All reviewskarma suiteroof terraceclassic roomsecurity guardmobile phonedeluxe rooman oasismint teadar el bachaatlas mountainstaxi standevery morninghammam and massagewhole teamwonderful staycentral courtyardboutique hotel
Reviewed February 15, 2011

The room we stayed was apparently nice, except because we need to climb to a gallery in a dangerous stair to reach the bed, then when i made the reservation (http://www.riadsmorocco.com/riad-marrakech/riad-72/) they offered me a shower and bathtub, there was not badtube at all and the shower was encharged to made a mess in the whole bathroom, the floor was wet the whole day, so we needed to dry it up with the towels of the terrace. where you can find the splash swimming pool, is like a play mobil pool, is so small. is like a the badtube they did not put in the room.
The worst experience: I decied to invite a friend to drink something in the terrace of the riad, not in the room, and all of a sudden came the guard, in a rude way and shouting at me came and made me a big scandal telling me he will call the police for that, and treated me as a criminal. First of all we were not informed about any policy or rule about of not been able to invited people in the public areas of the riad, like restaurant or terrace, i understand exactly rules, but there are ways to communicate things, even the manager told me was about the bad french of the guard , i thing was not the topic, the excuse was so banal.
Plus there were a hysteric children that did not let us sleep
I would NEVER would like to go back there! They all were so fake! less smiles and better services can help the place

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank glennzero
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This was the perfect place to stay as a group, especially if as we did, you have exclusive use of the Riad. The rooms were stylish and modern, although if you like your privacy beware the bathroom doors are curtains. My room was on a mezzanine with some steep stairs but with a very nice seating area at the bottom. But if you have a problem with stairs you can access the bedroom through the bathroom. The other rooms were excellent especially the largest one with its huge double bed and fantastic bathroom.
The views from roof terrace were amazing and from one side you could see the Atlas mountains and from the other you face the souks and the old town.
The food was excellent and the staff were brilliant, nothing was too much trouble it was a welcome retreat after a busy shopping trip.
The only (minor) downside is the very early call to prayer, which you will hear all over the city and once you get used it even the lightest of sleepers will be able to ignore.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank MrsSonners
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Riad 72 in early Dec 2010 and it was a wonderfully intimate and relaxing place to stay. A small riad with only 4 beautifully furnished rooms, the staff at Riad 72 made sure that we felt like we were at home. The owners of Riad 72 have done a wonderful job and putting together a fantastically luxurious hotel but they have done something even more special - created a environment and service culture that makes their guests feel special. No request was too hard, and every member of staff were unfailingly polite and always smiling. In particular, Fatima their incredible chef, was incredibly generous and gave me some of her recipes and invited me into her kitchen to show us how to cook our favourite dishes. All I can say is it was a very special experience and when I go back to Marrakesh I will definitely stay there again. Thanks to the team at Riad 72 for an amazing stay in Marrakesh!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank racquellita
Reviewed January 1, 2011

This hotel was an absolute idyll. My male partner and I booked through Mr & Mrs Smith, adding a note asking whether they would be comfortable with a gay couple staying. When, by the eve of the trip we hadn't had a response, we contacted Mr&Mrs Smith once more who, whilst they couldn't get an answer from the Riad 72, said it shouldn't be a problem.

The opposite was true. We were made incredibly comfortable. Anything we wanted was provided - a small beautiful hammam with two young Moroccan students who gave us the full hammam wash and scrubdown; breakfast and dinner on the sun terrace; beers and olives in our room before dinner...

Our flight arrived three hours late due to the snow, and we were trepidatious about the transfer. A man was there with a sign saying "Riad 72" - they'd checked and rearranged their schedule to make sure we were met. We were welcomed into the Riad [read the other descriptions on this site - they are true!] by the charming Rashid, a young Morrocan man with a degree in Political Science, and Alexandra, who seemed to run the place in the absence of the Italian landlady. They literally couldn't have done more to make us feel at home. Alexandra is the perfect guide for protocol - frank and incredibly helpful, especially for the first-time traveller to Morocco she's excellent.

We stayed in the Amal suite, which has the biggest bath - perfect for trying out the black soap bought in the souk.

Fatouma is the chef - often she was just cooking for us - who prepares traditional Moroccan fare with a twist. Utterly delicious, she'd decide what we'd have that evening and then we'd sit and wait for the delicious courses to be served. Terrific Moroccan wine and beer available - at a significant markup from the duty free, but that's to be expected. We ate at two extremely high end restaurants - Fouquet's and Dar Moha - and neither compared to Fatouma's cooking, not to mention the simple, comfortable ambience of the riad.

We were discreet both inside and outside the riad, but it was obvious that we were a gay couple, and everyone made us feel totally at home.

If you stand on the sun terrace when the call to prayer begins, you get this extraordinary sound of multiple calls to prayer from the various mosques in the city. Enchanting. Take your earplugs if you're easily woken - the call starts at 5am, though the sound from within the riad was much much quieter.

I'm hesitant to recommend this too highly in case it's difficult for us to book next time!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
13  Thank samandmitch
Reviewed November 13, 2010

This little Riad is very stylish with Moroccan / Italian decor - the roof terrace overlooking the city is also a great bonus.
The 4 rooms in this Riad are each unique, with lovely moroccan features. The only negative was the bathrooms were traditionally designed and therefore have no door between the bedroom & bathroom (only a curtain).
The location was a very convenient 5min walk to the souks and a 10min walk to the main central square.
Whilst all the staff were excellent, the highlight of this Riad was most definitely the food. Fatuma (the chef) has designed a traditional menu executed brilliantly. We also visited several different restaurants recommended by friends and guidebooks, none of which compared to the Fatuma's cooking!!
The internal courtyard provided a serene setting for relaxing and eating meals.
As an extra touch, this Riad has it's own Hammam room and will also organise massage treatments in your room.
Overall, a fantastic trip, we will definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple