“An Exotic delight”
Review of Riad Enija

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad Enija
Ranked #341 of 1,133 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“An Exotic delight”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I travelled to Marrakech, female and solo, and phoned Ursula at Riad Enija at 9pm Tuesday while on the train from Casablanca airport. They were block booked but very charming and offered to see me at 10.30am the following [Wednesday] morning. I stayed in a cheap but functional Riad that night, but didnt even use the shower at that establishment as i couldnt really see what might be lurking. From the moment i arrived at Riad Enija, collected by the owner in the square, i was treated as an honoured guest and seated in the gorgeous central courtyard filled with more trees and birds than my city has in its botanic gardens hothouse. I immediatly relaxed and was given tea, home made brownies and then a tour of the stunning and unique rooms by Latifa. I was told that I could take my pick as it was midweek. The subject of money was almost an aside, but in the arab fashion i left it to my potential hosts. I was graciously offered an excellent price for ANY room at the riad and chose 'Prince' on the upper floor for the the soft cool colors, claw foot bath/shower and private terrace which appealed. I had also spent the previous night in a ground floor room at the other Riad and wanted more privacy and coolness. I will not say how much [little] i paid at the time, except to say it was a super generous reduction, but would highly recommend any traveller going to, or arriving in Marrakech to make inquires midweek as this riad is block booked many weekends leaving a potential for excellent value midweek. In fact i was so spoiled in Riad Enija i was forced to take a 5* room in Seville on my way home so as not to ruin the good effect [and high standards]. It didnt quite match up.The owner Bjorn chatted to me and quickly 'we' :) organized an all day trip to the Atlas mountains, which was right up my street and i really enjoyed the motorbike ride through the medina to the tour car. I think i was the envy of the tourists there and i felt very 'local'. I loved buying Argan oil beauty and health products from the 'Feminine co-operative', supporting women and ecology, near the film locations for Gladiator and Babel to name a few. I spent my other days in the Riad sun bathing at 36 degrees+ on the terrace and then taking the private back stairs down to the fabulous roman style marble bathing pool on the ground leval where the cold made me gasp and then relax in the sun. I could happily have never left the riad but ventured out to the magical main square to enjoy the drums, crazy singing, and bustle of a real market. I informed Latifa that i would love to buy Saffron and spices but had no time to do their fabulous cooking course so she kindly lent me a staff member to bring me to a spice shop to get the real thing, not a poor copy, but without the need for a guide. She also sorted things out for me when i forgot to check in for my return ryanair flight, eek!, with such serenity i have taken more from Marrakech than wonderful spices and memories, soon to be repeated, inshallah. Fabulous!

Room Tip: I loved the upper floors as it feels more private whilst being only one floor up. However those with...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Lynda M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
Marrakech
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Riad Enija is an incredible location with a very generous owner. They are great supporters of the arts and donated a room to two featured artists of the Marrakech Biennale. We thank you greatly for your collaboration in helping make the 4th edition of the Biennale a great success and for providing a comfortable stay for our artists!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MkechBiennale
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My first trip to Marrakech was spend, courtesy of some marvellous friends, at Riad Enija. We were celebrating a special birthday and we were stunned by this p(a)lace. The service was exceptional, the welcome excellent. I find it hard to make a suggestion of improvement. The ladies had pampering sessions and I had the Moroccan cookery course in the Riad. Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful stay. Marrakech - wonderful, Riad Enija - very special.

Room Tip: We had a suite, so I would recommend a room with a terrace to overlook the city throughout the day...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank MichaelAlison
Milan, Italy
Reviewed April 4, 2011

it incredibly happened that a mobile phone was stolen in a room during breakfast !
we believe the theft was done by a staff member who came in the room for checking the shower.
the owners were ineffective in recovering it despite the local police involvement.
this is unfortunate but simply not acceptable in a top resort like this one.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank crespigianni
London
Reviewed November 14, 2010

After spending a week in the Sahara we arrived at the door of Riad Enija, dusty, worn and on guard having being raced through a alleyways by a stranger. We were greeted and taken through this amazing garden, upstairs and through this door to the most beautiful room you could not 'imagine' for yourself because there is nothing like it. As we arrived late we were told that they were serving dinner and after a much needed shower to descended the stairs though the garden with magical candles and orange aromas to be the only people to be served in this amazing dining room. The turn down service felt like fairies visited our room everytime we were out and the oils, fragrances that we provided in the bathroom made the experience all the more amazing. I doubt there is another hotel in the world that could be this decandent and certainly unparalled in luxury.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ShyraGem
San Ramon, California
Reviewed July 29, 2010

We stayed in two riads on our trip, and while Enija was objectively fairly nice, we enjoyed it quite a bit less than the other place which was 30% lower in price (if only we had started the trip here vs end it @ Enija). The overpriced and low-value feedback from others is farily consistent, the location is great (that and the photos are what motivated my wife to pick this one) and the service an ammenities are fine, the price and comparables are what bring the overall value down.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MAR10_B
Montevideo, Minnesota
Reviewed June 7, 2010

For almost 400€ a night you can find much better places anywhere in the world.

Nice riad, especially the spacious garden and quiet terraces, in need of a bit of refurbishment (and cleaning) and contrary to most reports very basic breakfast (baguette from the day before!).

Again if the price should (as it is seldom the case, unfortunately) reflect the quality it is clearly mispriced. Its popularity probably relies on old reviews of people who appreciate to pay up just for the sake of it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple