I've been in Morocco 3 times and this is one of the worst experiences ever!
We were 8 people. We asked for a room (where we could keep the luggage) and 8 places on the terrace, because we wanted to sleep outdoor and often this is possible in Morocco.
The man at the reception asked if two of us would have slept in the room and we said no. Of course we talked about the price, as always in Morocco, and we traded for what we asked. Usually on the terrace you can sleep on the sofa, or on a mattress on the floor, and this solution in cheaper.
On the terrace there were 8 places on some sofas, and we took them all, so we chose the most expensive solution.
Strangely, the man asked us to pay in advance and that's the first time this happened to me in Morocco: usually you pay the day you leave, since the host needs to prove he'll give you what you traded. We said it was strange, but we paid.
The last day in the afternoon, we saw there were two guys who put their luggage on the terrace and we asked them if they were going to sleep there in the night. They said yes. So we went at the reception to remind them we took all the 8 places on the sofas! They apologized and took them to another hotel.
A few hours later, when we went to sleep, a guy was sleeping on the terrace and there was no place enough for everyone. We went again to the reception to complain. After half an hour discussion, they gave us a mattress (that WE had to bring on the roof) to put of the floor.
The morning after we had to leave and we asked for a discount on the breakfast (that we still had to pay) for what happened the night before. They accused us that we changed our mind, that the night before we said "no problem" with the mattress, that we already had a discount when we paid (it's trade, not a discount, it's different), that the first day we said that two people would have slept in the room, that the terrace was open so they couldn't guarantee there were place on the sofa (then why did they apologize and send away those 2 guys in the afternoon?) and so on... They basically refused to give us a discount.
Now, I know Morocco traditions quite well and I know that:
1. not respecting a trade is a serious thing
2. both of the parts must be happy with the trade, and if something happens in between, everything must be fixed (for example with a discount)
3. lying is a bad thing for them (and that's what the guy did when he said that we asked for just 6 places on the roof, that the roof was open, etc...)
4. accusing someone of lying is really really bad, and they did it with us.
In Morocco they honor all this trade rules. This is the first time I see such a rude and disrespectful behavior.
I red some review talking about racist behavior. This doesn't surprise me, since during the discussion the man at the reception asked our nationalities. You should have seen his face!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Medina neighborhood in Marrakesh, 100 m from Palais de La Bahia, Riad Hôtel Essaouira features free WiFi throughout the property. Every room has a private bathroom equipped with a shower. You will find a 24-hour front desk at the property. The riad also provides car rental. Museum Dar Si Said is 201 m from Riad Hôtel Essaouira, and Cooking School is 300 m from the property. Menara Airport is 4 km away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Riad Hotel Essaouira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essaouira Hotel Marrakech
- Hotel Essaouira Marrakech