“home from home” 5 of 5 stars

Origin Hotels Riad Magi
Ranked #284 of 1,171 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“home from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I stay at Riad Magi on every visit to Morocco when I am en route to my holiday home in Essaouira. The staff are delightful, I am met at the airport and helped with my luiggage which is just perfect. The riad is beautiful with a magically calm atmosphere. I leave feeing rested and ready for my onward journey fortified with a delicious breakfast of freshly baked croissants, fresh orange juice, pancakes and home made yoghurt, What could be better.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

We stayed for three nights and payed in advance. Maggie was wonderful when we booked over the phone and took endless trouble to explain everything to us and give us advice, since it was our first visit to Morocco. The family-owned riad operates with a level of trust and warmth that feels as though you are coming home each time you return. Nothing was too much trouble and we particularly enjoyed sunny breakfasts on the roof terrace.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

I stayed at Riad Maji during the Arts in Marrakech Festival. The Riad is part of the fringe festival. Its event is always one of the most popular - and just about the only one which extends its (free) hospitality to ordinary Moroccans and genuinely reflects the local culture.
I have stayed there several times and it's a real home-from-home as the staff are great and Maggie is most welcoming and helpful. I think your reviewer who was put off by paying by cheque etc. missed out on a wonderful holiday experience with her nit-picking attitude but I can't help feeling rather glad about that , as all the people I have met at the Riad have had the easy and relaxed attitude you need to get the best out of Morocco. Your reviewer comes across as too uptight to really enjoy the place. A lucky escape there Maggie is all I can say.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

On February 2nd (two months before our intended stay) I called Magi Perry to make a booking for two double rooms for two nights at Riad Magi. She quoted me a price of £75 per room per night, which I agreed to happily. She then said to confirm the booking I would need to post her a cheuqe for £100 (who writes cheques these days anyway!) and then would need to pay the remaining £200 before I left the UK and had even landed in Marakesh!! I told her I thought paying the full amount for a hotel before you had even been to the country was very strange and she insisted that everyone does it. I explained I had stayed all over the world and had always paid on check-out and she replied "this is no backpacking place". She proceeded to be terribly rude.
I almost told her that we were no backpackers and our last hotel had been five star. But I didn't bother. I cancelled my booking right away.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank Grace037
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

In the knowledge that we had organised a complicated surf tour ahead of us, we wanted to find somewhere we could relax with trustworthy hosts at a reasonable price.

We were picked up from the airport and had already had a great transfer rate negotiated for us by the Riad team. We then arrived and were given a lovely breakfast after a gruelling early start from Luton.

We were immediately given bottled water and offered any help or advice we required.

The acommodation itself was lovely, Tadelakt plaster in beautiful colours and a lovely communal roof terrace and courtyard was always lovely to come back to after the hustle and bustle of Marrakesh.

The Riad team organised our taxi to the coast for 6 at an incredibly good rate and sorted our return.

We had dinner in the Riad before flying out the next day and it was our best meal in Morocco.

Definately would recommend.

Sam

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
happedazze
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

Wonderful location. Stayed here with 4 other medical mission volunteers following our mission in Er-rachida. I liked it so much I went back a week later for two days when my bf came to travel with me. The staff is wonderful, the owner Magi is very accomodating and gracious. Loved having breakfast on the roof, it's very cozy and romantic.

highly recommend staying here..

• Liked — atmosphere and staff
  • Disliked — narrow stairwell
  • Stayed October 2008
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank happedazze
Canterbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

My husband and I stayed here during our honeymoon. We stayed for 2 nights at the start, and 4 nights at the end. The service here is way above expectation, the staff who work here are helpful, friendly, professional. But they also seem to enjoy working here, which adds to the lovely atmosphere.

Morocco threw everything it could at us, storms in the Sahara, villages washed away in front of our eyes, illness, and a dishonest driver - but on returning to riad Magi we were able to recover in style.

Maggie, who owns the Riad, helped us arrange several excursions, and we took advantage of khadija (one fo the staff) excellent culinary skills with an afternoon of learning to cook some moroccan dishes.

I would definitely recommend Riad Magi,

• Liked — friendly, intimate atmosphere
  • Disliked — the pillows, they need new ones in the little room (i had to think of something)
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank smeshp