“Have fun in the souks”

and up
3-Hour Marrakech Souks and Medina Walking Tour
Ranked #20 of 165 things to do in Marrakech
Reviewed October 5, 2012

A brilliant place for doing a bit of bargaining ! It is brilliant and you will get lost - but it is all quite safe and some bits are really interesting - including the metalworking souk where they make padlocks and ironwork . The bargaining is great fun and you have to be tough !

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was unsure about going into this area as I was just tagging along with another couple I met on the tour. (I am a solo traveler.) After very primitive camping and hiking for a week in the High Atlas Mountains, I was ready for a little touristy type of area. I little cafes were cute and the area was clearly for the tourist to enjoy. I love seeing individual, thriving buisnesses like this in a world full of Wal-Marts. I would advise US citizens this really is a place to feel safe in. There are cameras everywhere and there is a secret police force assigned to ensure tourist are not harrassed or robbed. (Our guide told us that the king has reserved the severest punishments for those who bother tourists in this manner.) I would have felt safe as an individual without a tag-alone. It was fun to try haggeling with the vendors. The food was simple and good. Beware though that resturant owners will harrass you to get you to their resturant and you will also be, "funneled" by the locals to the tanneries. Also, don't ask for directions from the local children, they will try to fleece you for alot of money and not put you in the right direction. I was concerned with safety due to the uprisings in the countries surrounding this area but it became very clear to me that the people or the government want NO part of it. The city is progressive and becomming very modern. The changes toward moderinism is very embraced by the people who seem quite laid back. Do go if you have the chance!

4  Thank athena12
Reviewed October 4, 2012

It is incredible the amount of good you get in this place.
Leather, coper plate and tray, shoes, lamp, spices, clothes, decoration, carpet, etc...
One advice, when you get a price, just divide it by two to get a good price.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Very friendly locals, remove the thought of "Health & Safety" and you will have a great time. You get to see the locals doing there daily routine. We witnessed the bread being prepared and baked and was encouraged to come inside as see them working. We saw how handbags we made by hand being stitched together. The pharmacy with all remedies on the shelf for certain illnesses. We took a guide for the day for 200MAD He took us to places the normal tourist doesn't get to see. It is a maze so also we didn't get lost on route. Must go to witness for yourself.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The souks were a little bit too busy and chaotic for me.
You can however buy a lot of stuff for a very good price (if you can bargain)