“Exceeded our expectations!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #97 of 1,176 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Exceeded our expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Riad Magellan completely exceeded our expectations! It was a great place to relax in the chaos of the medina. The location was very central and a close walk to the souks and square. We had dinner at the riad on our first nice and it was delicious. When we were leaving and heading to Essouaria, Phillipe gave us a number of restaurant recommendations, they were all awesome. I highly recommend the Magellan and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Phillipe, the riad's owner, has thoughtfully created a place of calm and tranquility in a traditionally built Marrakesh riad in the old medina just minutes from the souk. The guest rooms open onto a spacious airy courtyard decorated in traditional Moroccan style with well placed seating and an abundance of plants big and small gracing the walls. The sitting room is quiet and subtly elegant.
The breakfasts are traditional and plentiful.
Phillipe has a lovely team of kindly friendly folk helping him. I felt very welcomed by his staff and consider it a privileged to have met such folk.
Phillipe is very knowledgeable about Marakesh and very willing to share his experiences, as well as organise airport transfers.
I can highly recommend this riad to anyone who prefers a place of peace to return to in the bustle of a busy city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

The arrival at the Riad Magellan was surprising and intriguing - a dark, heavy door discretely situated down a dusty and rough little side street in the historic centre a stone's throw from the Souk. From the slightly squalid exterior, the door opens to a very warm welcome from the smiling staff, and a delightful courtyard presenting an oasis of calm and tranquility - a perfect welcome and an antidote to the hustle and bustle of the market streets.

Philippe and his team were charming and polite throughout my stay, and achieved a lovely balance of engaging friendliness and professionalism. The room was immaculately presented, always clean and with a simple but attractive decor which very much makes you feel in Morocco.

Breakfast was simple and adequate, and my only critique (as I'm a slightly fussy coffee drinker) would be the quality of the coffee. I made do with the tea though, so this was not a big deal. I would also add that the vertical ventilator unit by the bed was a little awkward and rattly, and perhaps a more traditional fan might be preferable.

I thoroughly enjoyable stay and I would have no hesitation in returning or recommending this Riad.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

From start to finish, we thoroughly enjoyed our 7 night stay at the Riad. The staff were very welcoming and Philippe was very helpful in making sure we knew our way around Marrakech as well as helping us to choose a couple of excursions which we loved.
We had two evening meals at the Riad which were delicious and I am already missing the freshly squeezed orange juice, mint tea and pancakes for breakfast!
I would definitely recommend this Riad to anyone staying in Marrakech.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We are a family of four with two children aged 13 and 15, and we stayed for 4 nights at this lovely calm riad. The temperature in Marrakech reached 50 degrees at times, and this was the start of our holiday in Morocco. It was fantastic to be able to spend time in the quiet courtyard in between forays in to the hustle and bustle of the medina. The Riad is easy to find once you get your bearings, Philippe was really helpful and welcoming and the night porter Mohammed was lovely . There are not many places nearby that serve alcohol, and a cool beer when we needed it was also very welcome.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was a perfect place to stay during our time in Marrakech. It is situated five minutes away from the main square and the rooms are clean and beautifully decorated. The staff were extremely helpful and considerate and I recommend staying in one evening to have a home cooked meal.

A great oasis in the centre of Marrakech!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Visiting an unknown country, I was rather apprehensive. However, starting at the airport, I was greeted by the courteous driver from Riad Magellan and escorted to the Riad. There, I was invited to sit down for a delicious cup of Moroccan tea. My room was lovely. My first night, I opted to dine in at a delcious home-cooked feast. I particularly like the traditional tadelakt walls in the bathroom. The quiet atmosphere was a nice respite from the souks in the Medina. I enjoyed reading on the rooftop terrace. The Riad manager, Adil, was extremely courteous and helpful. All the staff had a way of taking care of things in the least obtrusive way. When my plans took me back to Marrakech, I was glad they had a room for me and I got to stay at my home away from home again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo