“Hassle-free tanneries experience!”

Tanneries
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Leather tanning is the major industry in the city. It’s definitely worth a walk through this neighborhood.
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Hassle-free tanneries experience!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I read all of the reviews here before going to the tanneries and I have to say my friend and I (both female), did not experience any of the trouble mentioned in previous reviews. It was early in the morning (around 8am) and we were originally looking to make our way to the south of the medina and asked a man near djemma el-fna for help. He then told us about the special day of the Berbers at the tanneries (blah blah) story, which everyone here seems to mention on here and my friend (who speaks French), agreed to follow, with me very apprehensive and thinking we were being led into a pit of skulduggery!
He said he didn't expect any money for showing us the way. We followed this guy for about 5-10 minutes through winding streets, but I was careful to take photos of/ take note of landmarks so we could easily find our way back.
We got to the tanneries and were handed over to a guy who was waiting at the door with the mint leaves. To be completely honest, the smell is not that bad. I didn't need the mint once. Yes, it is unpleasant, but I've smelt much worse on English farms!
The "guide" within the tanneries rushed us through a little tour, of which I took in very little and then showed us up some stairs to the shop, where we were handed over to the proprietor, who stressed there was no pressure to buy. And lo and behold, there was actually no pressure to buy. The goods here did look of a better quality than those in the souks and the proprietor said the price was fixed. He just explained how things were made and showed us his shop. We thanked him and then he showed us to another lady's shop and after looking round, we left. I couldn't believe it- we actually survived the tanneries and got a free branch of mint to go with it!

As we exited, the "guide" and the guy who had shown us to the tanneries were waiting and asked my friend for a little tip. He wanted 100 dirhams, but my friend basically laughed and told him he wasn't getting that. She gave them 10 dirhams each, but it didn't feel like they would have threatened us or insulted us if we hadn't given them anything.
Maybe it depends on the "guides" you get, as to how aggressive they are with the demands for money. If you are young, it might help to tell people you are a student- that way it is assumed you don't have much money to spend on their expensive leather goods!
I would say the tanneries are worth visiting just because it is something different to see. I would have regretted not experiencing it. However, it is not the most exciting thing to see in Marrakech!

3 Thank S M

Yardley Gobion, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Just Don't!!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

From our experience and those of other tourists that we met, the only way anyone went here was because they were told that they were going to see something else--normally the last day of a Berber festival in a square somewhere, before they return to the mountains---utter tripe! We arrived following our 'helpful' passer-by and got as far as the entrance. A peek inside and one sniff said it all---disgusting!! No wonder they had to con us to get us there. The smell made us both feel sick, in spite of the bunch of mint thrust at us at the entrance! We left very quickly. There are so many amazing and beautiful things to see and smell in Marrakech, why anyone would bother with the tanneries is beyond belief!!

Maastricht, The Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The tanneries in Marrakech are a must-see in this city. Ofcourse the place smells that is part of the experience and yes they give you mint if you find it that overbearing. In Fes you are just taken to a rooftop to overlook the tannery and hear about all the processes from above, but in Marrakech you are walked through the actual tannery and thus the smell is more confronting but it is such a brilliant experience to see everything happening in front of you. I don't know why people would complain about such a great experience.

1 Thank Keelinmac
Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“very unique”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

You need some mint leaves under your nose, since the smell is unbearable. Very unique place. A must see.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good experience! ”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

First we need to say: what do you think it is? A Spa?

We went to the tanneries knowing what's going on there! They are preparing skin to leather in a - more or less - traditional way! It's worth to go there if you want to see how they make their work! But like the other reviews say - everyone there wants to make money - just don't be afraid to say "No thanks!"
Three points because you can't compare this with f.e. the really beautiful jardin majorelle! But indeed it's special and worth a walk!