moments, next of course the bar team, aziz the cocktail wizzard, and the ever smiling Charles never ever loosing his temper even faced with " difficult" customers.. And thanks to the friendliest go of all matthieu, chef du boulangerie, not only a great boulanger...
sport activities were great as well: facilities are very good and some excellent coaches: Badr, very professional, excellent tennis lessons with a lot of patience, and hyacinthe, never loosing his patience as well at the archery stand, are the ones that spring to mind,...
Some great events were organised as well, the garden party, but also the friday night party at the piscine zen was very nice, with the great music of mr 4 ipad, thanks to esteban for organising that,...
The buggy trip was great as well

Any negative points? Well yes, the rooms are dark and need some refurbishement, beds are a bit dated and hard... And there could be some more atmosphere at night... But of course depends on the GMs

Tip : keep the shuttle to the medina, a great plus

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo