“Better than I expected after reading the reviews!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Meriem Hotel

Meriem Hotel
Ranked #374 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
Todmorden, United Kingdom
“Better than I expected after reading the reviews!”
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I was worried after booking this hotel and then reading the reviews...well, I needn't have been. The hotel was fine, the staff fine (a couple of the waiters were a little stand-offish!) Our room was good, the bed was enormous, and very comfortable! There was everything we needed, nobody stopped me taking water or snacks in, in fact I saw two girls order a coffee and get their own cakes out of their bags! I was glad there was no mini-bar, the fridge was empty so I out my stuff in there! The hotel says it doesn't serve alcohol...it does sell cans of beer, but a very inflated price. Also the coffee is expensive.
The food was good most of the time, if a bit repetetive! I heard someone say they'd have have preferred a full English breakfast...Go to England then! You aren't going to get a bacon butty in a Muslim country...
The location was good, 10 mins walk to the new part of the city and the big shops, a short taxi ride to the square. I'm glad I didn't stay right in the Medina, it was good to get back to the hotel and a bit of peace! I managed to get wi-fi on my iphone in the bedroom, so that was a bonus!
All in all, I think it was good value for money. We had half board and always managed to find something good on the buffet cart.
I'd stay here again...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jude19604

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Arabic first
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2011

very impressed on arrival but certain things detailed on hotelopia website missing from hotel eg indoor pool, washing machine and. also no wifi or balconies in room but the + side was a great 24 hr movie channel.
we also wondered why certain people were getting preferential treatment at meal times and worked out that it must be tip related so on last night we gave big tip to come down to a royal breakfast. but you will only enjoy it if you like bread and pastries. so if you want this give at least 50 dirham tip on first night and you wont have to leave your seat again. be careful with kids in restaurant as no high chairs and witnessed a child get a nasty bump on the hard floor.
pools very cold and a little dangerous because they are plunge pools and slope rapidly no good for elderly or kids.
not much to do in the evenings as no bar in hotel but gave us the opportunity to venture out and found a great hotel with a brits theme bar called the nassim, which is about 10 mins walk away, also check out le paix restaraunt walk right take first right and first left about 300 yards from meryem and in the daytime the gardens will be open out the back and its a really tranquil place for a meal with a bird garden and water fountains.
also in the meryem my 9 year old girl found a tortoise family living along the back wall of the big pool which kept her occupied. (alias timothy) guides are 300dh for half a day not really necessary if there is a man present within your party, we had one for the souks because you can get a bit lost be warned they might take you to a few places for some hard selling maybe all there friends stalls.
always carry small change as there will be a beggar round every corner.
places worth visiting are the atlas mountains, pharmacies, the storks nests at the palace, the jardin and the medina.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank holidayinukisbest
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I stayed at the Meryem hotel in the Gueliz neighbourhood of Marrakesh as part of a one-week all-inclusive vacation. My big mistake was reserving at a hotel at all - if you are spending any time in Marrakesh, you are better off staying in a riad near the Djema el-Fna, you'll have a much more comfortable and authentic experience. Otherwise, you are a 45-min walk away from "la Place", which is still do-able, but certainly not right next door.
The Meryem hotel is a 4-star place trying desperately to live up to its 4-star status. The lobby is grand and stuffy, as are most of the staff. There is a doorman to let you in and out of the main hall, a bellboy to lug your bags to your room, and a whole army of cleaning ladies and waiters in black bow ties and white gloves. Everyone is polite, but it is very apparent that most wish the clientele was more upscale.
We were aware of the hotel's shortcomings listed on this site - most of which ARE true - so we were able to act accordingly and still have a comfortable time. It is true that you cannot bring food into the hotel. You will be stopped if you are carrying the clear grocery bags containing water or food, but we were never searched upon returning from a day out. Thus, you can easily leave with a day pack, buy water, figs or cookies, and return to your room with no problems. Note that we did not abuse this oversight, and only snuck in what was absolutely necessary, such as bottled water or small dry snacks. We ate out at restaurants otherwise.
Do not expect great variety from the all-inclusive buffet. I cannot speak for the lunch or dinner menus, as we did not include them in our package, but breakfast was the same food all 6 mornings we ate at the hotel and not very original. Bread, cheese, yogurt and jam were the main items, and 2 days in a row the dairy truck was late, so we ate a lot of bread and jam...
Our room was in the second tower, past the impeccably clean swimming pools. The room was clean, well set-up with a wardrobe, large bed, chairs and desk. The toilet and shower are in 2 separate rooms, but there is a bidet in the room with the shower. We still don't know how that works out. The water was a little difficult to control in the shower, and often it was more of an exfoliation than a shower!
The bed was a little hard but didn't affect our sleeping and there was a choice of hard or soft pillows in the wardrobe. The curtains block out all signs of light, so even at noon on a sunny day, not a hint of sun comes in. We didn't use the aircon, just opened the window, and we turned on the TV by hand, since the remote was not working, but we only watch the BBC anyway, so no worries there. The cleaning was done every day, if we had wanted, but we're not really dirty people, so we only had the room cleaned every second day to get fresh toilet paper.
From what I could tell, WiFi was only available in the lobby, either on several computers set up in a hidden corner behind the coffee lounge(20dir/hour), or through your own device(free). I used my netbook, and had a fast, easy-to-use connection with no problems. There is plenty of comfortable seating in the spacious lobby where you can connect and do your blogging.
Don't buy your drinks in the coffee lounge if you can avoid it, as the prices are grossly inflated. Head out to either the cafe de la gare across from the Train station(2 streets away) or to Haway, around the corner for your coffee or mint tea at normal prices. Haway is also great for a good inexpensive meal, and friendly. professional service.
In short, stay at Hotel Meryem if you have to, but you can easily find a much better place if you try. Take all the reviews here with a grain of salt and act accordingly, and you'll have a good stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank skyisblu
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 18, 2010

This hotel is a faze. Good decor in the lobby and foyer but that's about it. The staff in grey uniform presumably the doorman was rude as my group had brought water and was disallowed. The group had been on the road for more than 10 days and water is a must. STOP RIGHT IN THE LOBBY. Hotel internet in the lobby doesn't work at all. Breakfast is continental with no change of menu. The toilet is announce the whole type.

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL, IT IS A SHAM, CALL THEMSELVES A 4-STAR BUT DEFINITELY NOT WORTH HALF.

Anyone intending to check into this hotel, DON'T.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank omega123

Travelers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Cant believe how horrible a waiter was as I took my own water from the airport into hotel. As we were ladies any complaints dismissed. On booking website supposed to have kettles/balconies/wifi/minibar, but had none. There was a fridge in room but empty, not allowed to take food in so whats the point.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Please remove this hotel from your list of accommodation in Marakech. The hotel room cleanliness is extremely poor. Not only are, there bed bugs on the bed I slept on but I found the previous guest's stocking under my bed!. Imagine my dismay at the way the housekeeping dept cleaned the rooms! There is also a bouncer at the lobby who does not allow drinking water to be carried to the rooms!

• Stayed November 2010
Ilminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I understand why previous reviewers have said the staff are rude, it all depends who is on the desk and door. Hannah was a delight at the desk, she was warm, generous with her advice and ready to have a joke. The man on the door was very distant, and it seemed we were an annoyance to him.
The rooms were basic, but clean and comfortable.
The location was fine, a long walk to town but only 30Dh ( about £2.50) in a petit taxi.
The breakfast was continental, and didn't vary from day to day.
The evening buffet was food! Can't give it a better review, had absolutely no character, nothing morrocan, and quite expensive for what it was.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family