New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Diwane Hotel

Diwane Hotel
Ranked #156 of 511 Hotels in Marrakech
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Really enjoyed my time here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from 1 weeks stay in Diwane Hotel. It is in a good location to explore the city. The Medina/Square/Souks are less than 10 minutes by taxi, which costs £2. It is also nearby to the Hivernage, where you find all the clubs, bars, casinos and more upmarket restaurants. There are a few nice restaurants and bars within walking distance, we especially liked the Sky Bar and the roof of Hotel Renaissance opposite. Drinks were a bit pricey but the view was excellent. Nearby is the Carre Eden mall which has a h&m, Mango, Zara, Carrefour and a nice ice cream parlour!

On arrival we were shown to our room which we weren't overly happy with. It didn't have a balcony and was above the noisy main road. However we asked for a room with a balcony and were moved the next day, the staff were very helpful and we were much happier with the second room. Which was clean and spacious and the maid came in every day. Air con is included and worked well which you needed in the heat!

The pool area is nice, and big considering a lot of hotels don't have a pool, sometimes it was a struggle to get a sunbed if you got there later than 10 but the pool man would always help you to find one and you were provided with towels.

We were Bed and Breakfast but only went to Breakfast once- choosing to have a lie in! The Breakfast was ok, eggs, bread, crepes, fruit and pastries but nothing special. However we ate in the restaurant for lunch every day and the food was really nice and reasonably priced. Sandwiches, pizzas, salads, pasta, omelette, all really tasty. The service is slightly slow but we came to learn that this is the same throughout the whole of Marrakesh! So we got used to it.

The spa is an added bonus and they also have a gym.

All in all I would say this hotel is great value for money and a good base. The staff were very helpful and went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed the holiday. I would recommend it!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Sarah_291085

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Toulouse, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

The pool was not big like we expected, but was clean and nice to swim after spending a hot steamy day. There were one couple of turtle and one friendly cat in the garden , it was funny to see that they were getting along each other. The room was big enough and tidy but felt a little bit old and dark. The view from the room was just abondoned rubbish on the street. I liked the breakfast as there were plenty of food both salty and sweet. This place is worth the price. Stuffs were really kind and helpful. The location is good in New Marrakesh.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank norinko
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel. The rooms were clean and big, and there was a small window on the bathroom, viewing into the room. The food was really-really good, much better than in Agadir, Safi or Casablanca. It is near to Place Jamal El Fna, the centre of the city. The only weakness of the hotel was the view of the room. I could only see an abandoned ground between two buildings.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Valus B
Baildon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Just got back on sunday from staying a week at the Diwane hotel,After reading some reviews previously i wasn't sure what to expect,But went with an open mind.
We had amazing time!
The room was lovely clean aircon,Fruit basket waiting to rose petals on the bed everyday from our maid.
The staff were great.Friendly everyday.And the pool guy never stopped all day helping people.
We went half board,Evening meals were great,Something different every night,The chef would come and chat to us and ask if we enjoyed.The breakfast was ok but after a few days we would have loved a bacon sandwich,But hey we can get that back home....:) 'not an upset tummy all week'.

If you want to see Marrakech and don't want to pay the big prices the hotel were charging,Then find mohamed the one legged taxi driver!
We spend two days with mohamed at a fixed rate for the day,And we got to see the beautiful city and much more!
What a great man! Totally looked after us all the time.And made a great friend.
Yes drinks are expensive,So big bag at the ready in a morning to the super market,What is 10 minutes down the road for our alcohol and goodies.

Weather fantastic and a great pool to cool down in.
We had the best week ever and couldn't have asked for more!
Would definitely stay here again.
So try not let petty negatives reviews cloud your judgement on this great hotel.'Its not hard to move a blanket'.:)

If your looking for a traditional moroccan feel hotel then the diwane is it!

Room Tip: Pool facing was lovely.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank sam20202014
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is lovely looking and very clean. (The cleaning ladies were lovely.)

TV, fridge and air con good.

Also in walking distance...1/2 hour...to the Medina (and just 10 mins to McDonald's).

Food...buffet was edible but same thing day after day.
I just thank god we were not fully inclusive as I think we would have
gone mad eating the same thing twice a day for six days!

As half board guests, we were relegated to the plebs restaurant and
were not allowed to sit in the area I wanted to sit in.
Instead, they sat us outside next to the toilets. Nice (not).
I felt very patronised by their treatment of me.

However, the chef did kindly cooked up some chips especially for my fussy 9 year old daughter.

I had a hamam and massage...that was ok.
The female staff used the term "no problem" quite a lot, which is nice.

Staff did not explain how to order drinks, etc. and tended to be quite abrupt when asked about such things.

In fact, I became very upset by the attitude of two particular male staff members. One in the restaurant and one on reception.

They say they want the customer to be happy but they don't
actually do anything to facilitate that.
I just felt palmed off.

They seemed not to understand what I was trying to say,
so I gave up trying to explain and decided to write it on here instead.
I'm thinking, maybe they will understand this better.

As a single woman inexperienced
with travelling and being alone with my two children,
I really could have done with a better attitude from those particular members of staff.

It was my holiday and I feel much more could have been done to make us feel welcome and valued.
Instead I felt alone, intimidated and afraid.

Another point...
It became apparent to me and several other guests that
the internet seemed to stop at 7pm each night although staff
seemed affronted when I dared to suggest it gets switched off.
Seemed a bit suspicious ...

The swimming pool is nice, and the guy who cleans it is friendly and helpful.
He gets a little precious over his towels but that just made me smile ;)

Ironically the attitude of the staff improved
about one day before we were due to leave.
Too late I'm afraid.

And I did hear stories from other guests that they heard staff making deals
with taxi drivers to over-charge and split the proceeds.

Overall a good hotel. Just could do with some
customer care training and to leave the internet on!

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

We travelled as a group of 4 ladies, interested in the sun, relaxing and the hammams.
Check in - very efficient nice warm welcome for everyone.

Room - surprisingly big, clean and had great air conditioning.

We had rooms overlooking the pool, and neighbouring building site.

Pool -absolutely freezing. We travelled in February but it was early 30s and the pool was definitely a shock to the system. Nice and clean though.

Thank you to the lovely bloke who would tend to the pool, come midday the sun will switch in the courtyard and when we went for lunch every day without fail he will move our things to the new sunny spot. Was never a problem and for a few quid he would reserve our beds.

Food- lunches, absolutely delicious pizzas and burger,ps, salads were top notch. Staff again lovely.
Evening meals however we certainly struggled. A lot f the same same, I'm adventurous with my foods but I struggled to find a decent meal. Such a shame as the lunches were top notch.
Breakfast, again lovely.

We were half board and were happy to pay to dine in the hotel for lunch as very nice.
Drinks- very expensive. There are shops that are so much cheaper outside turn right down Main Street, lovely bloke called habil will sort you out with snacks and water.

Now for the spa, absolutely lush came out feeling so relaxed, fantastic prices for the packages, whole set up was great from the stairs with candles to the spotless hammams steam room.

Also, might I add I am very grateful to the staff on the doors, always keeping an eye out you feel very safe in the hotel.

All in all, fab time, miss marrakech and its many different aspects. Would return, only not half board.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Walshy84
South Cave, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We booked a room overlooking the pool which we got on the top floor. The air-con was much appreciated and was very efficient and quiet, couldn't have done without it with temperatures in the 40s during the day. We removed the extremely thick blankets and quilts for the duration, really not needed. Room and bathroom was basic and just acceptably clean but shower left a lot to be desired, however towels and sheets were changed daily. we had a fridge, good for storing our water in ,and although there is a notice at the entrance which states not to bring your own food and water in, we didn't encounter any problems .The breakfasts were uninspiring, although plentiful, not very tasty but acceptable. We ate one night but meat tough, salads good and cakes limited. Ambience dire. Outside better than inside with the drab décor and lighting. Also I do not like tables being completely stripped for the next day while I am still eating. Nothing in the entertainment field, couldn't wait to finish and leave the table. Unfortunately it's either go into dreary, dark reception area or go out of the hotel, we went out. A pity we couldn't have sat in the pool area on an evening because the pool is really good and so well kept by the excellent pool man. It would also have been great if they had done pool service throughout the day, would have enjoyed having lunch by the pool but there are no facilities for this. Reception staff are very pleasant, waiters not over friendly but not rude, doormen and porters are helpful. All in all it's not a bad hotel but it just needs an injection of conviviality. In conclusion there were certainly no bed bugs, thieving chambermaids or aggressive security men I did wonder if that reviewer had even stayed in this hotel because I didn't recognize that description at all.

Room Tip: 524 overlooks pool, has a balcony and is very quiet because it is an end room on the top floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple