“Beautiful hotel, 1st class service!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atlas Medina & Spa

Atlas Medina & Spa
Ranked #185 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
Halifax, West Yorkshire
“Beautiful hotel, 1st class service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Firstly, we’d like to note that this is the Atlas Medina and Spa hotel we are talking about. There are two other Atlas hotels very close by and this is the definitely the best! Our whole experience of the hotel was brilliant from start to finish…
Hotel and room: The hotel itself is beautiful, clean and opulent! The reception staff were fantastic, always helpful and polite, never making us feel less important than other guests. When we accidentally broke the shower on the first night and phoned to report it, maintenance were up at the room within 10minutes and had it fixed 5 mins later. The room was huge, overlooking the pool with a very comfy super kingsize bed and a huge balcony. Room was cleaned every day and fresh towels delivered. Bath robes were changed at least twice in the week.
Pool: Lovely pool area, with sun loungers and free towels. When it was busy, the pool man went out of his way to find us two sun loungers, a parasol and a table and put them together for us. After a few days, he even ‘reserved’ two loungers for us even though we never requested it. Pool was clean and refreshing and never too busy.
Eating: We were on a bed and breakfast basis and the breakfasts were plentiful! It was a buffet style and there was everything from bacon and scrambled eggs, cereals, fresh fruit, meats and cheeses to croissants and other sweet pastries. Some days a chef was out doing omelettes and fried eggs to order. Tea and coffee were of a good standard!
In the evening we only ate at the restaurants twice: once in the a la carte where we had a steak and a John Dory fillet with veg. This worked out at about £10-12 each. The second time was in the main restaurant on the buffet style. Lots of choice of starters, mains and puddings. This was pricier at a cost of £50 for two including a half bottle of wine. The rest of time we went down to Jamma El Fna square and ate at the open air eateries. Salad starters, bread, olives, kebabs and a big bottle of water was between £10 and £15 for 2. Be aware of stall 31 and 32 as whilst they look cheap, they are more for the locals as they use liver/kidneys etc. The fresh juice stalls are a must – 4 dirhams (about 30p) gets you freshly squeezed ice cold juice – magic! And no dodgy tummy the whole holiday!!
Location: Hotel was in a great place, close enough to the square without being noisy. Other people have commented about the noise of the nightclub – there was a night club called Actors underneath the hotel at the edge but we did not see this open once in the whole stay and there was certainly no noise! The road in front of the hotel was one way and fairly quiet. It is possible to walk to Jamma El Fna square from the hotel (we did it once) but given the oppressive heat in the evening, it was easier to get a taxi (just flag one down in the street but always agree a price before you get in). We NEVER paid more than 30d (£2.50) although you may have to barter them down!
Excursions: We went through Thomson so excursions were organised through them but we definitely recommend the Atlas mountains in a 4x4 and the trip to Essaouira. Long days but worth it!
Overall, a fantastic holiday. The Moroccan people are amongst the friendliest we have met and whilst we may see them as pushy, trying to get you into their eateries/shops they are only trying earn a living and a firmly spoken ‘La shockran’ (No thank you in Arabic) does wonders! One last thing – the last day of our stay was the first day of Ramadan (the whole of August this year). We noticed a definite difference as the hotel and pool were much quieter and many of the eateries/cafes were closed during the daytime. Just bear this in mind!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view on booking!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Smiley_scribe
atlasasni, Guest Relations Manager at Atlas Medina & Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your wonderful experience at Atlas Médina & Spa and we are very happy to know how much you have appreciated the hotel, the stuff, the location and the services. We look forward to receiving you another time for another 1st class stay.

With our Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

1) There was broken glass in pool from the underwater lights. When I mentioned this to the pool boy, I was asked to pick it up.

2) The pool smelt of urine.

3) Lumps of hair floating in the pool.

4) A dead bird was found one foot away from pool. When I told the pool boy, nothing was done about it as it was still there next day.

5) There was no indication that the pool had a 1.5 foot drop to the deep end. My wife does not swim almost drowned. It took my 16 year old sister to help here as no help was provided by the pool boy – this was the end of our pool experience!

6) Out of the three rooms, only one safe worked. We mentioned this to reception; however nothing was done to resolve this. Instead, other members of our party used the safe in my room. This was very inconvenient.

7) The shower head of one of the room were broken. We notified reception but no one came and it was not fixed. Instead, the occupants of that room shared showers with one of our other rooms.

8) Two room keys stopped working during our stay.

9) House keeper left room door ajar for anyone to enter - lucky, nothing was stolen and no sign of entry. Mentioned this to reception, but they did not really care.

10) The Expedia website states that pets are not aloud, however a local resident had his dog freely wondering around the pool area.

11) There were stray cats outside waiting for scraps from dinner plates.

12) There were birds flying all around the indoor breakfast/ dinner hall. Bird droppings were noticed on walls and floor.

13) Ants were crawling on the indoor breakfast/ dinner tables

14) Upon making some basic enquiries about local events and attractions, we were given inconsistent information which lead to waste of taxi money and time. One person would say one thing, and the other would say something different.

15) Our package included breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was served each morning between 6am and 10.30am. On one particular day, no breakfast left at 9.45am. We sat down at an empty table, went to the buffet to find no food. It was obvious that there were ‘extra’ people in the hotel. They were very rude and lacked basic manners. Eating like ‘dogs’ or as if food had never been seen before. All the plates were used up so they used tea cups as plates. They stood next to the buffet - refilling their ‘cups’ from the buffet with spoons that had been in their mouths. Returning to our table to find a number of these extra visitors had sat in our places and would not move. My hat was put on the floor.

I spoke to the reception manager as the restaurant managers in brown suits were ignoring me when I was attempting to speak to them. The reception manager told me an extra 200 people were in hotel as a flight was cancelled and those passengers ended up at the Atlas Medina & Spa hotel for breakfast. We were told to sit down in the lunch restaurant in the hotel. We were promised fresh breakfast there. No orders for breakfast or drinks were taken for 20minutes. It took another 15minutes to the receive tea and water – our orange juice did not appear at all. We were also given a very old crusty cake – which was stale, hence we did not eat it. We were then told by the waitress that no food would be served until 12.30pm. Once again, I called for the manager, who was not only rude to me but shrugged his shoulders to my wife, stating he did not want to talk to a woman.

Is this how guests are treated in 5 star hotels?

I suggested we have room service, as it was stated in the room directory that it was available 24 hours a day. The manager however told us that room service was not available until 12.30pm. The manager then walked away without any care.

We had no option but to return at 12.30pm. We did eat at the lunch buffet. We were under the impression drinks were complementary; we ordered 2 Sprites and 4 Cokes only to find out after that we had to pay for them. During our meal, we received 1 bottle of still water and 1 bottle of sparkling water. Once again were told we had to pay for the other drinks. I was not happy so I spoke to manager again. It was not the case of money as the drinks prices were minimal but it was the principal. The manager was very rude, throwing his hands up in the air many times and shouting at me in front of other guests.

When I asking him to tell me his name was, he walked away talking in Arabic. I ran after him and he shouted at me again and told me to get his name from reception. I spoke to reception and they would not give me his name so I demanded to speak to the hotel manager. After a lengthy conversation with the hotel manager, he finally gave in were not charged for the drinks.

A lot of stress for a package that included breakfast!

16) The clocks went back on day we were returning to London. We were not told about this by the hotel. We woke up at 4.30am thinking it was 5.30am to breakfast at the hotel before leaving for the airport.

The hotel opened for breakfast at 6am (which was really 5am) which suggests they did not even know themselves about the hour change. We planned to be at the airport at 8am (2 hours before departure) but got there at 7am which meant we had to wait an hour before the check-in desk opened.

I think the above speaks for itself.....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Pally1981
atlasasni, Director of Sales at Atlas Medina & Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting Atlas Médina & Spa. We are very Amazed towards your comment on Trip Advisor.Your complaints are very exagerated and you are misleading any visitor who can take seriousely these comments.we kindly invite you to read the comments of other guests that have stayed at the same period on our property and they have enjoyably ralated their vacation’s experience.

With our kind regards.
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Lovely hotel, in a good location. It had a beautiful pool area with free beach towels and sun beds. The hotel offered free internet. The breakfast was very nice with plenty of variety and excellent service. Rooms were very clean and beds large. Hotel staff were friendly but their English wasn't very good. I would definitely stay here again, and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angel810
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Went to the Atlas Medine for 3 nights to visit the city and it was very convenient. Price and location were ok. Breakfast very good as well. Looks geared towards tours and the western traveller. A friend of mine chose it when we were already in Morocoo. A local Riad would probably be better if you don't mind paying a bit more. Like in most hotels in Morocoo, don't ask too many things or they will rip you off.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

Stayed here just four nights(thankfully!). Put simply very poor service. I asked for a quite room and they put me on top of the night club!! The next day I was changed to a room which was next to a busy road. After much complaining, I was moved next to the pool which was much better. Another complaint, they short changed me on my sterling. ~In my opinion: RUBBISH

Room Tip: Pray or beg
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

Drinks expensive,even soft.

Rooms nice and spacious. Breakfast good. We were half board and the evening meal buffet was a bit samey each night. We stayed a week and the food did get boring at the end. Not very nice but the salads were fine.
Staff not attentive. A longish walk to the medina, not for the old or infirm. Pool cold
All in all ok but I think we would look elsewhere next time

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank joy14607
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

My first trip to Marrakech, we hosted our annual sales meeting at the Atlas Medina.
Upon arriving, the lobby is large and welcoming, the registration staff friendly and speak English well.
The rooms are large, with large balconies, I was lucky enough to overlook the pool and outdoor dining area. (Co workers tell me over the streets are loud). A bit worn interior, but comfortable and clean. Nice bathroom and great shower/tub!
The restaraunts are good. The buffet is decent, considering it's a buffet. (I only had lunch and dinner, skipped breakfast) There is a nicer restaraunt we ate one night, much better food and service.
Our meetings took place in the adjoining hotel building. I must say the staff was very accomodating and providing anything and everything we requested. I admit we were poorly planned, so it was a tremendous help to have the staff so generously get on board and help us out.
I will say, I am a smoker, but even I was overwhelmed by the smoke in the lobby. But then, it is in Morocco, probably just not what I'm used to being from California where you can't smoke anywhere.
Overall, decent hotel, considering I have no others to compare to in the area.
The one big negative is the internet. Advertise free wi-fi...but could never get connected! In the room it was not even connecting, spent a good deal of time in the lobby area, even then it was spotty at best.

Room Tip: Face inner courtyard, not the street!
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled on business