“bueatiful hotel”

Hotel Marrakech le Semiramis
Ranked #445 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Our rooms were double booked, so we were asked to stay at the tichka salam hotel opposite, the staff at kenzis were very helpful and couldnt have been any more helpful. They included lunch at kenzi hotel along with our booked dinner meals and were very thoughtful, 4 days into our holiday a conecting room became available and we were offered a place at the semiramis. good location £2.50 taxis to main square but the food was exceptional.
I have read many reviews about the food being "same every night" but it was plentiful, of good quality and fresh. Facilities good but pool was crowded as fully booked.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank teddywah
There are newer reviews for Hotel Marrakech le Semiramis

Reviewed June 24, 2010

DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS! I read them and took a chance (being terrified my holiday would be ruined) however it was much better than I expected.

My husband and I traveled here in May for a belated honeymoon. The hotel staff were lovely, always helping us out. We had exchanged rooms after the 1st night because we wanted a room with a balcony ... they were more than happy to help. Whatever time of day we required their assistance they were there...whether it be the maids, bellboy or manager, everyone was so pleasent. The spa is amazing, a bit pricey for my liking though...money not realy worth the duration. The room was massive and always kept clean by the maids.

The swmming pool was so beautiful, everyone sat around it and there was a sort of friendly atmosphere amongst holliday makers...there were water aerobic lessons for whoever wanted to take part.

A for travel, you should ALWAYS haggle, there is taxis infront of the hotel all the time. You will find yourself paying between 10-40 dihrams for a taxi. However the taxi drivers are always polite. There is also horse carriage rides which you should not pay more than 100 dihrams for (£10.00) but the price is wel worth it if you take a ride during the night.

Sights wise, make sure you go on an excursion to the mountains...it is beautiful! It takes up teh whole day but is well worth it. There are lots of markets and souks. The the old medina is beautifil during the evening. If you are not enjoying the food, then there is a restaurant called charlie chaplin near european market which is amazingly yummy and clean.

The only down side of our trip was that the food in the hotel was quite bland and expensive. We always got free chips with our meals howeverthe rest of the food was not nice. English is like a 3rd-4th language o take a french book with you. Except that, I would defnately visit this hotel again! It was the perfec honeymoon!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JayTou
Reviewed May 24, 2010

In general, the Kenzi Semiramis is a plesant and clean hotel. The one thing that sticks out though was how unhelpful and aloof the reception staff and spa staff were and I thought this really let the hotel down. The concierges, waiting staff and cleaning staff were all very pleasant. They obviously worked very hard and deserve to be tipped. We were among the very few English speaking guests (I was only aware of another family there at the time of my stay) and although I spoke French, the staff in general appeared to be far more attentive to the French guests.

I paid 250 dirhams for a hammam and gommage in the spa and I felt I was ripped off as the gommage lasted less than ten minutes so beware. On the plus side, the spa staff didn't charge me for the use of the gym (which according to the room rates should be 100 dirhams an hour).

There are always taxis outside the hotel and you should pay 30 dirhams to the new town and 50 dirhams to the square in a grand taxi. Always agree a price at the start of the journey. The hotel is not really within walking distance of the centre.

The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. The towels are changed daily.

The pool is lovely and the hotel provide towels for the loungers. The breakfast is good and there's as much as you can eat.

It's just a shame about the reception staff who didn't even bother to ask us if we had a pleasant stay when we checked out.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2010

We have just returned from the hotel and felt I needed to put our thoughts on Trip Advisor. We've used this site for a few years however it is our first contribution (as previous reviews of this hotel don't make sense). Right here goes. Firstly a couple of facts, when you go abroad to a Country that speaks a different language why should we expect them to speak English? Also just because you can't get a "fry up" or Frosties it doesn't make it 3 or 4 star. If you want a holiday abroad where they speak English and you can get an English Pub go to Majorca. This hotel and it's staff deliver a true experience and fantastic customer service. We have just come back from 10 nights half board, with our two young children age 7 and 8. Over 75% of the staff and guests speak French and English is a second or third language. My French is terrible however, with a £2 phrase book from the UK and giving it a go, we learned to speak it "sort of" after 10 days. The staff, guests love the fact that we were trying to learn their language instead of pointing and speaking slowly. A couple of staff who a need to mention for their excellent service at reception are Amina who is the conciege and Abdoulahim (apologies if spelt wrong) who changes the currency. I'm not a fan of palming your kids off to a kids club whilst on hols, however the one here is a fun,learning experience. Our daughter age 7 can now speak French and also how to make various items. The games (for free) like football and Volley ball really bring the guests together and we have already become friends on facebook with several people. Right a few things re cost, the hotel is 5 star, so expect very expensive drinks £2.50 for a small beer and coke £2 (but wouldn't it be the same cost or more in a 5 star hotel in England?). So if you like a drink buy some at duty free and have one before you come down for the evening meal. Also there is a petrol station about 150 metres from the hotel which you can get cheap soft drinks from and store in the minibar. We went half board, I'd try and get all inclusive, it must be worth atleast £20 per person per day. In summary this is a true 5 star hotel but not English speaking, however the French staff and guests are amazing. GO FOR IT! Oh forgot to mention Chez Ali booked by Amina for £30 an adult and £15 kid is well worth it!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank familyholsapril2010
Reviewed March 12, 2010

An attractive, elegant decor with a real Moroccan feel. Smelt of oils from the spa when you walked in. Greeted with sweet mint tea. Complimentary fruit basket and fresh roses where in my room. Room was not very big but was adequate. Room had a seperate toilet with bidet. Maids changed towels daily and presented us with a token; local made pot on departure. Very friendly accommodating staff who were eager to please. Brush up on your French because not everybody, especially in the Spa were able to speak English. Manager very helpful. We lost our camcorder and staff handed it in for us. If I was unable to communicate properly the manager insured we were fully understood and rang the local Sahara tours to confirm our taxi booking for us. YOU WILL BE TAXED NIGHTLY ON YOUR STAY SO TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT WHEN CHECKING OUT. We paid 282.00 dh for the 3 of us, for a 3 night stay. Food is not amazing................SORRY. Maybe I am spoilt but, in my opinion, the food was not 5 STAR, more like 3 STAR/3 STAR PLUS. Food is expensive in the hotel but all 5 star hotels are. You will pay double, compared to downtown. The spa was lovely and I enjoyed a very professional massage and facial. Gym was adequate, met my needs but do not expect David Lloyd standard.

I have stayed in better 5 star hotels but the hospitality; myself and my family received was second to none and because of this I must say they were excellent.

Taxi fares vary depending on your bartering skills. The better and clearer you barter the less you pay. You can expect to pay between 10dh and 80dh for the short journey from the hotel to the Medina, depending on the size of the taxi and whether it be daytime or night time. We never paid more than 30dh.

Not really a place for young children, not a lot for them to do, apart from the pool. Much more suitable for couples or families with older children.

Tipping is essential. It is expected in a subtle way. Keep plenty of small notes and 10dh coins for this purpose.

Would I pay to go back there.................probably not but if I were offered a FREE of charge stay there or won a competition to stay there................I would go.

Make of this what you will but all I can say is. "You get out what you put in".

I hope this is helpful and useful.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank fizzyjo
Reviewed March 10, 2010

me and my partner stayed at the hotel for nine nights. The hotel is beautiful and very peacful. we enjoyed our stay. The rooms are abit dated but apart from that the hotel is so relaxing even by the pool. We had a lovely room over looking the pool. The hotel is more for mature couple but very peacful at the same time the hotel staff are very polite and helpful. I would highly recomend this hotel.
Its in the nicer part of marrakech .

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2010

A very pleasant hotel for families. Excellent pool, sports resort, two restaurants and a piano bar made for plenty of activities for both kids and parents. The food was mostly unexciting, though.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business