“Hands-down the most wonderful hotel stay I've ever had”
Review of Riad Malika

Riad Malika
Ranked #94 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
New York City, New York
“Hands-down the most wonderful hotel stay I've ever had”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This review is just going to be a love letter to Riad Malika. I just couldn't even believe this place, and I've stayed at some world-class hotels. What an incredibly stunning property. What an unbelievable room. What lovely, personal service. Oh my. I may be ruined for life. Perhaps readers of this review should look at the photos attached to my review in order to make their decisions- the pictures say it all. I have never seen such a unique, lovingly decorated, stylistically beautiful place, not to mention that the room, which was rather a bargain, was considerably larger than my two-bedroom Manhattan apartment. True story. When the attendant led us into our rooms, I thought we were being led into a lobby/public seating area. Turns out, it was our private sitting area! It was really that massive, and the sort of beautiful most hotels reserve for public spaces. I hardly wanted to leave the room to tour Marrakesh, I was so enthralled. If you're not convinced yet, here are a few more details:

The room: we reserved a suite, and as I mentioned, it was massive. It was decorated in a truly sui generis fashion, with marvelous art deco furniture fused with Moroccan details. One wall was all stained-glass windows, which threw beautiful light all over the room in the morning and the evening and every time in between. The bathrooms were also beautiful- yes, the room had two bathrooms- beautiful tilework everywhere, soft, fluffy robes, modern details. Everything was quirky, thoughtful, and beautiful. The room was also spotless and promptly cleaned at whatever time we elected to leave. The grounds are lovely too, quiet and peaceful, and there's a small pool with an "endless swim" function in it that is just perfect (and maintained at an *ideal* temperature.)

We didn't eat dinner at the Riad but if we'd had more time I would have loved to. Every evening there would be one couple, perhaps two, enjoying a quiet meal by the burbling fountain in the courtyard, to the tune of jazz that has been clearly selected by someone who knows something about the subject. We did enjoy some wonderful breakfasts, though- every day there is something new and special, one day a Moroccan doughnut, another day special pancakes, and everything is prepared with a bit of flair- a hint of grated orange orange peel in the crépes, house-made yogurt that is nothing short of perfection.

I would also like to take a second to thank the Riad for the top-notch service. We interacted primarily with Afid and Rajesh (I probably butchered those spellings), who were incredibly kind and helpful in attending to all our needs- from reservations to directions to general advice about our stay. They made our arrival and departure incredibly smooth sailing, helpful down to the last moment. We actually left something behind in the room and they called the person that was transferring us to the airport to inform him that we might want to come back!

Anyway, this place was a marvelous experience and my wonder at how thrilled I was by this hotel choice just never ended. Best place I'll ever stay, I'm quite sure. It's been a week and I still grin to myself when I think about how delighted I was with this property. So, Thanks, Riad Malika! What an unforgettable stay.

1 Thank neimanmarxist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Altea la Vieja, Comunidad Valenciana, Spain
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I booked a junior suite at Riad Malika in Marrakech to celebrate our ruby wedding anniversary. It is a wonderful riad with a beautiful inner courtyard where breakfast. lunch and dinner is served and is also the perfect spot to relax with a delicous iced mint tea after a day spent seeing all the wonderful sights Marrakech has to offer. Our suite was fabulous. The staff are very attentive and helpful. There are also roof terraces where you can relax and unwind. Breakfasts are plentiful and varied with a staple of pancakes. We ate in the restaurant twice and had lunch once and the food was excellent. All in all Riad Malika is great value. I highly recommend the Malika and hope we will be able to return again some time soon.

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A friend and I did a tour of Morocco last week and decided to spend an extra night at the end in this delightful riad for some R&R. I booked it based on the reviews and pictures on here. As soon as we had booked, the riad got in touch to confirm our dinner arrangements and offered us a map and telephone number in case we got lost trying to find them.

The riad is, like most Marrakech riads, difficult to find in the maze of the souk. We had done a guided tour of Marrakech the day before our visit and the guide helped us to find the riad, which did sort of help us find it the next day. If you aren't using their airport transfer, my advice would be to get a taxi to Restaurant Dar Marjana, turn left when facing the restaurant door, walk along the street until you reach a shop on your right that sells quad biking and camel treks, there is a small street opposite. The riad is up that street on the second right. The more difficult bit is getting from Dar Marjana to the Djema el Fna. One day we got lost in the souk, and the second day we got lost in the medina trying to find our way back, although this isn't the riad's fault at all and they did actually supply a map with routes to the riad from Djema el Fna on arrival which we clearly couldn't read :)

The riad itself is absolutely beautiful, with tasteful decor, a charming courtyard, a lovely terrace and a pool with a jet swim. We stayed in a junior suite which was very large and luxurious. Toiletries were nice, hot water was plentiful (we stayed in hotels that had none), and we had bathrobes in our room. The staff we met were very friendly and accommodating. We had breakfast and dinner in the courtyard and both the service and the food were sublime. Good choice of wines, spirits and teas too.

I absolutely recommend Riad Malika and will hopefully return again later this year because I loved both it and Morocco so much!

Room Tip: Pick a suite, it's worth the extra.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Heiloo
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were very happy to be staying at this lovely Riad, just around the corner of the souks. The calm atmosphere was very delightful after a day in the hectic city. And then the staf... We were touched by the loving and kind treatment at every moment of contact with each of them! They really made us feel at home. The food was great; from the six nights we stayed, we had four nights diner at te Riad. Just because of the good quality and of course the nice and calm ambiance. I would strongly recommend Malika to everyone who wants to have a peacefull stay in Marrakech! And next time when I'll be visiting this lovely city.... I know where I am staying!

Room Tip: We stayed in the junior suite, Which was very beautifull and had two floors and access to the roof t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Unlike so many starchy, pretentious, stiff alternatives, Malika is perfectly in keeping with it's surroundings in a residential street just off the souks. Faded it is, but deliberately, a little shabby but very chic indeed. We loved it. Get a suite, it is fabulous value.

• Stayed May 2013
Sheffield
Reviewed May 22, 2013

2 couples stayed here 3 nights. We booked the 2 suites as they were not much more than standard rooms. It was 120 euros/couple/night for B&B. We ate in one evening for about 20 euros. A very nice 3 course meal. Beers were about 3 euros. We did a hammam at 30 euros/pair which was a steam and a scrub with a masseur. Lasted about 45 minutes. The riad itself is in the souk area and has about 8 rooms facing onto a central courtyard or a deep swimming pool. The courtyard has many palms and bouganvillas giving shade - although most shade is from the surrounding walls - 3 storey. The owner only speaks French - if you try a small bit then all is fine. The staff - especially Abib - speak English. A roof terrace can be accessed by all, with private access from the suites.
We really liked the riad. It has all the hallmarks of slightly faded grandeur - some plaster in the courtyard peeling, top small windows in rooms a little dirty - but all very acceptable. Our rooms were huge with big bed, table and chairs, small balcony looking over courtyard, separate louge with satellite TV, ensuite (no shower in one of the suites - bath). No phone in rooms. Plenty of hot water with a good pressure. Lovely sheets and towels.
NB take ear plugs to block the call to prayer in the mosques in the early hours!

Room Tip: Go for a suite as not much more costly than standard. The one with access from ground floor from cou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

From the moment we stepped in through the huge front door, we felt relaxed. The owners and staff at the riad made us feel welcome and totally pampered. We stayed in the Royal suite, and it was enormous- we loved the huge remote controlled sky light! We drank wonderful mint tea, the breakfasts of pancakes (of several different varieties ), freshly squeezed orange juice, yoghurt, fresh fruit and coffee were delicious, and the 3 course meals we ate on 2 of the 4nights we stayed were gorgeous. Marrakech is a hectic city, but this felt like an oasis of calm in the middle of it all. Would definitely stay here again and would recommend to our friends.