“Perfect!”
Review of Amal

Amal
Ranked #5 of 861 Restaurants in Marrakech
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Amal Women's Training Center and Moroccan Restaurant is a non-profit association dedicated to empowering disadvantaged women via training in traditional and modern cuisine. The ultimate goal is personal transformation, skill set re-enforcement, and job placement for economic and social stability.
Azilal, Morocco
“Perfect!”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

With so many options available to sample the amazing cuisine of Marrakech, I was really thankful for the suggestion to try Amal. It’s a beautiful, casual restaurant with lovely garden seating shaded from the sun and street. It seems that Amal normally serves a ‘plate of the day’ but I put in a take-out/small catering order the day before, so my family got to try several of their offerings. We were pleased with everything- even the homemade lemonade with a Moroccan mint twist was delicious and icy refreshing.

At the restaurant we had a meatball in tomato sauce tagine. This was no Ragu deal, the sauce was delicately seasoned and so fresh, with actual identifiable bits of tomato and fresh herbs. Delicious. My kids forgot all their manners (ok, maybe they have none!) and I had to fight to catch a few bites. Fortunately we were also served a chicken and veggie stir fry. With a slightly Orientale flare to it, this dish was also delicious and nearly inhaled.

For take-out I ordered a bastilla- Moroccan chicken and almond, mildly sweet and very savory specialty dish often served on special occasions- and several dozen briwats of varying flavors- a deep fried savory pastry similar to samosa, but with distinct Moroccan flavouring. My mother was visiting Morocco for the first time and I wanted her to get a taste of some of my favourite dishes. The bastilla was perfect! Even my pesky former-bistro chef husband babbled on about the perfect hint of lemon and spices in the chicken, the combination of moist filling and crisp outside and on and on. And he had his share cold out of the fridge! Pre-order one if you get a chance.

I ordered the briwats unfried and fired them up for breakfast the following day. Again- perfect! The kids fought over them, while the adults enjoyed our reserved plateful, of course mumbling about how “normally we wouldn’t for breakfast”, but we were after all on vacation and a tight schedule…

I hear Amal’s couscous, which is served every Friday, is also a winning dish and wish I had ordered some of that too, but for next time – insha Allah. Great food, lovely atmosphere, thoughtful service and an awesome organization.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank BrookeofTheHills
M0r0cc0mama, Manager at Amal, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Hello Brooke,
Thank you for sharing. I think you got the full Amal experience by dining in and also pre-ordering something extra special to take with you. Glad the bastilla met your husband's standards! The Amal center has recently hired a new bastila expert and her phylo dough/warqa is even thinner and crispier (amazing what a difference half a millimeter can make).
Hope to see you again next time you are in town.
Nora.

• Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Interlaken, Switzerland
“Great food and an amazing project”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I had a wonderful lunch at the Amal Women's Center. The food was excellent, I had the Briwate and the Moroccan salads. Very authentic and well made. I also left with a box of cookies, that were delicious! The service was amazing, all of the women were very friendly and made you feel at home. It is an amazing project and a great meal, I look forward to going again!

1 Thank kewing11
Zandvoort, The Netherlands
“Very nice!”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We had lunch in this lovely little restaurant. The food was great and the atmosphere was nice. The women working there went out of their way to make our visit worthwhile. They even went to the store close by to get us our cola light. Many locals also visited. That usually speaks for itself. And so it did! Definately worth a visite!

Marrakech, Morocco
“Poor quality food and service!”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had lunch at this restaurant last week: We went because of its high ranking on Tripadvisor. If, as it is defined in many reviews, this is the best Moroccan restaurant in town, I wonder how to define at least a dozen other restaurants serving a Moroccan cuisine much better than this! One example for all: Al Fassia Aguedal! The Moroccan cuisine served by Amal Moroccan Restaurant is ordinary and certainly not worthy of mention. I think to be honest, we should not confuse between the social objective, very commendable, pursued by this restaurant and the evaluation of its very low quality cuisine.

3 Thank Nancy D
M0r0cc0mama, Manager at Amal, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Hello Nancy,
I'm sorry you were unimpressed by the cuisine at the Amal center. We are not a luxury restaurant like Al Fassia, but aim to provide authentic home-cooked meals made with love and care at affordable prices. You can walk out of the Amal center well satisfied for 70 dhs or under, knowing that you ate freshly prepared fare. Our local clientele come because it reminds them of food their mothers and grandmothers cook. Customers who want a little more dazzle are welcome to pre-order a fancier meal, such as chicken or fish bastila, mrouzia, etc. The Amal center is a young organization, we are growing and improving all the time. Your comment will help us strive even harder to provide a special and enjoyable dining experience for all our customers. Thank you.
Rye Brook, New York, United States
“Best Meal I Had in Marrakech!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Amal was by far the best restaurant I visited during my six weeks in Marrakech. The food is absolutely delicious (I recommend the fish tagine) and Amal served the best traditional cuisine I ever had in a restaurant during my stay. The ambiance is great, with outdoor seating and lovely decor within, and the women working there are the epitome of Moroccan hospitality. Its location provides a great chance to see the city outside of the medina, and it's within walking distance of a lot of great shopping in Gueliz. Amal is also a great find because it serves a really important cause. The restaurant is actually non-profit and employs and trains disadvantaged women and mothers in the restaurant business, giving both them and their families a better life. The restaurant even provides services to these women such as lessons in literacy and at one point eye exams. And, the meals are at a VERY good price! All in all, Amal is definitely worth a visit in Marrakech- great food, wonderful staff, and inspiring cause-- I can't recommend it enough!

• Visited July 2013