TripAdvisor

from $13.34
from $18.00
from $20.20
51,203 results
All reviews snake charmers food stalls orange juice jemaa el henna ladies stall holders snails asking price crazy place the main square leather goods buy something for sale hustle and bustle take photos souk vendors
Selected filters
Reviewed October 7, 2012

this square is noisy and full of animation and movements, yet people/sellers are relatively calm and they don't harass you all the time. That makes a nice walk in a pleasant atmosphere, good for souking, and a perfect scenery for photo shooting.

1  Thank chgus
Reviewed October 6, 2012

the souks are lively and there is lots of street entertainment about. the goods are nice and priced well, although be prepared to haggle. the henna ladies can be quite annoying trying to grab your arms.

Date of experience: November 2011
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I've been this type of night bazaar/market many many times. So, no surprise to me and I would rather stay in Riad during the noon as the weather is extremely hot. If you like to bargain on the market, please go to wikipedia/wikitravel search for Marrakech, you will get some tips from there. Food at night market is not expensive if you compare to the price in Europe, Australia or America. But I guess, this place is purely for tourist and you pay everything in tourist price tag. : ) Nevertheless, just enjoy!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

A brilliant place for doing a bit of bargaining ! It is brilliant and you will get lost - but it is all quite safe and some bits are really interesting - including the metalworking souk where they make padlocks and ironwork . The bargaining is great fun and you have to be tough !

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was unsure about going into this area as I was just tagging along with another couple I met on the tour. (I am a solo traveler.) After very primitive camping and hiking for a week in the High Atlas Mountains, I was ready for a little touristy type of area. I little cafes were cute and the area was clearly for the tourist to enjoy. I love seeing individual, thriving buisnesses like this in a world full of Wal-Marts. I would advise US citizens this really is a place to feel safe in. There are cameras everywhere and there is a secret police force assigned to ensure tourist are not harrassed or robbed. (Our guide told us that the king has reserved the severest punishments for those who bother tourists in this manner.) I would have felt safe as an individual without a tag-alone. It was fun to try haggeling with the vendors. The food was simple and good. Beware though that resturant owners will harrass you to get you to their resturant and you will also be, "funneled" by the locals to the tanneries. Also, don't ask for directions from the local children, they will try to fleece you for alot of money and not put you in the right direction. I was concerned with safety due to the uprisings in the countries surrounding this area but it became very clear to me that the people or the government want NO part of it. The city is progressive and becomming very modern. The changes toward moderinism is very embraced by the people who seem quite laid back. Do go if you have the chance!

Date of experience: September 2012