“Amazing oasis in the heart of the city”
Review of Riad Matham

Riad Matham
Ranked #29 of 1,160 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic stay at Riad Matham. The rooms are spectacular and it's a tranquil escape from the busy markets. I'd recommend dinner here too - the food is authentic and great value. Booking a taxi transfer is recommended - it's a bit hidden away!

• Stayed: December 2013
There are newer reviews for Riad Matham

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We love everything about Riad Matham. Its near souks and 10minutes walk from Dzama square. Riad is elegantly renovated with great sunroof terrace. Thierry is great and helpful host. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We were so happy to have found this Riad, because it is really a special place. Recently renovated this is a true gem in the middle of the Medina. We booked the smallest and cheapest room and were very happy with it. We especially liked the creative decoration and our special entrance door! Breakfast was served in the awesome courtyard and was great. The owner was very friendly and helped us with our questions and provided us with a good map and tips for the area. The Riad is located next to the Marrakesh museum and the Djemaa el Fna can also easily be reached by foot. One evening we had time to experience a great sunset on the roof-top terrace. This should not be missed!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Beautiful and tranquil. We spent some time having dinner and drinks at both La Mamounia and the Royal Mansour, which were lovely, but we would most certainly prefer to return and stay at Riad Matham. The staff were amazing, and we can't wait to go back. Thank you so much!

Thierry (the owner) took us to the most amazing rug shop, where we spent hours with them looking and deciding on which to purchaser...ultimately ended up with three! Go to Artisan du Sud (Draz), beautiful rugs both modern and antique.

For wonderful pashmina/silk scarfs go see our friends at Chez El Moutaousset just down the road from Artisan du Sud...go upstairs for both places!

Room Tip: With only six room, you can't go wrong. Each is unique and beautiful.
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Thierry met us from our cab ride and led us through the winding streets of the Medina. Entering the Riad Matham is like finding an oasis in a dessert! The Riad is beautiful and so tastefully decorated (by Thierry himself); it was such a pleasure to stay there.

We had our first dinner at the Riad and enjoyed Fatima's cooking. It was excellent! It was a good way to get our peace and rest on our first night there. Would have loved to eat at the Riad every night but Marrakech has many tempting restaurants as well, restaurants that Thierry is happy to recommend and arrange for.

I love photographs so having the 360degree view of the Medina from the Riad rooftop was awesome! Watched the sunrise and sunset on the rooftop with a fantastic view!

On the whole, I would recommend a stay with Thierry anytime! Great place, great food, great staff, great location, and Thierry was great too! I fell in love with his bed cover which I tried to find on my own at the medina. After meeting with frustration, I asked him where he got his covers. He escorted me down to the shop and introduced me to the merchant. I got a good price for it and went home very happy. Still waiting for my pompoms though---because I waited till the last minute, I couldn't get exactly what I wanted but we found a way to make it all work out! I took my covers home and they will be posting me the pompoms!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed at the Riad Matham for five days earlier this month. It was my husband's special birthday so we wanted somewhere a bit special.

From the outset we were made very welcome with mint tea and pastries on arrival. Thierry, the owner, and Fatima were very friendly and even joined us on a night out at the end of the holiday. The atmosphere at the Riad was relaxed and homely and it felt like staying with family. My husband was even given a present on his birthday.

One of the highlights was the first evening when we ate at the Riad and were treated to unexpected entertainment thanks to Fatima! The food was really good.

Thierry was an excellent host and provided us with lots of useful information about the local amenities and arranged pick up and return to the airport for us.

The accommodation is excellent; clean, comfortable and cosy and the roof top terrace is great for relaxing as we'll as getting a birds eye view of the medina.

We would definitely recommend the Riad Matham for a visit to Marrakech. Thank you Thierry and Fatima.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed at this Riad for the best part of a week and each time we entered from the buzzing streets of Marrakech it was like stepping into a litte, relaxing different world. This Riad is a very nice place to retreat from the sometimes quite exhausting days such a city trip can provide. The staff was friendly and helpful. Apart from the manager, however the staff hardly speak english. This was never a problem though because with a little french and some body language we always got along fine and if some more detailed info was needed then the manager was always around to provide help in english.
The Riad has a generous rooftop terrace with places in the sun and in the shade. It also has a little pool in the small courtyard of the Riad. If I had one aspect to mention that was not ideal then it would be that the pool is on the groundfloor and doesn't really invite to just have a dip and then dry in the sun, because you have to walk up the 2 floors to get to the terrace. But this is being very picky and harsh...
The rooms are very clean, have a good size (even for familes with children) and a decorated tastefully - fitting to the whole ambience of the entire Riad.
The location of the Riad is pretty good. We saw a lot of the town during our stay and did everything by foot. Some of the main sites are very close by and the famous El Efna Square is aprox. 15-25 Minutes by foot, depending on how well you know your way around.
We were pleases that we decided to stay in the heart of the Medina and not outside in one of the newer parts ofth city.
For possibilities for food in this the area of the town are "ok". there are 2-3 places nearby and the food at the Riad itself is very, very good. We had dinner there a few times and when I read some critics regarding the price etc and can only shake my head. 16 €p.p was including starter, desert, main and water. as I mentioned we were there for one week and when we found places that were cheaper they simply were not as good.

I would really recommend this Riad and I would also recommend to get the transfer (airport/bus station etc) organized by the staff. If you want to do it yourself fine...but definately when trying to find the place for the first time you will wish you had someone picking you up. Without help it is very hard to find. People who know the streets of Marrakech wil know what I mean...

1  Thank james h