“Very enjoyable stay at Hotel El Andalous”
Review of Hotel El Andalous

Hotel El Andalous
Ranked #378 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable stay at Hotel El Andalous”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed here as part of an organised group tour before and after a charity trek through the Sahara.

We arrived very late on a Sunday night and had to go straight into dinner. This was to be in the La Casa restaurant in the hotel basement. It was a buffet arrangement and although some of my party didn't like it, I thought there was a good choice and really enjoyed what I had. Soup, salad, various cold starters. Hot dishes included a sort of lasagne and some merguez sausages. There was a choice of mini desserts too.

My first room was room 212 with a pool view. It was a twin room with two double beds and very comfortable it was too. I thought I heard some "thump thump thump" music in the night, but not enough to keep me awake. It was spotlessly clean and the beds were really comfy. OK, so there's not a massive amount of space in the room, but who needs it?

Breakfast was a buffet in the main restaurant. There was plenty of choice of fruit, cereal, cheese, eggs, pancakes, croissants - all the usuals - plus freshly squeezed juices; orange, beetroot and cucumber! The staff were very attentive, friendly and gave me an opportunity to practice my French on them.

We left the next morning, leaving our main luggage in storage at the hotel and returned 4 days later when we were allocated rooms on the 2nd floor. This time I had a street facing room, number 212. Again, very comfy and spotlessly clean.

We ate in the main restaurant for two nights. Again, plenty of choice, some of it a bit odd, but never boring. The main dishes were in chafing dishes but as there was no heat under them, the dishes were sometimes cold. Such a shame as the fish looked lovely. Highlights included a stroganoff and a beef tagine with prunes. Wonderful. Be warned though - the dish of what looks like smoked salmon is actually thinly sliced carrot. It caught us all out.

There were different desserts each night, some weren't instantly recognisable but everything tasted good. Particularly like the chocolate mousse, the mille feuille pastries and what looked like poppadoms and custard. Delicious.

Again, the staff were lovely. One waiter would make ducks out of the damask napkins for us. Very sweet.

The pool area is excellent. Plenty of sunbeds, towels from the cabin on request, plenty of umbrellas if needed. Very clean pool that is 2.5m at the deep end. There is also a pool bar that does snacks. Sometimes things took a little while to arrive, but they were all freshly prepared.

After the main party departed, 5 of us stayed on and my other half came out to join us. I was upgraded to a corner suite, number 520 and it was lovely. Large bedroom with a sitting room, 3 piece suite and a large telly. Quality sleep, comfy bed, double sink in the bathroom.

The bar is large with a good atmosphere. Drinks aren't too expensive but they did run out of vodka and gin on the Saturday night! It fills up with locals who hog the bar making it a bit difficult to get served and it got a bit smoky as there is no smoking ban in Morocco. The Moroccan singer was quite loud at times but it added to the overall ambience.

The reception staff were really helpful and friendly, nothing too much trouble.

There is an ATM in reception but it stopped working on Sunday evening. Assured that it would be fixed "tomorrow", it was still out of service when we left on Tuesday night. There are banks within a short walking distance, so not really an issue.

I had an afternoon at the Andaloucia Spa for a Hammam and full body massage. Excellent, well worth the money.

The city tour bus stops just around the corner from the hotel front entrance so it's really convenient for getting into town if you don't fancy the walk. There are taxis and caleches for hire outside too.

Overall, we'd choose to stay here again as a base for another foray into Marrakech.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms have a pool view, odd numbers don't. You might hear the music from the bar i...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ukwlb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Polish first
Chico, California
Reviewed April 2, 2014

A great location away from the crowds but an easy walk to the wonderful Marrakech Square.
Great buffet breakfast and dinners with lots of choice.
Themed dinner are nightly and we had a wonderful Spanish dinner with paella.

Room Tip: facing the pool area is great
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alberta1955
Claremorris, Ireland
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in February 2014 and was dissapointed with the standard, the rooms are medium size but made smaller by adding two double beds, there was 18 inches between the the beds in the middle and only 6 inchs between the bed and the balcony doors, the other bed was tight to the wall, the door to our room had at some time been kicked in as there was a steel plate over the hole so that the door would lock but from the inside a gaping hole, the balcony doors did not shut properly and there was a gap in the doors, one night we had a strong wind blowing and it woke me up with the wind blowing through the gap, most of the reception staff were unhelpfu apart from one young man that was very helpful when my wife was taken ill, he could not do enough for us even phoning for the doctor, one lady at reception always had her amrs folded when she spoke to you and always seemed to be having a argument with the manager when they were both on duty.

the food in the evening was always the same menu and very boring, so we used to eat out sometimes, we were on half board, the resturant staff were very friendly as long as you were tipping them, the waiter at the snack bar around the pool was the most un-happy guy you could ever meet, he would bring you up your food and just plonk down in front of you and walk off, one day I ordered two cups of coffee the young lady at the bar made them put them on the counter and he just left them there and carried on talking to another coustomer, when he did decide to bring up our coffee they were cold, I did complain to him about that they cold, he snatched them away spilling some of the coffe on the floor and brought us back two fresh cups, I did complain to the managar and he said that he would look into it,

On the Saturday night there was an assortment of fish on the menu, both my wife and I love fish so we were looking forward to this meal, when my meal came up, all the fish were cold on a cold plate I complained to the waiter and he said that he would get me a fresh meal when that came up that also was cold, I then went and complained to the resturant manager and he said that he would look into why the food was cold but he never came back, we just got up and walked out.
There was also some maintance work going on around the pool so you could not sit out side for the noise of the hammer drill going on all the time

Room Tip: do not get a room at the front of the hotel owing to traffic noise
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank satincape
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed here on a small group tour. Having read some negative reviews on Tripadvisor I was a bit
concerned but was pleasantly surprised by our experience. Staff was helpful. Our room had a small balcony that overlooked the pool. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant and were pleased with the variety and the opportunity to have cooked to order eggs. The location was good and we had a nice walk to and from the Square from the hotel. All in all a very positive experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maxntiger
Cardiff
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I am writing this review on our last night of a great week stay. Was apprehensive coming here after reading some reviews, but it exceeded my expectations. We had room 534 with great view of pool and Atlas Mountains, it was very clean, spacious and great WiFi connection. We did not experience any noise at night during the stay, and only saw some poolside maintenance which was of no bother. We found ALL staff to be very friendly and welcoming and really helped make our week special.
Considering the price we paid we found the food to be excellent, different themes each night, some nights better than others, but plentiful and we always left feeling comfortably full - as it was buffet style you could eat as much as you wanted and there were some very good sauces in the salad section to spice up any bland food. There might be a hunt for cutlery sometimes, but we found that funny and staff were always so helpful.
We enjoyed our stay and are sad to leave.

Room Tip: 534 was good for views and WiFi.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank suamph
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Just returned after a five night stay , check in was very good , I had a roadside room and found it very comfortable and spacious. It was very clean and stocked well with toiletries and towels , shower was very good , The gardens and pool area were undergoing some small maintenance work but it didnt bother me at all.Plenty of outdoor furniture to enjoy the sun .
The restaurant was poor and I found the food bland, I didnt discover any other eating places nearby the nearest being close to the railway station about a 15 to 20 minute leisurely walk away. A taxi to old town central Marrakech was only 40 dirham. All in all a great base to explore the town but let down by the eating facilities . A small picket line was outside ,not sure what it was all about but wasnt bothered by it .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MatthewVH
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Good things first: the room was spacious and it and the bathroom were very clean. Some of the staff were very helpful.
BUT: the hotel was very noisy. On three of my seven nights, building work (very loud hammering) started at about 11pm; the reception staff were of variable help in getting it stopped. Secondly, although it was nice to have a room overlooking the pool (very pretty area) this also meant it faced the night club The bass note from the music meant I couldn't get to sleep.
The food was very disappointing. When one sees the spices for sale in the markets one would expect to find these used in the cooking. No such luck - food horribly bland.
Also, the hotel is not a 15-20 minute walk from the centre of Marrakech; it takes 35-40 minutes to walk to the Jemaa al Fna - too far to take a post-dinner stroll to it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo