“Beautiful property, not quite 5 star service”
Review of Palais Aziza & Spa

Palais Aziza & Spa
Ranked #84 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely week's holiday at Palais Aziza.
The good: The hotel is set in a stunning location and the poolside is magnificent. Rooms are beautifully appointed in Moroccan style and the staff - particularly in the dining room and around the pool could not be more attentive. A very relaxing location.
The bad: There were a few things about the hotel that bothered me. The beds are VERY hard. I thought it was just me as I am pregnant but having returned to our own bed last night and had a lovely night's sleep, I realise that I felt like I was sleeping on a plank of wood all week. Perhaps we should have asked to switch rooms but I imagine all beds would have been the same. The shuttle service - what a performance! Yes the hotel offers one to get you into town which is great, but it only runs twice a day - at 10am and 5pm. So either way you will likely have to pay for a taxi in one direction. Furthermore you have to book the shuttle (essentially a landrover) and on a couple of occasions when we tried to use it we were told it was full already. It doesn't seem right to offer a shuttle service and then not be able to accommodate hotel guests. On one occasion we did book the shuttle - turned up a couple of minutes after the time and it had left already which we were very annoyed about. Although the guy on the front desk did call it back for us - you would think they would have just called the room to tell us it was leaving (since only 4 people were taking it anyway). A taxi trip each way is about 100 dirham and the cost did start adding up over the week. The pool - the hotel offers both a heated and unheated outdoor pool (one of the main reasons I booked it because I am pregnant and wanted to make sure I would be able to swim irrespective of the weather). Both pools were freezing when we arrived and after a day or two, I asked the hotel if the heated pool was broken. They told me it had been turned off because of the warm weather (yes it was breaking about 25 degrees, but the water was still far too cold to swim). I asked them to please turn it on which they seemed to oblige for one day when it started to heat up and a few guests were in the water. The next day it was cold again. I had hoped they would just leave it on for the rest of our trip but they must have turned it off and I couldn't be bothered to raise the issue again. Food in the dining room was average - but we ate there a few nights after deciding the taxi into town and back would make any other meal even more expensive. Hotel breakfast was good enough but selection was quite limited and one day I went to put toast in the toaster and the bread was still frozen - wasn't very impressed not to be served fresh bread in a hotel of this calibre.
All in all we had a lovely and very relaxing week and were pleased we had decided to stay out of the medina in the quiet, but these few issues did bother me for the amount we were paying.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lrgower
There are newer reviews for Palais Aziza & Spa

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

We booked the Mosaic after finding it online and looking at the photos. We had no idea just how wonderful this place would be. The staff is welcoming, helpful, kind and accommodating in every way. The food and drinks are terrific. The beds, sheets and pillows are heavenly. They even have a pillow menu in the room! Everyone in our entire group slept 12 hours the first night here. The rooms terraces all look out over a beautiful pool/garden area. it is a place you can sit l day and listen to gurgling fountains and birds chirping. We all had spa treatments which were as good or better than any at the worlds best spas. I would highly recommend the Mosaic and wish we never had to leave! We are three families traveling together from NYC. What a
vacation.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My stay there was from 19/2 - 2/3/14.
Even if you try to find something negative in this hotel you cannot.

The CEO/FOUNDER and GM of the hotel have create and managing a spectacular hotel.

Upon the arrival at the Hotel you can feel that you leave in a romantic awesome Paradise.
All the rooms,the pavilions and the villas are very big,very cleaned and quite well organized in every aspect.

The hotel employees are extremely kind and helpful people.

Overall It worths a million to go there,but it worths a billion to stay there!!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We recently came back from a 5 day break, it was a perfect escape from the wet winter in London. The rooms are beautifully decorated with local designs. It's spotlessly clean and the staff care truly about your needs. Possible the best hotel I have stayed in and I travel a lot. The inside of bar is beautiful and the bar tenders mix a great cocktail. I had a wonderful morning in the spa being pampered. Highly recommend this hotel for a relaxing break away from the crowds in Medina.
Thank you for a fantastic holiday all of the staff.

Room Tip: First floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2014

If, like us, you book this place having read all the enthusiastic Trip Advisor reviews, it’s worth being aware that it really quite equate with what you might think of as a five star accommodation elsewhere in the world. Having said that, the restaurant is absolutely excellent, great food and service, and the vast majority of the staff are very friendly and helpful. We were keen to try Moroccan wine, but two bottles had definitely gone off. There was absolutely no hesitation in offering to replace these, indeed replace them with a better wine. Our room was a little small – even though it is described as a superior room – and the soundproofing was poor. We were woken on 3 of our 4 mornings at 5 a.m by someone in the neighbouring room having long telephone conversations – I can’t blame the hotel for that, but I can express disappointment at the soundproofing. The hotel grounds are beautiful, but the external paths near the rooms really need a bit more light at night – we tripped twice when we didn’t notice steps on the paths. They really aren’t safe. Finally, the hotel is a very long way out of time, and the shuttle service only runs twice a day on request. It is very isolated in an expensive residential area, so there is nothing else to do in the hotel’s near vicinity. Most of the taxi drivers bringing us back to the hotel after days out managed to get lost – despite good signage. It might be worth the hotel providing simple maps for guests to show drivers. This hotel will, I think, get better and better with time. It’s quiet, and beautifully designed, and the staff are eager to please.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davidh of england
Mosaic P, General Manager at Palais Aziza & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Guest,

First, we would like to thank you for having chosen to Stay at Mosaic

We very much appreciated your various comments and points made with regards to the Food quality in our restaurant and the fact that the wine was apparently corked and how our team members have reacted promptly.

We very much regret the noise that came from the next door room, which to my understanding stopped after it was brought to the attention of our guest in the adjacent room, we shall also relook at our lighting as a whole, however I would like to inform you that we also have extra lights that can be added on guest request.

Last but not least, we appreciate your comments about the Taxis struggling to come to our hotel, however it is worth mentioning that we have a Directions Map that we give to all guests going out of the hotel to the Medina, and with it a self-explanatory note in Arabic that allows them to communicate better with the Taxi Drivers on how to come to the hotel itself.

We thank you once again for your comments and suggestions and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again soon

Sincerely

Mosaic Palais Aziza & Spa Management

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We have just returned from a four night stay at Palais Aziza. The hotel grounds are really nice - great pool area, lovely landscaped gardens. It is a 15 minute taxi ride away from the Medina, but we wanted to be away from the mayhem sober could relax in more tranquil surroundings. If that is what you want as well, we cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. We were upgraded to a Pavilion room - which was great; big, well decorated, private. The other rooms also looked very nice, with a nice setting by the pool, but the pavilion room is really great, so we were very happy with the upgrade.

The Spa was very nice, with a range of treatments which were decently priced by London standards.

Best thing about the hotel though was the service. Everyone was very helpful, always smiling and friendly. Special mentions for Toulia and Ismael at front desk. They would always call a hotel taxi for us and this was the easiest way of arranging transport as there was a set rate and no haggling.

If you want to be at a hotel which is not right in the medina and to have the space a peaceful environment that goes with it (but still be able to get there easily during the day or I the evenings) DEFINITELY stay at this hotel. It is really very good.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Have just returned from a few days away, and we cannot fault this beautiful place. The room was stunning, and missing nothing. The staff are exceptional, nothing is too much trouble, and they are always smiling, it's infectious! It's hard to name them all, but one really stood out, Karim is a true asset to this place, and makes sure you want for nothing.

It is worth every penny, and truly is a five star hotel. It is about 20 minutes outside the hustle and bustle, which is one of the positives. As your close enough to experience the true vibes of Marrakech, but then far enough out to be in utter serenity.
Spa was upperclass, and the treatments will leave you walking on air, definitely suggest a relaxation massage early on, really gets your trip started on the right note.
Restaurant was lovely, and food was delicious, it has an Italian theme, but there are Moroccan dishes on the menu.

The only downside of our trip was we had to go home! Definitely a place to return to!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends