“Great rooftop terrace” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #248 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Sydney
“Great rooftop terrace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Sherazade for 3 nights, I travelled with a friend and we shared a small bedroom on the ground floor with a private bathroom.

The checking in process was very straightforward at the front desk, and the staff were pleasant and friendly. They also spoke reasonably good English. The hotel is a converted merchant's residence, and conforms to typical Moroccan architecture with a large open roof terrace and open courtyard down to the bottom floor.

Our room, being the cheapest was small but served as a good base for exploring Marrakech. It was clean, and cleaned daily. The only low light of the room was the shower, which if on at full pressure actually overshot the shower curtain and soaked the bathroom floor. For some reason the drains emptied quite slowly so if you shower for a long period of time you may need to turn off the water to let the shower empty out. This feature could've been an issue with our room specifically though.

The hotel has wifi available, and has an amazing roof terrace which catches the sun all day and is so nice to relax in. This provides a good place to recharge and potentially plan out tours or the remainder of your trip. Breakfast is available at a small additional cost, and provides orange juice, bread, honey and some cheese. On my second day there I had some mint tea that was offered as a part of the breakfast, which i am certain resulted in some nausea later in the day, so my advice would be to avoid it altogether or to double check that it has been boiled for 10 mins. The rest of the breakfast was good. Still, this is all a part of being in Morocco, and I'm not suggesting that it is usually like this, I was just unlucky in this  instance. Everything else was good.

The hotel has a range of rooms for different budgets which makes it appealing. It's also very centrally located and close to the medina which makes it east to get around. I felt it was good value for money.

I would stay here again if I ever visited Marrakech again.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank vc753

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Sherazade for 1 night in Marrakech before departing on a tour of the country. Through our short experience we would highly recommend staying here due to its proximity to the Medina/Markets/Mosques as well as the unique nature of its design and atmosphere. The rooms were small and comfortable, the food was excellent, and the staff were helpful and accommodating.
The hotel is a little hard to find in the labyrinthine streets so make sure you bring a map and a good understanding of asking questions in Arabic!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

My girlfriend and I spent 2 nights in this Hotel while travelling through Marrakech. They really didn't have any rooms available in our price range, but they manager gave us a single with a shared bathrrom for 190Dh, about 19 euro/night. While the room was a bit of a fire hazard, the staff was amazingly accommodating, and truly helpful with helping us navigate the Medina and finding good places to eat. On our last day, they even kept our huge backpacks in their office so we could cruise to the internet cafe to check emails before flying out, which is where I am now and why I'm writing them such a good review.

We were in room 25, on the third terrace, and while the Allah Alarm will wake you up at 5:30 am, the bed is comfy (even for two!) and well well worth the price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

I've stayed at the Sherazade several times over the last 10 years. I've stayed in the cheapest rooms with shared facilities when on my own, and have had the most expensive room with a/c and huge bath when with my wife.

I have always found it a great place to stay ; staff are very friendly and obliging, the place is always clean, and the rates are good given it is the centre of the medina. A couple of times I have arrived to find the room I booked was not available but on each occasion this was sorted out Ok with another room.

The terrace is tranquil and provides peace and quiet away from the bustle of the street. The minaret of the mosque is close to the terrace and can disturb sleep, but this is Morocco after all.

I've only eaten breakfast there once (on the first time I stayed) but prefer to eat out at the first cafe on the square where you can get coffee and crepes with honey for 16Dh.

Room Tip: my favourite rooms are on the terrace with shared facilities. This is definitely the place to be on...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Tony F
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I spent one night here, before meeting with a group to travel to the desert,and was delighted with Hotel Sherazade. The hotel is only a few minutes walk from Djemaa el Fna, and fairly straightforward to find. It is a beautiful old traditional house, with lots of character.
Staff were happy and friendly and helpful.
I stayed in a single room, room 25, which was spacious and airy with a small window opening
over the front door. It cost 190dh which I felt was good value.
For me, the best bit was the terrace. Two of them actually, and great place to sit in the evening after the madness of the square.
Shared toilets and showers were clean and had constant hot water.
Breakfast on the terrace was buffet style with endless coffee, and I was happy to spend a liesurely couple of hours here. The cook sang to the birds and the birds sang back!
After I checked out, I was able to leave my bag here and welcome to use the terrace. . There was no rush to leave. I will certainly return here.
There is also an enclosed, candlelit restaurant on the terrace, and although I didn't have time to eat there this time, fellow travellers had found it delightful.
Its probably best to book in advance here. I booked, online, a few weeks before travelling.

Room Tip: Hotel Sherazade has a wide range of rooms. Some en suite, some not. Some with a/c, some not. Pric...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank ladyinthewhitevan
san francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

like many other reviewers , i too enjoyed very much staying at the sherazade hotel , it's beautifully decorated , very clean , not too pricey for marrakesh and in a great location so what else could you ask for ?!
my girlfriend & i were lucky to be able to get a room at the ' sherazade ' without any previous reservation - of course,there wasn't much to choose from since most rooms were booked already for the day.anyway,we were given a comfy double room with bathroom for a little over 400 DH.we also very much enjoyed the two terraces which were great to relax in the afternoon .
when my girlfriend left,i told the staff that i needed a room for myself for 1 more night.i was shown a simple room with bathroom downstairs but i thought it was too dark so i opted to stay in 1 of the rooms without bathroom upstairs on the terrace.not having a bathroom didn't bother me at all as the showers were next door ( lots of hot water ! ) i loved that little room upstairs since it was so bright & sunny !
the location is perfect too,just 5 minutes away from the djemaa el fna and very easy to find.
one last note , it's true that the hotel is next to a mosque and you will be waken up at about
5 a.m. by the call for prayer , so loud,you feel the mike is in the room , that anybody could sleep thru it is mind boggling to me ! again,not a big deal as i was able to go back to sleep right away.
if i ever go back to marrakesh , i will make sure i book a room in advance at the lovely sherazade , see you there !

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank mexicanbutterfly
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

My husband and I recently shared an amazing two weeks in Hotel Sherazade with our friends and family for our wedding. We can not praise Hotel Sherazade enough.

We arrived a week before the wedding, to a room with fresh roses on the pillow. Following us, our guests slowly started to arrive from Australia, the UK and Switzerland until we filled the hotel exclusively. The staff at Sherazade went above and beyond anything we dreamed or expected in helping us to coordinate the 3 days of events- from a group of 40 women attending a Hammam, bus trips out of town for a 'bucks day' and a rooftop welcome dinner complete with a sea of red carpets, candles, lanterns. They also allowed us to have a ring blessing ceremony on the rooftop the following evening, again 1001 nights Arabian style and an incredibly fun henna session surrounding one of the courtyard gardens. They set up a sound system, played fantastic Moroccan music, even the housekeeping ladies joined in and started dancing and singing.

The food was absolutely incredible, many of us found the welcome dinner to be the best meal we had eaten in Morocco. The 3 course welcome dinner was all cooked in the modest kitchen on the terrace (for 65 people). Each morning we shared breakfast on the terrace in the morning sun-fresh juice, boiled eggs, great coffee (not instant coffee, but great great coffee) a variety of breads, spanish onion, fresh tomatoes....

Over the course of the two weeks my husband and I stayed, and our family and friends who stayed for a variety of lengths with us on either side of the 3 official wedding days, the staff became also like family to us all. Apart from their service being impeccable, they also joined us in the wedding celebrations, impromptu singing and dancing (think Moroccan yodelling and dancing with plates of teaglasses on their heads- all impromptu and completely surprised us!). Every single of member of staff, from reception, housekeeping, kitchen, and management are to be applauded.

The rooms are gorgeous, comfortable and authentic. Some are big, some are small, but all are clean, comfy and safe. There is a range of rooms, great for families with children, great for couples or great for backpackers.

If you are thinking of having an event in Marrakesh, Sherazade is more than capable of pulling it off with more surprises, dedication and love than you would expect. We will certainly be back.

*Special thanks to Loubna M. S, who spent countless hours helping us, shopping with us and laughing with us. You now have a family in Australia and are welcome in our homes any time you like, Inshallah!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family