“Great cultural tour”

Ranked #2 of 122 things to do in Marrakech
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Stroller parking
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Loved staying and being in the Medina, lots to see all the time, loved the culture and hussle bussle

Write a ReviewReviews (15,326)
All reviews
in 320 reviews
"bargain"
in 259 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2013

In Marrakesh: when walking at the Medina we were approached by men asking if we needed help with directions. We tried to explain we didn’t but they were very pushy so we let one of them “help” us. After about 1-2 minutes he “got us to the right way”. We realized that he just took us off the right way, through this very cramped alleys and then back to the way we were at. For this he charged us 20 dirhams, about 2 euros. Actually, first we gave him 10 but he got very angry and said “this is nothing in Morocco”…we were a bit scared, so we gave him another 20.

In Jemaa El Fnaa: you can find everything there, monkeys, birds, snakes, food and shopping. It’s extremely touristy, but a must see! The only thing that bothered me was the constant harassment – to buy this, see that… one guy in particular, the snake guy, was very annoying. We took from far a picture from the snakes he then approached us and put on a snake over my husband’s shoulders even though we tried to tell it wasn’t really necessary…he then wanted to charge us 20 euros for that! Of course we didn’t pay that and he got very angry and a bit agressive…

How much to tip: at hotels, we read that about 10 dirhams per luggage is fine and 10% service in restaurants.

Restaurants: touristy places charge about 120 dirhams per person, but you can find other restaurants just as good for much less, about 80.

Dress code for women: in Marrakesh and Fes, they are more used to tourists. I tried to wear at least knee length skirts, but I did see some tourist with short skirts and shorts, up to you! The other cities are a bit more conservative, so with knee length or long skirts I felt comfortable. I also always brought with me a scarf, so when it was hot and my shoulders were uncovered, if I felt the need I just put on the scarf.

Taxis: there are 2 kinds, the small one and the large. The small only fits 3 people, the big fits 4. Some small ones didn’t have a meter, so we had to negotiate the price.

3  Thank Carolinakemi
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had a great time here and really didn't get much hassle. Women should cover up, this is a Muslim country and Marrakech is very old fashioned. I wore a maxi dress with my shoulders and upper arms covered.

You have to be strong when moving about the medina, if you are not interested in getting a picture taken with the monkeys, getting a henna tattoo, want a hat, then DON'T engage in any conversation. You are not there to make friends, just say no thank you and keep walking, don't say anything else. If you want to have peak at some items in a shop, keep your sunglasses on and the shop keepers won't know what you are looking at to be able to thrust it into your hands.

You must visit this site, you get a real sense of Marrakech, just be strong!

The medina is best at night, the atmosphere is great.

1  Thank Emmie-Scot
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I've been here twice on two seperate holidays. The first time we did it ourself and, boy, was it stressful. While I understand that atmosphere and haggling is part of the culture, I do not appreciate being pounced on just because I am a westerner. If you look or point at something, you have bought it. So avoid that. Also avoid walking into the small shops as it's often very difficult to get out. That said, it was me and my mum (two women) so it might be less intrusive if a male was there.

The prices are a rip off! Our hotel gift shop was cheaper. You can also pretty much get everything cheaper in the UK and in camden! I paid £30 for a small moroccan lamp last time (being naive) because we couldn't get away.

It's very easy to get lost. Therefore this time we went on an organised tour through Thomson and it was (still stressful but) much better. You get to go into the heart of the souks and medina which you wouldn't be able to do without getting lost otherwise.

Tips: don't look (wear glasses), dont point, dont pay more than 1/3 less than the price they state, dont get lost...good luck!!!

1  Thank Emma T