“Highlight of Our Trip to Morocco”

Atlas and Sahara Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private Morocco tours, guided trekking and walking holidays in Morocco,luxury holidays, family holidays, Mountain Bike, road cycling, camel ride, horseback riding, surfing, kiteboarding, 4WD expeditions, Atlas Mountains, Sahara desert tours, Atlantic coast imperial cities tours, schools and scouts expeditions.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I just got back from an amazing 4 day trek from Imlil to Setti Fadma through the Atlas Mountains! I would highly recommend the experience to anyone traveling to Marrakesh. We were picked up right on time from our Riad and smoothly transported to Imlil for the start of our trek. In Imlil we met our guide and muleteer. Our guide, Mohammed, spoke English well and was very familiar with the area, having grown up near Imlil and having guided here for the past six years. During the trek we stayed in gites and Berber inns along the way that were rudimentary but quite sufficient - and which only helped to put us out of our element a bit, in the best sort of way, as we had hoped and expected the trip to. Everywhere we went we felt safe and we met nothing but friendly faces throughout the hike. The valleys were beautiful, the villages fascinating, and the people inspiring! It was an experience of a lifetime that I will not soon forget!

1  Thank Amelia C
There are newer reviews for Atlas and Sahara Day Tours

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We booked a day trip to the Atlas Mountain with Atlas and Sahara Day Tours and it all went very smoothly. It was booked before we went to Marrakech, the driver picked us up on time and took us to meet our guide. We walked for a couple of hours through lovely scenery, climbing quite steeply, crossing some quite challenging terrain at one point to avoid a long walk round to get to the guides village. Here the guide was very attentive, taking us across one at a time and guiding where to put our feet. We then had a fabulous lunch in his house, cooked by his wife. The meat and vegetables in the tagine were glorious, accompanied by chicken on skewers, a massive salad with pasta and lots of unleavened bread, there was no way we could eat it all!!! We then walked back via the waterfall to the large village where our driver picked us up to return us to the hotel. It was the highlight of our trip to Marrakech and very well organised and safe.

2  Thank kraftterrier
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband, daughter and I had a wonderful trip through the Atlas mountains out to the desert. The scenery and nature was amazing and our driver was quite unbelievable. He really looked after us and could not do enough to make us happy.
We should have been a group of 8 but five of the group had to cut short the journey because of sickness. Mohammed and his colleagues at Atlas & Sahara tours organized the return to Marrakech and really took responsibility for our friends and made sure that they were well looked after.
The one negative element that marred our trip was that we spent New Years Eve in the desert where a large German group had organized music turning the camp into a very noisy disco.
Otherwise a wonderful experience.

1  Thank June A
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I undertook this trip with my boyfriend on the 26th April. Overall, very good. I would say that Atlas and Sahara are far more ahead of their time then similar companies operating in the same market.

The correspondence and organisation from Mohamad and Mustapha before we went was excellent. They stayed in regular contact and were reasonable about payment terms and prices. They helped reduce the price by putting me in contact with others who were interested in doing the trip, thus reducing our cost.

Our driver spoke limited English, but was very aminable and friendly. He was able to portray the basics of where we were travelling to and what we were seeing and joined us for dinner on occassion.

The two riads provided were more than adequate. The stay in the dessert and beber house was not particularly comfortable, but that is what you are signing up for.

Our atlas trek guide was quite quiet, I suspect due to limited english - but when spoken to, he made a good effort to talk back. The trek and views were spectuctualar and highly recommended.

The dessert stay was a little weird. We turned up and were whisked into a room with bored looking local 'musicians' who played a few songs and then asked us to buy their cds, we didnt. The jeep ride was fun and the views amazing of the dessert. The hospitiality when we got to the camp was pretty poor, we were not told anything about dinner times or offered a drink, we had to track people down and ask them. The camel ride back across the dunes was a highlight. There was a stop at a 'carpet factory' which was supposed to be imformative, but turned into quite the hardsell. But I think that comes with the territory in morocco and expected it at some point,

We did a day drip enroute to the dessert around local farming land and visited a mosque which was all unexpected and actually very good.

I think I also need to mention our cook on our Atlas Trek was excellent, taking pride in his work and generally being very happy and friendly and were our hosts in the berber home stay.

I think they offer excellent value for money and would certainly recommend you book i

1  Thank BhamTraveller80
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Two of us booked the 1/2 day camel, 1/2 day hiking trip. Our trip was arranged for us with great ease after emailing the general booking website, we were greeted by a private driver for the day at our hotel. The driver spoke English and was very knowledgable and able to answer any and all questions we had. Upon arrival at the camel riding we were greeted by 2 guide. The camel ride was a bit boring and slow but made for great pictures.

We then drove with one of the guides to the town of Imlil. Our driver dropped us off and the guide took us on a 2 hour hike plus an hour lunch in a local home. The guide also spoke decent English and we felt completely safe.

The hike was quite hard as it was straight up a side of a mountain but wonderful views and really interesting.

Make sure you bring enough money to tip everyone- driver, guides, lunch, etc.

It was a wonderful day and I would highly recommend this trip to anyone!

2  Thank MishaWolf86