“Brilliant hotel”
Review of Agdal Hotel

Agdal Hotel
Ranked #445 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights, all the staff were friendly, hotel was very clean, rooms were spotless, air conditioning worked on hot and cold perfect, water was hot.
Breakfast was good but there wasn't much to choose from, you get what you pay for. Restaurant staff were all friendly and service was good. I have stayed in 4&5 star hotels in marrakech there isn't much difference besides what's on menu.
Room service was good they gave us clean towels everyday cleaned the room made beds. None of our belonging was ever touched.
Restaurants were all near by within 2 minutes walk away, gulieze was only 10 minutes walk away at slow pace...
I would go and stay in agdal hotel anytime and would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Zed1967

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I would not stay at this hotel again, it is the worst I have stayed in in Marrakech. It is basic, and I would like to say but adequate, but unfortunately, it isnt very clean or adequate at all, (apart from the reception area), the beds are very uncomfortable, and it is a nightmare if you need anything, loo roll, glasses, towels, lighting, (you know, unusual requirements) etc. We were told we were getting a double room as booked, we got a twin room, and they wouldnt move us to a double (though they had plenty available). Our room had 2 glasses in the bathroom as you would expect, but two people who came with us had none in their room. We asked at the restaurant for two glasses (they had several, and a whole stack of them on the side), after banging cupboards around, while I pointedly stared at the mass of glasses in front of the guy, he then said no, we havent got any. I pointed at the ones in front of him, and he said, no. That was that. Id have understood if the restaurant filled up and hundreds of glasses were used, but I didnt once see anyone eating in the restaurant. (If breakfast is anything to go by Im not surprised).
Breakfast - dont bother. Pancakes and eggs if they feel like not ignoring you while you patiently wait, and some warm cucumber and stale croissants. (I didnt get up for breakfast other than twice when I was truly starving).
The toilets in reception never had any loo roll, and if you asked for some they would say theyd do it, then not do it.
The pool was full, and I mean FULL, of dead flies. Im used to a few flies in the pool in the sun, but this was ridiculous...I was tempted to go and get the net myself and clean it as nobody else was doing it.
The towels (of 5 towels that they had to supply all the guests in the hotel) are filthy. Dont use them! All stained. Take your own towel if you insist on staying here.
Reception - Absolutely rubbish. You asked for assistance or help and they just laughed at you, or said that it wasnt possible. I asked them to call a number in Guilez for me and they refused, so I offered him my phone to do it, and said, look, I'll pay for it, just I cant speak arabic, and they said no again. (I only wanted a pizza delivery!) Every other hotel Ive been to, will call and sort it all for you, but even when I gave my phone, he still wouldnt. He also refused to give me the number from his directory book, so had to faff with the internet to get the number up on my phone.
On the last day I got them to book me a cab, and they confirmed the price. When the time came to leave the hotel, no cab had been booked, and the original guy had vanished. The replacement guy told me that no that price was impossible, and he got me one (called one of his mates) and it cost twice as much as they quoted me.
There is nothing for kids to do at this hotel, other than eating flies in the swimming pool, no good for the elderly as it is too far from anything for them to walk, not good for families, couples, erm...It isnt good for anybody. I love Marrakech, but this hotel really ruined my trip. Oh and the food places (a pizza place and a cafe on the corner) are local, yes, but avoid them - bad food, bad belly. Im used to the food in Marrakech, but these places made us all sick!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kickinchicken
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week from mid October. We picked this hotel because of it's price and the fact we thought it was close to the Jemaa-El-Fna (which we were sadly mistaken on as it is a good 30 minute walk for an average speed walker)

After hours delay due to our flight company we didn't get to the hotel till close to midnight where we were greeted by who we thought was the hotel manager, he was very lovely and gave us a pool room once we asked. We went up in the lifts (do not use if you have claustrophobia) The larger lift is rather slow, you could go up and down in the other lifts before that one had even reached the 1st floor! We then walked down a very dark corridor with no lighting (you have the turn the lights on yourself and they turn back off after about 5 minutes)

While in our room we could hear an alarm going off, we though it was a car alarm and was hoping it wouldn't be this noisy for the rest of the week, being very hungry we went for a walk, on our way down the stairs we noticed the noise was the lift, we banged on the door and shouted if someone was stuck inside with a reply for a scared woman shouting for help. I ran down to tell reception to be told "I know" he then started swearing in French on the phone to someone. Once back in the hotel we used the toilet to be greeted by a loud humming sound, at first we didn't put two and two together and thought it was someone playing a trumpet, it wasn't till the 2nd day that we knew it was the toilet.

The next day we were rudely woken up around 6am by birds on our balcony doing their mating sounds, it was covered in bird poo, feathers and everyday dirt.

Breakfast isn't worth waking up for, it was rock hard 'pancakes' with stale bread that I wouldn't feed to a dog. We went to have lunch at the hotel and whatever we asked for wasn't in stock so we settled for a spaghetti bolognese which had no meat in even though it cost us 40dh they also charged us 15dh for water which you can get in the local supermarket for 5dh.
Dinner wasn't any better, everything is in French and the staff do not speak much English. I used a translator app and because the hotel had spelt things incorrectly it wasn't giving us the correct food. You never get a full meal. Their chicken tagine was just one piece of chicken with 20 olives and what felt like 1L of oil. We had to ask for rice which was cold and we all had to share. The Tagine is the only thing that is hot in the whole hotel, nothing else was ever heated. I work in the hospitality industry and know if this was in the UK they would have been shut down.

They change their prices daily, we got charged 12, 11, 12.50 dh all for the same coffee depending on the man's mood and I'm guessing if he hasn't got enough tips that day! He even charged me 22DH and when I realised he called me a liar saying he didn't short change me. Lucky for me a different member of staff gave me my 10dh back.

The room was pretty spacious for two people but we had no air con all week, I asked for a remote and the man wanted to come turn it on and take the remote back so we couldn't turn it on or off. The bathroom had limescale and we went a few hours without any water in the whole hotel! There after all you got from the cold water tap was loud air noises.

The pool was full of flies, wasps and moths, some alive, some not. There wasn't enough loungers for a full hotel but lucky for us it was pretty empty, the loungers were dirty and smelly and were in need of some cleaning. The umbrellas were too heavy for even most men to be able to move.

I wouldn't say this hotel is horrid but you do get what you pay for, I'd advice that you pay a little bit more and get a nicer hotel, I just don't think Marrakech is the place to go 3*.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room and for air con remote if there isn't one in your room Bring a English...
1  Thank PartyIslandGirl
Reviewed October 30, 2013

i stayed in this flea pit recently but never again - barely rates as a one star hovel - the whole place is filthy dirty esp the floors - somebody got stuck in the lift on the first night - bed sheets were not changed all week - there was a black mark on my bed sheet which moved around a couple of times where it got turned over by the cleaners - but the only time it was changed and the room was cleaned was as we were about to check out - the cleaners were expecting a tip - and like everybody else in the place they were hanging about waiting for a tip and trying to make us feel guilty
the food was atrocious - as was the staff - we were expected to tip for service we never got - meals were cold, inedible, and often just half a meal - once i received three squares of meat in a tagine with eight prunes - another time i got a piece of chicken and that was it - we had to ask for rice to accompany the meal and were expected to tip for the privilage - one of the waiters has to be the most miserable man in marrakech
toilet was filthy really - the shower was situated so that it sprayed the wall and not the person - you could easily trip over a bidet which was stuck out of the bath - me and my son got a double bed so we had to go begging for a single bed - our friends had no air con all week - their room was like a sauna with 104 temps outside - pigeons roost on the balconies - nowhere really to put clothes - we got one coat hanger between two of us
at least pool side rooms don`t stink of the heavy road traffic outside the hotel - however the consierge areas did often smell bad of the pollution outside
the pool was full of wasps moths and flies - there was around five or six sun loungers between all 140 rooms but luckily the place was empty and was like a morgue - i wonder why

Room Tip: ask for pool side rooms - le chamber d` piscine
2  Thank Andy W
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed at the Agdal for 7 nights from the 15th October.Arrived after midnight there was nowhere to get drink or food.No drinking water in rooms.

ROOMS
We had 2 rooms on the 4th floor.Rooms were very basic,only 1 of the rooms had a/c for the whole week.Rooms were very basic and very well worn and dated they are in desperate need of a complete refurb.Bathroom needs a good scrub it is full of dirt and limescale.Towels had big holes in them lucky we had brought our own.Toilet had flushing problems all week that was not fixed.

Staff
Elderly gentlemen on the reception is very nice and manages to speak enough english to be understood.But keeps trying to sell you excursions.Restaurant manager and his staff are rude and ignorant unless you keep tipping them all the time.

POOL
Nice size,clean but full of dead flies and wasps.It is a total sun trap.

Breakfast tough pancakes and pastries.Tea or coffee.
Dinner is a set menu Tagine Tagine and more Tagine served with either prunes or olives.Meals are always served warm nothing is hot,they will not heat it up for you.Vegetable soup has no veg in it not 1 bit looks more like luke warm water.Chefs special gateau was infact a bite size chocolate eclair.Waiters are very rude.Menu is in french only.

Hotel charges 15 dirhams for a bottle of water and 12 dirhams for a can of coke,across the road at the supermarket same bottle of water is 5 dirhams and a litre of coke is 7.

Hotel is about 30 minutes walk from the medina and about 10 minutes to the plaza main shopping area.There is a train station 10 minutes walk away.Buses stop at the end of the road.

I would never stay again at the Agdal.It was very disappointing. The hotel bar was not open throughout our stay and hadn't been for months.

Room Tip: Rooms facing pool are more quite but there is a locals club in side street that gets noisy till earl...
1  Thank londongirl042
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Located around 25-30 walking minutes from central Marrakech, it would have been good to also enjoy staying at the Agdal....but the fabric of the building is tired, the facilities basic, breakfasts simple and lacking stunningly fresh bread/pastries. Using the bath/shower meant negotiating the obstacle course of an ill-sited bidet and close use of mirrors was similarly obstructed. Plumbing fittings were falling apart - much investment seemed necessary to address these many issues.
Thankfully our air-conditioning unit worked and helped drown noise from the night-club opposite.
Overall under-whelmed by this hotel....there must be better places.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smsfirecracker
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed for four nights with two girlfriends as we wanted to visit the medina and we were mostly guided here by price. Overall the first impressions were that the hotel was a bit dated, but clean. The staff are kind and helpful. The shower in the room was lovely and almost always piping hot (wonderful for a group of girls) downside is that though the housekeeping staff would tidy the room they never changed the bed sheets and never gave us clean towels which was a bit gross.
The breakfasts were minimal but the coffee was delicious & the pastries seemed fresh and were yummy.
Overall, you get what you pay for. Cheap, yes, but if you want gourmet food & top notch facilities go to a 4/5 star hotel simple.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms have nice little balconies & seem quieter