“Very Dissapointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #266 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Leon, Spain
“Very Dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We spent our last night in Morocco here and from the moment we tried to check-in things went wrong.
We had confirmation from the hotel for 3 rooms (5 of us) all with bathrooms and air conditioning. This was not available when we arrived! They had put the single traveler in another building in a room with no window and no air conditioning, it was stuffy and did not smell good. To reach us she would have had to climb 3 flights of stairs to reach the terrace of the second building, then travel down one flight of stairs to our rooms. The front desk then tried to give us a room with no bathroom and no air conditioning! In the end we ended up with a mattress on the floor in one of the rooms. Also only one of the two rooms we ended up with had air conditioning. Not at all what we had been promised!
Next: we booked airport transport for 300 dirhams through the hotel which we paid upfront to the young man at the front desk - we had an early am flight and wanted transport for 7am. We also booked breakfast for 6:30am which they assured us was no problem. At 6:20am we went down to the front desk to confirm everything, the main door was locked, no one in sight or around, we called out, nothing. (The main door locked, no key, no one around, what if there was a fire?!) We went to the terrace, dark, no one, no breakfast set up. Back down to the front desk, it is now 6:45, started looking for keys to the front door, we are talking and trying to figure out how to get out of the building, and we hear rustling in the back room and the night attendant appears and asks what are we doing?? He has slept through morning prayer call and his alarm, he tried to give us breakfast, stale bread and lukewarm coffee in 10 minutes, but it was too late. The hotel arranged transportation did not show up!!! Credit to the night attendant, he helped us get 2 petit taxis to take us to the airport, which we appreciated. We did not get our money back for the missed breakfast.
We would not recommend this hotel, they did not live up to their confirmation of rooms (an email could have alerted us the night before of room changes), we did not get the breakfast that we paid extra for, the transportation promised to the airport did not arrive. And most importantly, the front door was locked, and we couldn't get out! Most disturbing! We had no way of knowing a man was sleeping, very soundly, in the little cubbyhole room!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Esmeraldo O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Andover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Communication between myself and the hotel was first class, they arranged our pick up from the airport and back again.

We were in a double room with air conditioning and shower, the bed however was rock hard, and the toilet and shower room small.

We were also on the bottom floor of the building which meant we had to walk up lots of steps over and down each time we wanted to go out, by doing this we did find the very beautiful terrace were you could relax on cushions or sit by a table. Down stairs opposite our room was a sitting area too, very relaxing and quiet.

We were close to Jemma el Fna but long enough away not to hear the bustle of the night, the morning call however for the mosque is amazing, if you don't like the thought of hearing this around 5am then take some ear plugs.

We did not get too bothered by stall holders on our way back and forth.

We did not eat at the hotel, but ate out, we tried a few restaurants but they either over charged us or kept telling me that service was not included (you over charged me!!) The best one is Saint 7 Snacks, the receipts are printed out, no hassle to leave a tip and if the traders come into the eating area they tell them to go. The food is nice, and also a good price, and a good view of the markets so you can watch people come and go or enjoy the "pop man" delivering so much fizzy!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HomeandAway22
Pleasant Hill, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We spent three nights at Hotel Sherazade. Our room was quiet, but it was very dark and smelled dank and almost moldy. The bed was nice and big, but there was no air conditioning or heat, and it felt very stuffy and damp in our room. We were told that breakfast comes with the room, so we had coffee and bread each morning on their pretty terrace. The breakfast is really only a selection of breads, hard boiled eggs (which run out before 10 am), jams, coffee and tea - and here's the catch: it ain't free! Upon checking out, we were charged 50 dh each for each morning we ate there. In addition, the room was much more expensive than listed in the Rough Guide. The higher costs were a big disappointment. Also, when we arrived, the host asked if we needed a place for dinner and then dragged us down the souk to a very fancy, touristy restaurant and then tried to shame us when we said we didn't want to eat there. The other hosts at the hotel were great - not pushy at all. The hotel has atmosphere, and the terrace is lovely, but that's not enough in my book for making it a great place to stay.

Also, the hotel is in one of the narrow corridors of the souk and you get hassled like crazy going to and from the hotel. It got to be so tiring that we moved to a hotel in a different part of the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nancy H
E Longmeadow, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've stayed at the Hotel Sherazade 3 times and it's been a delight each time. The rooms are small, but well decorated and the courtyards and rooftop terrace are a lovely place to relax. The staff was so friendly and helpful too. I especially loved the harrira soup that they made for me by request every night - yummy!! It's very conveniently located to Jemma el Fna and the medina but is far enough so that it's quiet in the hotel. I hope to return to Morocco within the next year and will absolutely stay here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim_and_Ruth
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We have been coming to Sherazade for about 15 years and have aways found it to be welcoming, clean and super convenient. The best location for the big square.
Very pretty, if slightly tired, traditional Moroccan decor. Super roof terrace with lots of plants.
Very helpful staff.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All are fine.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Biffwix
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I pre-booked a room in this lovely riad and I didn't regrate it. I actually stayed 4 more nights because I liked the place and it was also a great value too.

I stayed in cheap rooms - 180 DH room with shared bathroom, and 220 DH room with it's own bathroom. The hotel is in a great location, not more than 5 minutes walk from the Main Square.
The shared bathroom was clean and had hot water all the time!!

The roof terrace is great just to chill out after a long day walk in the Medina.

Staff has been really helpful. I had many questions and they always gave me great and useful advises about Marrakesh.

I would recommend to bring your earplugs if you are a light sleeper. The mosque next to the riad can be a bit noisy early in the morning because of the loudspeaker calling prayers.

This is great raid and I can only recommend it anybody!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Reni81
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at Sherazade on 4 occasions during my 5 week stay in Morocco. About 9 nights in total.

During this time I stayed in 2 different rooms, both on the upstairs terrace with shared bathroom. The price was 180dr.

Both rooms were pleasant. There was a dresser with mirror. Rugs on the stone floor. Heater provided (came in useful in January.) One room had a metal framed bed and the other a nicer wooden one. They were numbers 12 and 14 if I remember rightly.

The shared bathroom were kept very clean. On one occasion there was no toilet paper but this was soon rectified when I mentioned it. For a while on my first stay they did not refill the hand soap but rather added water to the dregs that were left. Not ideal.

Wifi signal was good everywhere apart from one evening when it was unusable apart from right next to the box. This was the strongest signal I encountered anywhere in Morocco.

The 2 level terrace was a very nice place to relax. There were tables, sun loungers and a covered chill out area with cushions. From the upper part there were good views across the rooftops to the central mosque and also of the distant mountains.

On the lower level was a room where breakfast was served (50dr.) The best breakfast I found on my trip. Included in this buffet were: eggs, 2 types of bread, various pastry type things, spreadable cheeses, jams, yoghurts, tea, juice and coffee. Among other things. Eat as much as you like. Until 11am. I gather dinner was also served upon request but I never ate there. You could order coffee and tea anytime of day and they also had coke and bottled water.

The hotel is located on a quiet side street less than 5 minutes from the madness of the Jemaa El Fna but felt a world away. Incidentally, if you're a light sleeper bring earplugs unless you actually want a 5am wake up call from the nearby loudspeaker issuing the call to prayer.

The staff were a friendly and welcoming bunch. Arafat, who worked on reception in the evenings was a real credit to the place and should be singled out for special praise. He was friendly and attentive and always asked me how my day had been and what my plans were. His English was the best of anyone I met in Morocco (many 'bests in Morocco in this review I know.) Karim also brightened my stay there a great deal. He made me feel like a true guest rather than just a customer.

When in Marrakech do not look any further than Hotel Sherazade. I will undoubtedly return there one day.

In addition: I booked a 3 day trip to the Sahara through Sahara Expeditions on Arafat's recommendation. I was happy with all aspects of the trip although the short days in January meant we did not see much of Dades gorge and darkeness set in in the desert almost as soon as we arrived. Beware another agency a few doors down from S.E. They lied right to my face and told me that they were Sahara Expeditions.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo