“Made Marrakech”
Review of Riad Farnatchi

Riad Farnatchi
Ranked #90 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I stayed at the Riad Farnatchi for 5 nights between Christmas and New Years. I have never had a more wonderful stay anywhere in my life! The staff are all wonderful, happy, and very helpful whenever we had a question. The premises are sparkling clean and gorgeous. There really is nothing bad that I can say about Farnatchi. Out of 4 different riads that I stayed at in Morocco, Riad Farnatchi was far and away the most elegent and nicest that I stayed at. Well worth the trip to Marrakech!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank McRatz
There are newer reviews for Riad Farnatchi

Reviewed December 18, 2007

We just came back from a short break in Marrakech and stayed at the Riad Farnatchi - it was an outstanding hotel and quite simply the best place I've ever stayed -the service was brilliant - without being intrusive, we were looked after so well -from being picked up at the airport to leaving. Lynn was great - looked after us really well, as did every other member of staff there. I would have no hesitation in recommending this riad to anyone - I already can't wait to go back.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank ukl0nd0n
Reviewed December 13, 2007

Riad Farnatchi is one of the best places I have ever stayed in. I took my wife recently to surprise her for her birthday and we had the most incredible time. The place itself is so stylishly designed and comfortable and the staff are always friendly, charming and willing to help. Lynn, the manager, went out of her way to be helpful, including booking all our other accommodation, transfers, restaurants etc. She was like our in-house travel agent! And she knows everything there is to know about Morocco. She sent us on the most fantastic trip and yet we were still happy to come back and spend our last night in the riad.

I have stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world, but if you are looking for something really unique, quiet, romantic, special etc. you must stay in Riad Farnatchi. I hope to be back there soon.

RC, London.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank therealrickyc
Reviewed December 2, 2007

The Riad Farnatchi in the ancient Marrakesh Medina was simply quite outstanding and I cannot recomment it highly enough. I don't usually bother to comment on where I stay but I have just returned from a memorable four day stay with a friend (end November 07) and experienced the most outstanding service in the most exquisite surroundings. I did not know what to expect but the manager Lynn went out of her way to make sure our stay was relaxing and fun. She took care of organising guides, took care of reservations for dinner at restaurants in Marrakesh and nothing appeared too much bother. Lynn's staff are genuine, smiling and eager to please without being obseqious. All the staff managed the delicate balance of always being there when you needed them but were discreet and not "in your face". There is an attention to every detail at the Farnatchi which is rare to find in even the very best hotels. I am an experienced traveller having stayed in some remarkable places but this tops them all. The Riad only has 9 rooms which is part of its charm. We found the roof terrace was a great way to start the day with the Farnatchi's most delicious breakfast. Our rooms were sumptious and luxurious. It is a romantic place and the interior decoration is impeccable with a balance of local craftsmanship in the decoration along with a modern and elegant twist with some contemporary furniture and marble bathrooms and showers. I really could not fault anything during our stay - infact I never wanted to leave. I think this really is an exceptional place to stay run by an exceptional manager with exceptional staff. I am already planning to return.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maggieWiltshire
Reviewed November 30, 2007

The Riad Farnatchi is a wonderful place with outstanding service, staying there definetely enhanced our visit to Marrakech. We had a beautiful room with a gorgeous bathroom, wonderful outdoor terrace and very large, beautifully appointed sitting area(we had booked four rooms in our party and they were all lovely). There are also many wonderful nooks and quiet places and I often found myself with a book in one of the salons, on the roof or by the swimming pool-enjoying the serenity and beauty of the riad after a day of bustle in the medina. The service was amazing. We were pretty demanding and not shy about asking for, drivers, recommendations, taxis, phone calls to be made for us (my french is not very good), how much things should cost, directions etc.etc. Everything was done graciously , right away. One evening(it was raining believe it or not) I asked for a fire to be built in one of the salons. No problem at all. Hot coffee is at your door in a matter of minutes in the morning...then delicious breakfast on the roof, or in the salon, your room when you wanted it. We had lunch at 3:30 by the pool the day we arrived-(they have a really good lunch and my teenage boys would desert the medina everyday and go back for it) Lynne's suggestion of the "Comptoir" for dinner. Fabulous- we never would have gone and we had a blast. I even called Morad after i had checked out, (I was searching for the BAirways number) and he didn't mind int he least to continue to help! The high level of service and truly gorgeous setting combine to make this a fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank traveller343
Reviewed November 11, 2007

I really wish I could write something more positive. Before going on our two-week trip to Morocco, reading other reviews convinced me that this would be the height of our stay.

First the positive: Riad Farnatchi is gorgeous. Our two rooms were each gorgeous with special touches that made the stay comfortable physically. Private balconies, Moroccan decor with a light touch, very spacious room, Moutlton Brown products.

The disappointment was the service. We never met the famed Lynn during our three night stay, and I suspect this might have been part of the problem. The service was just one problem after another. At first, it just seemed like a few little things, but then every day there was more. I don't want to go into too many details, but we often had to wait 5+ minutes at the outside door to be let in, it was very difficult to find people to order cocktails, the maids entered our room several times without knocking, at dinner the food was cold and poorly served. Less trivial was that our native guide was asked to wait in a secluded area as it wasn't appropriate for him to be in the courtyard. This was downright offensive.

The worst part occurred when we reserved the hammam for one afternoon for a gommage/spa service, where we were told a woman was supposed to come and provide the service. After 20 minutes of waiting, we had to go find someone (again -- a big problem there), and Elza told us no, it was self-serve - this was a lie. Someone else came in and said that the woman that provides the service hadn't shown up. And then that was it.

Again, aside from the treatment of the guide, this was all trivial. But it was missed opportunity after missed opportunity, and then several lies on top of that (one person also told us Lynn had left - this apparently wasn't true). For the money and the vast number of beautiful riads in Marrakech, I would have to recommend finding somewhere else until their service issues are dealt with.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank ClippyZ
Reviewed October 9, 2007

We stayed at the farnatchi for three nights and can honestly say it was difficult to leave. The service was fantastic with staff bringing tea and coffee to your room and endless supplies of fresh fruit and pastries, canapes before dinner. We stayed in suite 5 which was huge with a huge living area and beautiful bathroom with twin sinks and a huge stone bath. We also had a balcony overlooking the courtyard where we were brought breakfast every morning. The staff looked after our every need. When we wanted to walk to the main square they set us on the right path (we did of course get lost!). When we went out to eat in the evening at a nearby restaurant staff walked us there and arranged for the restaurant people to bring us back (they knew we were not good with directions!). I really can't find anything negative to say about the Riad. In fact it spoilt us so much that we found it difficult to adjust to the level of service when we moved on to our next hotel (See review for La Sultana, Oualidia). If you don't mind paying extra to get that higher standard of service and beautiful surroundings and attention to detail, go to the Riad Farnatchi. If I return to Morocco I'll certainly be going back.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple