“Ying and yang”

Ranked #18 of 170 things to do in Marrakech
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This is the entrance to the outdoor market and food court of the city center.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Amazing place but I found best viewed from the rooftop terrace of one of the many restaurants surrounding it.During the day beware of the snake charmers, who will rip you off for having photos with the snakes( asked our friends for equivalent of £30, so beware). They are very persistent and physically hold onto You until you give them money!! Lots of beggars, constantly being pestered to buy things and intimidating at times but fascinating all the same.

Write a ReviewReviews (23,842)

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Jemaa el Fna is the central hub of Marrakesh where street entertainment clashes swords with market traders, and outside food vendors, juice sellers and spice stalls overload your senses with smells and colours and taste. This really is a bustling busy area with a real feel of ancient Berber trade routes where a hagglers skills are tested to the limit. We found a polite "La,Shukran" (no thank you) fared you very well when approached by vendors or stallholders, you do get hustled a little but we have had worse and as we say just a polite no thank you always worked. The square is fringed by restaurants and coffee houses with superb verandahs offering vistas of the mellee unfolding below you (you will find almost no alcohol sold though, due correctly to local religious observance). A feast for all the senses and of course a must see on any visit to Marrakesh.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

As beautiful and feastful the place is to the eye, I was shocked to see the amount of beggars. The sellers also tend to set a very high price and expects you to bargain it down. But often the you can obtain a much better price if you venture the peripheral of the square.

1  Thank aerosid
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed close to Jemaa el Fnaa for the 3 days I was in Marrakech. I really hated every time I had to go through it. All the hustlers, scammers, rude people etc etc really could ruin every day. Every time I would look at something, even from a distance, there would be someone trying to make money out of me. The ones with the monkeys tried to get me to take pictures with them, the ones with shops tried to pull me in, others tried to guide me in another direction and so it goes on.

Normally I like a big crowd like New York or Bangkok, but I will never recommend people to visit this place for a longer time. There are a few good restaurants here and there, and it's more fun to sit and watch all the frenzy from a distance. Also, there are soooo many scooters and bikes that I was constantly feeling I was in danger of being hit by a bypasser.

3  Thank AllanBeck
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We ate at number 1 (that's the unofficial number 1 - not the snail stall that really is number 1) for three out of our 5 nights in Marrakech! Incredible atmosphere and amazing value. No dodgy tummies just really great fun and a feast for two for less than £15! Loverly jubberly as you will no doubt hear at some point!

1  Thank Chris T