“Chic, smart riad in a central location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Jnane Mogador

and 1 more site!
Jnane Mogador
Ranked #200 of 1,130 Marrakech B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Chic, smart riad in a central location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

I was a bit apprehensive because we were arriving in Marrakech without any hotel booking and a fairly tight budget. Since it was almost low season, we figured it'd be better to simply just show up and compare prices/rooms first-hand. Fortunately, we stumbled across this place! From the exterior, it looks quite posh and out of our price range - we almost didn't even walk in! But it turned out that the low season rates were actually very reasonable for what you get, and we managed to snag the very last room available due to a last-minute cancellation. The riad is really very beautiful and well-kept. I was most impressed by the architecture and the roof-top terrace. The ensuite double room, while quite small/claustrophobic-inducing, was very clean and nicely furnished. There was also a small TV and fan (TV didn't work). Overall, it was a very pleasant, peaceful place to lay our heads after a long, hot and crazy day in Marrakech. The location is excellent too - only about a 3 min walk away from "the big square." A great deal (especially if traveling during low season), but you still might want to reserve a room since they seem to frequently be full.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

First off, let me say I did not stay at this riad and I didn't eat there. But I visited it. My taxi from the airport dropped me who knows where and told me my riad was an easy walk. Right. As I wandered in the narrow alleyways I tried not to panic. People approached me from all sides offering to help and/or sell me something and I knew I needed to keep walking. Finally in desperation I saw the sign for Jnane Mogador and I ran inside. The owner was wonderful. He welcomed me to Marrakech, tried to give me instructions and when he saw it wasn't sinking in, he had one of his staff escort me to my riad, carrying my luggage in a little cart. Such kindness made my day. I intend staying there on my next visit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank AuroraSky
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2011

My family, including our five-year-old boy, spent four nights here in January, and it was great. It was easy to find when we arrived, because it is so close to Plaza Jemaa El Fna. The staff was friendly and welcoming, making us feel at home immediately. The building itself it very handsome and well-maintained. Everything is very, very clean. There is a pleasant little restaurant on top, which is definitely worth a visit.

The rooms were very reasonably priced, and the beds were comfortable. The rooms were not large, but our room was large enough for the three of us. We were able to receive wifi in our room, which was very convenient.

Next time I return to Marrakech (and I will) I shall stay here again.

www.riderbymyside.com

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2011

Stayed at Jnane Mogador recently for 5 days. Overall, given the excessive prices that are charged in Marrakech this place is excellent value for money, €29 per night for a single room ensuite with free wifi included. The location of this hotel is excellent, less than 100 metres from the main square Djemaa el Fna. The hotel is three story with a courtyard restaurant and lounge area offering excellent views of the Marrakech Medina. Reasonably priced breakfast is available for €4 and meals (tagines and couscous dishes) for €6-€8. However, the menu is the same every day. As with most of the medina area of Marrakech, alcohol is not served in this property.
There are some aspects of this property which may be off putting to some people:

1. The booking procedure is a joke and there is no secure online facility to do this. Instead they charge one night's stay as a deposit when you book a room and they request that you either email them your credit card number (very risky) or send the money by Western Union. This is what I did and it worked out ok.
2. One of the staff at reception was rather rude in that he demanded payment for the remainder of my stay on morning the second day. I was told when checking in that I could pay when their credit card machine was working. Previous reviews on this site of this hotel from a few months back have mentioned the "broken card machine", so this is still a problem here. In the end I gave him euro cash for the stay, which of course he made a profit of €10 on with his exchange rate.
3. Double bed in the room was made for a very small person. The room was also very small and not really big enough for a double bed anyway.
4. Room has traditional style wooden doors that open out into a courtyard, not very well soundproofed so you could hear the outside noise. Fortunately, the reception was staffed until late at night so noise from guests was not tolerated.
5. Ground floor rooms had bright decor and paintings on the walls but no natural light, the only window in the room was a stained frosted glass one that faced into the courtyard area.
6. Shower and taps need replacement washers, continuously dripping. No excuse for this as it is easy to fix.
7. No hot water early in morning. Had to leave at 7.00 for an escorted tour but not hot water available for a shower.
8. Frequent smell of a sewer in the bathroom. This is probably not the hotel's fault as it can be quite a common problem in Marrakech.
9. One day I saw a rat running across the floor of the rooftop restaurant. Again a common sight in Marrakech. Fortunately there are plenty of feral cats around to take care of pests.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, really on the price and its excellent location. Just expect to pay cash for your stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Philip771
roma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

Pro:

1) Unique location: very close to Medina and Djema el Fna square
2) Absolutelly cheap for what you get
3) Located in a traditional and very romantic ryad, simple but traditionally refined.
4) Wonderful terrace for breakfast and lunch.
5) As soon as you get out of the hotel you find what you are really expecting from Marraquesch: smells, colours, exoticism

Cons:

1) Most of the rooms are very little and inadequate for 2 people
2) Beds are not confortable and a little short.
2) Bathroom is really minimal, no places to put things on, little shower with a curtain ...
3) Hot water is available only in certain hours
4) Be ready to cohabitate with (hopefully) your hair in the room for the entire stay.
5) Table clothes are sometimes dirty
6) Can be noisy due to the other guests in the courtyard where all the rooms are located (but this is tipical of a ryad)
7) Located in a very narrow overcrowded street, sometimes bad smelling and not safe due to the continuous crossing of motorbikes that are litterally threatening lifes of tourists. This is an extremelly seruious problem of the entire center of Marraquesch: motorbikes are running like fools on the crowded streets of the city center and they don't care of pedestrians. You will meet the same problems in crossing big avanues due to the lack of rules on the streets. Traffic lights are rare and pedestrian crossings are rare and unrespected.BE REALLY CAUTIOUS!

Reccomendations:

1) I absolutelly reccommend this hotel it if you are a very easygoing person. This is Morocco, if you are searching for luxury, confort and vey high hygiene standards this ryad is not for you.

2) Ask for the bigger rooms (one is on the groudfloor and 2 are on the first floor)

3) If you need a driver call Larbi: +212 (0) 662269513. He is a punctual and responsible person. The fares we agreed for 4 people in a reserved 6 seats car were:

1) 500 dirhams, all day long availability
2) 200 dirhams for taking us to the restaurants and bringing us back to the hotel.
3) 150 dirhams to the airport.
4) 600 dirhams to bring us to Essaouira and way back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2010

Everything is located nearby within walking distance. The rooms were a little small, but always clean. The staff are all plesant, and greeted you with a smile every time they saw you. Tucked away from all of the hustle and bustle of the Medina. During the day, you can actually catch the bus from the Airport, and walk there through the Medina.

• Stayed December 2009
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

Room was clean but cramped (three beds in family room). Really hot as no air con so think carefully if you are booking in the height of summer. Staff were friendly and the meal we ate in the roof top restaurant was pleasant and the alcohol free beer tasted like nectar! Proximity is brilliant for the Grand Place - literally about 50 metres. However when we closed the door at night it was really quiet and made a restful change from the madness of Marrakech.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family