“Fantastic value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Diwane Hotel

Diwane Hotel
Ranked #156 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Surrey UK
“Fantastic value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Diwane at the end of June and over all I was very impressed.

I’ve read a few reviews from people who clearly stayed here around the same time to us and I’m quite baffled by some of the comments.

The location is fantastic - the tourist bus stop is right outside the building and you are within walking distance of some fantastic restaurants, cafe's and bars. No more than 30dirhams taxi ride from the Medina you get to experience both the French and Arab side of Marrakech. If you want a city break where you want to see the sites but also have a pool to chill out by as a bonus, this is the place for you.

It’s a city hotel, so there are building works around – its not intrusive, the sound never disrupted our sleep. If you want to be in the centre of town, there will be dust and a bit of building – this is North Africa after all. If you want to look out of your window and see palm trees and tranquil surroundings, don’t stay in the centre of Gueliz.

We were half board - we took this option as it was only £16 each to upgrade from B&B - so I wasn’t expecting much – we used it a couple of times. Both lunch and dinner are very nice. Lunch is probably better as it’s from a menu rather than buffet style. We ended up not using it every day as it’s a 3 course lunch and in 40 degree heat was just a little much – there are lots of local café’s you can pick lunch up in for very little.

The rooms were a reasonable size – there is only wifi in the lobby – this is as advertised so I find complaints about this to be a bit unfair. The staff were very friendly always helpful and we had no problem with language. They gave us early check in free of charge and there was always someone on reception whatever time of day or night we arrived.

The hotel is very clean, I saw nothing unhygienic there. The cats are an issue across the whole city, not specific to this hotel - I didn’t think they were a problem to be honest, they lounged about outside the lobby, not really bothering anyone. I suspect people who have a massive issue with this don’t leave the country very often.

Only complaints I have was our air conditioner was very noisy – although I didn’t complain about this so gave the hotel no opportunity to rectify it and the cleaners consistently forgot to replace our towels – this was quite irritating when you’d get back from a day out/swim unable to shower.

One note, if you like a drink – the Sky bar in the hotel across the road is pretty much the same price as the hotel bar in the evening and provides awesome views over the city – better to pop there instead. Drink in Marrakech isn’t cheap, may as well do it with a view!

I’ve read a comment that it’s not a 'romantic' hotel. Its a hotel - not a resort, if you want beautiful views and the all inclusive experience then stay in one of the resorts by the Palmaries. We got engaged on this holiday, so the hotel clearly didn’t impact too much on our romance?!

All in all this hotel represents fantastic value, our complaints were minimal and given we paid under £600 for both of us for 5 nights with flights I was very very pleased.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Limey122

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Pictures uploaded on this Site online don't really look like the hotel itself. My boyfriend and i stayed there for 4 nights and 5 days.. and i don't think we will go back there again, any time soon.. the was no variation on the breakfast as served the same everyday.. other than that there were cats everywhere.. coming closer .. just annoyed me a lot. the Spa was very very good and not too expensive.. so if you stay there long enough, make sure to have a nice treatment. Internet facilities only at the reception, the staff there super kind!!

All in all it was alright, don't think we will go back there though.. any couples who plan a romantic stay.. its not the right place to be. if you just want to go there for a sunholiday its perfect.

be careful on the streets, lots of beggars all around.. trying to sell you hats and stuff.. !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank head_bigg
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

What can I say about my week long stay at the The Dwaine Hotel? Well it was not what I had expected. There were several factors which made my stay here terrible.

I went on a half board basis and the food looked unhygienic and was diabolical. There was no variation - Breakfast and Dinners.

For the full 7 days, the bread rolls, cake slices and pastries were all stale.The orange juice was not fresh. There were million of small black flies on the orange slices, bread products and stale pastries – YUCK! A chef was making ommelettes which were oily and absolutely disgusting!

For Dinner, I was extremely disappointed by the lack of Moroccan cuisine. For the whole week, they had the same cous cous dish, a fish and chicken dish which were both undercooked, sauted vegetables, soup which looked unappertising, salad accompaniments and similar disserts both covered with small black flies. Several nights, I felt ill and could not have a good nights sleep. Half way through the holiday, I had to abandon these meals and instead resort to eating cereal bars, crisps and chocolate bought from the local supermarket. What a waste of money!

Cats

I was shocked to see that they were stray cats in the restaurant area. I did alert the staff to remove them on numerous occasions. However, they always left the doors open and the cats kept coming back into the restaurant area.

Rooms and Cleanliness

You could not fault the room size. However, the bed sheets looked as if they had never been washed or changed. There was also a lack of English TV channels.
My room was also situated where I constantly heard construction work taking place and dogs barking keeping me up for most nights.

The staff were incompetent. Prior to our departure date i.e. 2 days in advance, we had asked them to book a taxi to take us to the airport on time. However, they had booked it for the wrong time and we were worried that we were going to miss our flight.

This hotel was definitely not the standard of any 4 star hotels which I have previously stayed in nor is it good value for money.

Overall Comment

I would sum up my stay at the Dwaine hotel as being unpleasant and stressful. I will certainly not be staying in this hotel in the near future!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank dg123456
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for two nights, one at the beginning and one at the end of a charity trekking trip through the Atlas Mountains.
A large group of 25 of us arrived at midnight on Friday, and the reception staff were well prepared and very helpful. They looked after some of our baggage while we were away in the mountains, ready for our return the following Saturday.
The rooms were very large and comfortable and well-equipped with TV, air-con and fridge. The two single beds pushed together were huge, and my friend and I didn't even bother to separate them. We had a very restful sleep on both nights, despite our room being at the front of the hotel. The bathroom was large and traditionally decorated.
There was a great selection at breakfast, with some lovely buttery pancakes/bread cooked while you wait. The pool was a welcome sight on return from the mountains and we made good use of it. Really nice to have a pool attendant handing out fresh towels, but unfortunately the bar and waiting staff were a little slow. Just put this down to being on 'Morocco time' though!
I can't comment on proximity to local attractions as I didn't stay long enough, but I'd say that from my experience you couldn't go too far wrong with a stay here.
We got a taxi to Pacha easily enough from outside - Pacha definitely recommended!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are at the back overlooking the pool, but also overlooking some building sites! Rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Clare C
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just returned from visit to Marrakech and chose the Diwane Hotel. Recent reviews were mixed but we found it to be perfect for what we wanted. Food was "ok", i'd suggest the evening meal rather than lunch as better quality. Room was cleaned thoroughly each day with fresh towels. Our rooms were first floor overlooking courtyard and pool area - no terrace but not a big deal. Reception staff excellent, restaurant staff could have smiled a little more. Pool guy is very attentive and provides towels etc on demand. We did leave our sun lotion one day and was told they didn't have it - lo and behold, it was being sold in the gift shop next day. we challenged the guy and he did return it to us, saying he was trying to help the pool guy with cash for his baby!!!
They are very strict about bringing drinks and food into the hotel, beware! City Tour Bus stops right outside the hotel for both tours.

Room Tip: Only had our rooms to go by, cant fault them - 118/120
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Great location, about a half hour walk into the main square which was an easy walk but quite hard in the midday sun. Right next to lots of restaurants and shops. However, we failed to find any bars or places to go after dinner but I don't think it is the right city for bars anyway! The hotel was absolutely spotless and constantly being cleaned. The staff were delightful, particularly the lovely girl on reception who spoke perfect English, however, many staff didn't, but that wasn't a problem. The pool area and rooms were also lovely... don't really have anything bad to stay. Great value for money and perfect place for a relaxing spot out of the hustle and bustle of the city. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, our was room 307 and was perfect!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Diwane hotel was about a 30 minute walk Djeema el Fna (market), if you’re walking I would recommend early morning or when it starts to cool around 6pm other times or if not its only a 5 min taxi ride- we paid about 20-30 diarhrams for a petit taxi, if the taxi drivers says more just laugh, say no and go ask the next taxi driver!
If it a lovely 5-10 minute stroll to the Jardin Majorelle, literally walk out of the hotel to the main intersection, turn left and just keep walking straight for 5 minutes and you will see the signs for the Gardens are on your left hand side.
Hotel its self was a standard hotel, I would probably say it wouldn’t be 4 stars in UK hotel standards but it was a comfortable and very affordable, good location hotel. For July, the air conditioning was a god send and a lovely pool and surprisingly plenty on sun loungers! (Good Hint is to get a lounger on the grass area- you get sun all day long!)
My sister and I had a Hamman Massage at the hotel, was lovely and we tipped well- was not sure what to expect but the women was friendly just was apity there was only her so I had to wait about 30 minutes till my sisters was over but I just stayed in the steam room and relaxed.
The food was amazing, very Moroccan. The Cold salads where the best and always a variety of meats and cous cous at dinner, all the staff where friendly and did not mind if you decided to save some money and not drink in.
We found a supermarket about 5 minute walk away and sneaked in bottles of water as they were 22d in the hotel but 3d at the supermarket, just make sure you sneak it in as the security told me off one day (in a nice way then hid his eyes and said he’ll pretend he didn’t see me)
Lovely hotel, Half board was perfect to be able to explore Marrkech and sample Moroccan food elsewhere, and for the price… Bargain!

Room Tip: Ask for a Pool side view with a balcony, you get wifi from the 3rd floor down.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends