“Nice place right in the heart of the medina” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sherazade

Hotel Sherazade
Ranked #263 of 504 Hotels in Marrakech
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Nice place right in the heart of the medina”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We reserved our first night via internet from the US and had no problems having a room available for three people. All told it cost us 550 Dh with an en suite bathroom. We stayed two nights spaced a couple nights apart. The first room was on the ground floor but was a bit cramped BUT it was cool, dark and quiet. The second night we stayed was on the upper-most floor and it was a little bit warmer during the day with sunlight pouring in, but still quite tolerable and in general a more pleasant room with a bit more space. The terrace is wonderful. Some other folks complained about noise-levels but we heard nothing more than the call-to-prayer in the early morning hours. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

OK, so adjust yourself - you are looking at paying £35ish per night for a room here, in a Riad in the heart of an African city. Expecting a safe, bland Marriot, Holiday Inn, Ibis etc. type hotel? Book and pay for one of those then, not this beautiful Riad.

The general feel is one of ever so slightly faded glamour, this really appealed to us and we couldn't help but keep on poking round the public areas of this hotel, as well as trying to sneak a peek into as many rooms as possible! The pictures here barely do it justice, especially the roof terrace where you can take breakfast, sit and relax or just enjoy the all round views over the city and toward the Atlas Mountains.

We stayed in room 14, a good sized room with a large hard bed (perfect for me, not so much for the young lady) a small side sitting room, air conditioning as well as a small en suite bathroom. The room was clean, but perhaps could have been a little cleaner on really close inspection - but it's on the edge of a desert you know, so you might expect a little dust.

The Muzzein from the Mosque next door caused my eyes to open at 6am the first day, only to find I was still immersed in the cool darkness of our ground floor room. The next day I was barely conscious for the call to prayer and by the third morning I had no recollection of anything before 10am.

Perhaps a couple of things to consider; there are quite a few steps to some rooms - two flights up and down again for our room. The trip from the taxi drop off is only 3-4 minutes on foot, but through alien alleyways and with journey fatigue you probably are better off just paying a pound or two for a guide to take you - the hotel even gave us the 20 dirham tip for the guide (then adding it to the bill of course!).

Finally a real don't miss; the Dar Es-Salam restaurant is perhaps the most wonderful place I've ever dined (alcohol served too!) and is only three minutes stroll (turn left out of the hotel on Rue Riad Zitoun el-Kedim).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank roger b
Durham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I was so excited about this stay, as two guide books (Lonely Planet and Rough Guide) sing its praises, and the Tripadvisor reviews are great. I am SO disappointed. This was the start of our 9-day trip in Morocco, and it was a rough introduction!

We stayed in two rooms for three nights on our trip. Our first room (24) was ridden with bed bugs and the en-suite made the entire room reek like urine, even when you closed the door or opened the windows. I am extremely allergic to bed bugs, so the second I woke up and realized I had 12 lovely, swelling bites, we changed rooms. I mentioned it to the staff and they couldn't have cared less ( When I ran into a hotel in Rome a year ago that had them, they emptied the room and fumigated it). So I would HIGHLY AVOID ROOM 24 if you decide to stay here. We switched to another room on an upper floor and have no real complaints, but it was still the poorest room we had the entire trip (I guess second poorest after Room 24). It's pretty noisy since it's located on a busy pathway, but that's to be expected. The Riad itself is beautifully decorated and the rooftop terrace is just great. It's in a fanstastic location to visit the square and souks. Water in the showers was very hot, which was great. There was WiFi on the terrace, but not in our room. But after staying in various other places for the remainder of our trip, I find this one less than stellar.

Still, the next time I go to Marrakech I will be staying elsewhere. Had the staff showed even the slightest concern about a bed bug infestation, instead of the "yeah, we know and can't do anything about it" attitude I got, I might score this better. I feel really bad for anyone else staying in Room 24, or the other rooms that undoubtedly have bugs. Bed bugs aside, ff you look at some of the other reviews on TripAdvisor, it appears this perhaps former gem might be letting itself slip...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank kfeezy
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

I had one night in Marrakech and stayed here on the recommendation of some travelers I met on the train. It's a graceful and spotless riad with a terrace overlooking a tiled courtyard, just three minutes by foot from Djemaa el Fna. When I saw my room, I didn't want to leave: It was an inviting space decorated in rich colors and dominated by a comfortable king-size bed. I had a private bathroom furnished with indulgent (local I think) bath soaps and gels. Note: Not all rooms have private baths.
The only negatives I'd cite are these: (1) My fellow train passengers were disappointed when the hotel staff had given away their promised room. The clerk was not apologetic, and a bit defensive, but did give them a more expensive room at the lower price. (2) There's a mosque nearby (surprise! this is the medina!) and the muzzein sounded like he was living inside my brain at 6 a.m.
That said, I wish I could have stayed here longer. I would definitely be taking breaks from my wanderings to linger on the terrace and enjoy this lovely place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Sherazade twice during a 10-day trip to Morocco and loved it - by the end of the trip, we thought of it as our home away from home! The location is excellent, only a few minutes from Djemaa El Fna and its many foodstalls. Best of all, the hotel is a very charmingly renovated riad with lots of character and a terrific roof terrace for breakfasts. The rooms can be a little basic, but all are unique and nicely decorated, and a range of sizes and costs are available (i.e. twins and doubles, with and without private baths, etc). The whole hotel has a very comfortable and friendly feel, and we found the staff to be very helpful and welcoming. This is a great hotel and we'll be back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Tooting
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

My friend & I spent our last night in Morocco here after a very enjoyable week travelling around the country. We found the staff to be friendly, our twin room was fairly small but adequate for our needs (1 night before flying back to England the next morning) and the restaurant buffet breakfast was good value for 50dirhams each (£4). You could eat & drink as much as liked from a wide selection of sweet & savouries, coffee, tea & juice.

The twin room cost 230dh for the night (£18). It wasn't en-suite but the seperate bathroom facilities were clean & modern with a hot, powerful shower. The hotel decor was traditional Moroccan & the roof terrace offered great views over the city rooftops with the Jemma Al Fna (main square) in one direction & snow-capped Atlas Mountains in the other.

The hotel is in a great location only a couple of minutes of walk from the main square with the majority of the other historic sites a few minutes walk away. It is just off a narrow lane that has many small shops and a good cafe. It is next to a mosque & my friend said he heard the early morning call to prayer but I heard nothing. Perhaps it is worth considering the location of your room if you are a light sleeper. It is close to the airport bus stop which is useful if you are leaving the following day as we were.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for good, clean, no-frills accommodation in Marrakech.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed at this hotel/riad, as it was recommended by a friend. Having read reviews about staff not being very friendly or helpful, we found this was not the case!! Thank you Loubna and Dounia for all your help and advice regarding details on local transport. Thank you also, to Sayeed, for organising a taxi to the airport for us, at some unearthly hour of the day. He even, graciously carried our bags to the car!
Hotel Sherazade couldn't be in a better location, and because of this, we used it as a base for our travels! We went off to the mountains and came back to the Sherazade, then we went off to Essaouira, and came back to the Sherazade!!!!
It really is an oasis in the middle of the city...beautiful courtyards, lovely double rooftop terrace. Yes the Mosque is next door, but we just got used to it, after all it is a muslim country!!
We will definitely stay at this hotel/riad, when we visit Marrakech again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple