“Overall worth the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Limoun

and 1 more site!
You added Dar Limoun to your Saves list
Dar Limoun
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   25 Derb Ben Amrane | Riad Zitoun El Qdim, Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #662 of 1,149 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“Overall worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Hi, We recently spent a week at Dar Limoun. Overall, well worth the price. Great location with a few drawbacks.
1- Bring cash. I booked through hotels.com. They verified that this Riad takes credit cards. I show up and the friendly host Fayid tells me their credit card machine is broken. I ask how long it will be to fix it; he said that it won’t be fixed. This is not accurate. When staying at a hotel in nearby Essouira they had a technician out to fix their credit card machine within hours. So this started the aggravating trek to find a way to get some extra cash in Marrakech. Most ATM’s in the Medina do not accept magnetic strip cards. A hike to the newer section and a helpful security guard later and we had cash in hand.
2- It’s difficult to find. There are signs leading to the alley way it’s on, but once there they had work done to the door and thus hand no sign. It’s a blue door on the right, right next to the collapsed building. There is a girl there throughout the day to open the door for you. If you need any help or directions, email me beank19@hotmail.com .
3- Most of our stay we were the only ones in the Riad. The manager Fayid would bring in friends and family to eat downstairs some evenings. No problem, kids running around etc. One night we were there alone and a young unknown man opens the door and comes in. He goes to the roof top and enters the small computer room. This was a problem and incredibly scary. We knew the hosts there, met families, but for one guy to come in and hang out on his own, not so good. We left and were going to bail to another riad. Upon returning the man was gone and Fayid was there. I told him we were fine with family and friends coming in to visit. Fayid then strangely said that family and friends do not visit. This was within 3 hours of him introducing us to them. I asked about the man. Fayid told me his name and that there is a group of seven managers that share responsibilities between riads. They all have keys and in this case he was just coming in to check on things, use the computer. It would have been nice to know this when we checked in.
4- Toilet paper is scarce in Morocco.
5- There is a mosque about 70 feet from Dar Limoun, bring ear plugs if you are not ok with loud noises early in the morning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We had a great weekend in Marrakech, and it was helped greatly by staying at Dar Limoun.

The location just minutes away from djemaa-el-fna couldn't be better, and it is also within walking distance to some amazing palaces.

The standard of finish probably isn't as great as some more expensive riads, but it felt authentic and look beautiful. The terrace/breakfast area was lovely and peaceful, and the roof terrace wonderful - you need to go up during dusk and watch/listen to the bustle of the city and the call to prayer.

Our room was nicely decorated and comfortable, and the bathroom compact but perfectly fine.

The staff did not speak much English (then again, why should they? We should have known more French!) but were very friendly. The owner even let us use his computer to check in to our flight.

I would really recommend staying here if on a budget

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ghughes87
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Myself and my sister stayed in the Dar Limoun in March 2011, and in April 2012 I returned with my husband. It's a lovely, quaint riad, clean and so near to everything, the location is perfect.

Whilst in Marrakesh we went on the tourist bus which was very good, and we visited Tombeaux Saadiens (the entrance fee is very cheap).

We booked two day trips with the Dar Limoun riad owner to Essaouira and Ourika Valley. A very nice young Moroccan man came to the riad to take us to the mini bus. A tip for Ourika Valley: make sure you wear trainers / walking boots, and wear shorts or jeans, not a skirt or dress as there's lots of climbing, so make sure your footwear is decent for climbing! There's quite a lot of walking up rocks, sometimes walking through shallow water, and walking over dodgy / uneven bridges. The trip isn't dreadfully good for the unfit, elderly people or people with walking difficulties. I was going to wear a maxi dress and sandals, but thank goodness I didn't, I wore shorts and borowed a pair of my husbands trainers!

Breakfast in the Dar Limoun is basic, but very nice. There are towels in the bathroom, the bed is comfortable, an there's spare blankets in the wardrobe. The owner of the riad is very nice, and very helpful.

I would definately return to this riad when I next return to Marrakesh.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Busybadger
Billund, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We had the nice room up on top with easy access to the roof terrace. the room was nice, the duvet excellent. breakfats was okay - the last day we had morroccan bread/pancakes - that helped. service is okay, the woman during the day doesn't speak other than morroccan and didn't want to give us toilet paper when we ran out but the guy that speaks french and some english is very helpful. it is centrally located and the street nearby has shops, small kiosk and in the evening a good cake vendor.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

The hotel owner was very nice and friendly and even upgraded us to a better room in our second night without charging extra. I think the location was perfect as we were only a couple of minutes walk away from the main square. I really enjoyed my weekend in Marrakech, so much in fact I'm staying here again next year.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

This was a nice place. The owner was very friendly and came to a meeting place to pick us up on time. We only stayed for on night. The room was good but there quite a few ants. We had coffee and orange juice given to us for breakfast. He told us he was going to make us eggs but that never happened. I would go again because of how good the location is. You are virtually a few steps from the square. It is a 1 minute walk through a seemingly safe alley and you have arrived.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed here with friends in a triple room (a double and a single bed). The room was simple, but very clean and had a really nice vibe. The riad was small but also had a good vibe. The courtyard was a great place to hang out and to enjoy the free breakfast.

The location was grand - easy to find and close to Djemaa el Fna. And the value for money seemed really good compared to other riads that we stayed at. Although others were a bit posher (more tiling, indoor fountains etc), this really had everything we needed.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends