WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #92 of 511 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Quite extraordinarily wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Marrakech and all it's wonders can be quite an assault on the senses - it's incredible and magical but can actually become somewhat exhausting by day three. Well that was certainly what I found on my first visit 10 years ago.
However this time I decided to stay at Riad Farnatchi based on the reviews I had read, the beautifully laid out website and of course - the photos. As a result it completely changed my perspective on the city and I just can't recommend it enough. The Riad blew my away - not a single photo really does it justice. When you arrive in the Old city it's inevitable that you are hit by the mayhem and sensation of the city and then amidst all of this you arrive, down a small shaded back alleyway to this beautifully looking door, you are greeted by a beaming member of staff and enter the Riad.
People have mentioned in their reviews that it is a hidden gem - and there's not really a better way to put it.
It's tranquil and calm and beautiful - the attention to detail is beyond any place I have ever stayed before.
I'm one of those people that love to explore cities, I wanted to disappear into the souks and eat couscous from the street vendors in the square and not to spend all day sunbathing on the rooftops. However returning to the Riad, be it in the morning, afternoon or evening, was really - for lack of a better word - blissful. It was a world removed from the chaotic atmosphere of the buzzing alleyways and souks that were a stones throw away. Location wise it was the perfect place from which to discover Marrakech.
Me and my friend (who really did spend her days simply relaxing in the pool or catching the rays from the Riad rooftop) would sit and have a drink and watch the sunset over the noise of the city from the Riad us in the evening and it really was magical. So chilled, so charming and exactly the way anyone should enjoy Marrakech.
It is the only place I would now stay when I'm in Marrakech, without a doubt. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more efficient and James (the owner of the Riad) was delightful to sit and chat to as well as brilliantly helpful with all aspects of our trip.

If you are heading to Marrakech - really take my word for it - this is hands down the place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KimWelply
jameswix, Owner at Riad Farnatchi, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write this very kind review, it really is hugely valuable to us especially when the review is such a glowing report! The team take great pride in their work and will very much enjoy hearing your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at the Riad in June this year with a friend and I have to say it is one of the best places I have ever stayed in. As an interior designer I can be very critical of the interior but it really is unique with beautiful Moroccan antiques set in a stunning modern backdrop.

The staff were beyond helpful and we were even lucky enough to have a full tour of the Riad by the manager - a real treat.

Riad Farnatchi is a hidden oasis in the bustle of Marrarkech. As soon as you step through the hidden door you are transported to a quiet, beautiful environment - whilst sitting here writing this view at my desk at work I wish I could transport myself to the Riad and be having a massage followed by a glass of wine by the pool!

A huge thanks to everyone at Riad Farnatchi for an unforgettable stay - expect to be inundated by visits from my friends and family that keep having the hear about its beauty!

Room Tip: All are wonderful - you can choose if you would like a private balcony overlooking the wonderful cou...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
jameswix, Owner at Riad Farnatchi, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
We are all so pleased that you enjoyed staying at Riad Farnatchi. We very much look forward to welcoming all your family and friends, thank you for spreading the word! We also hope that you will make it back to Marrakech before too long.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Riad Farnatchi was a truly unique discovery. It was close to the souks and many of the sights of Marrakech and once inside the Riad, it was a haven. We found the Riad with the help of one of the friendly staff who greeted us at the edge of the old town once the streets became too narrow for our taxi to penetrate. After turning off a rather non-descript alleyway, the door of the Riad opened and we were welcomed by Saidea who could not do enough to help and accommodate us. We were handed cold refreshing face cloths and offered drinks before we were shown around – both very welcome after our journey. The décor was fabulous from the ground floor right up to the amazing roof terrace, where the views were incredible.
The Riad was immaculately presented and so stylish – the detail was astonishing. The ambiance was tranquil; a perfect place to retreat and escape the rather lively surroundings outside. The food was delicious and seemed to cater for all tastes and there were over 10 different ways of eating your eggs in the morning!
The Hamman was a fabulous experience – don’t miss it.
I cannot rate Riad Farnatchi more highly – thank you ………… we’ll be back!

Room Tip: Each suite is individual and they are all wonderful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
jameswix, Owner at Riad Farnatchi, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Riad Farnatchi and that you plan to return! We are always working on improvements so hopefully you will see some changes when you next visit. I am also delighted to note that you enjoyed our food, we only cook to order so are able to really offer the freshest and most traditional Moroccan food. Thank you ever so much for leaving a review, it really is a huge help.
Malibu, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Truly, it was our favorite experience ever. We absolutely adored it and the service was incredible. It was so beautiful that when I walked in I started to cry! The decor authentic, food incredible and service impeccable! We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
jameswix, Owner at Riad Farnatchi, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your extremely kind words, we are always striving to offer the best possible food and service and it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed it . I very much hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Marrakech soon.
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on our honeymoon and can't praise this place or the staff enough. The Riad is gorgeous and our suite was beautiful, with large private balcony overlooking the courtyard pool, lounge, bedroom with doors to a privare sun terrace, rainfall shower with an array of Molton Brown shower gels, shampoo and conditioner (girls will definitely appreciate this!) and sumptuous bathroom with jack and Jill basins and sunken bath. We had heard fab reviews about the food here so decided to eat in the first night. Before dinner, we found the duty manageress to ask a few questions - I had just had some henna art done (at Henna Cafe- it's brilliant) and didn't want to stain any towels or linen so asked for an old towel, to ask if they could rearrange a dinner reservation for us the next evening and if we could have our meal that night on the roof. Well, she made me a mixture of lemon and sugar up for my henna to help set it, gave me some advice and advised she would put a sheet in my room to take the henna off with, that it was no problem at all about altering our reservation for us and that thirdly, they had just set up a table on the roof for us. When she led us to the rooftop, they had prepared the most romantic table covered in rose petals, surrounded by candles and lamps with our own private waiter and no other diners! The food was excellent. On returning to our room, we were met by rose petals, roses and candles everywhere- it was stunning and so thoughtful. The next day was my husband's birthday and we were out all day. Upon returning quite late after dinner (we were held up due to awful service at Le Foundouk), we were met by a lovely lady who had just called the restaurant as they were concerned we had taken the wrong turn and got lost. She then appeared with a birthday cake they had made for my husband and had waited up for us to return to give it to him! We were so touched! The only slight negative is the location of Farnatchi - it's really in the old Medina near the Souks and can be quite confusing to find (no signposts) and you do get hassled by people young and old wanting to take you places or pestering you when you look at a map. The Riad does have a 'guardian angel' as we called him, who was an older gent who seemed to appear from nowhere when we got a bit muddled, walk us back to the Riad and put a fly in the ear of anyone annoying us! I know this place is a bit pricey but I urge you, save up a little bit more and stay here, even for a night, it is really worth every penny and you will not regret it!!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jameswix, Owner at Riad Farnatchi, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us on your Honeymoon and am delighted that you enjoyed the private dinner on the roof terrace. I am so very grateful for you leaving this review for us, every one counts!
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

What an incredible hidden gem, the service was brilliant throughout our four day visit to this amazing city, the Riad is a perfect contrast to the hustle and bustle of the Medina and the rooms are all exquisite with beautiful attention to detail. Given its location, the room size and quality, and the friendly service (not to mention the stunning roof top terrace for breakfast) it was our favourite of the numerous places we have stayed in Marrakech. Many thanks to everyone at Farnatchi and i look forward to returning in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: Suite 5 was beautiful, looking onto the orange tree courtyard in the centre of the Riad, very quiet...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
jameswix, Owner at Riad Farnatchi, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your review and also for mentioning how big our rooms are, to my knowledge they are the biggest in the Medina! I hope that you will visit Marrakech and Riad Farnatchi again soon.
LONDON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

James Wix and his staff are nothing but superb in the way they run this hidden gem in the mists of old Marrakech. The rooms in the riad are all magnificent and you are pushed for choice.
Staff meet you at the airport and escorted us back to the hotel arranging a fantastic meal as soon when we were settled even thou it was late in the evening. They arranged all of our tours nothing was any trouble they were always pleased to help, will be returning as soon as I can for another beautiful long weekend.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BUNTINGLondon
jameswix, Owner at Riad Farnatchi, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your wonderfully kind review. We certainly look forward to having you to stay at Riad Farnatchi again and I am sure that we can come up with lots more suggestions of things to do and see.