“Just fine...”

Ranked #251 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
New York City, New York
“Just fine...”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This hotel was selected by Gate 1 travel as part of my tour.
On the plus side, we were greeted in our rooms with a welcoming plate of sweets and some fruit. The bed was nice and comfortable and the room had a small but pleasant balcony. Breakfast was very good; I love that they give you a pot of coffee right on each table. And the staff was very nice.
On the negative side, I was surprised to discover a moth in a freshly cleaned room. Not a big deal, just surprising. And the outward appearance of the hotel is far fancier than what it actually is- the lobby is huge, the courtyard with the pool is impressive, but the rooms are merely fine...
and mine had a broken shower attachment that had obviously been broken for quite some time. I found it a bit odd that they would continue to rent out a room without taking the time to make such a simple fix.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 11jennifer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cornwall
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Just returned from Kenzi Farah and was quite worried by the negative reviews before we arrived especially as two women travelling in Morocco for first time. The hotel was about right for the price - not 5 star by European standards but you aren't paying 5* prices! Rooms were clean and although a bit bland perfectly OK. Cleaned to a good standard every day and everything worked fine. Pool area and gardens are lovely and well kept. The staff on reception were not over-friendly but were responsive to requests. Two areas we noted could be improved:
1. There is very little information in the hotel rooms or in reception about the actual hotel and it's facilities or the local area which is surprising as most hotels have a wealth of leaflets/maps/local info. in the rooms and in reception. We are quite independent and had done much research before arriving but a bit of local info would enhance the holiday experience for most travellers.
2. More worryingly, we were in the block which had a fire exit which came out by the ping pong table. This was convenient for access to the pool and restaurants and was freely accessible with the door open for most of our stay. However, on our last night, the door was closed and could not be opened at all from inside which gave us serious concern if there should be an emergency evacuation. We tried to use this exit several times over 24 hours but the doors were firmly bolted from the outside it seemed....
Finally, the hotel is very convenient for the Medina and nearby restaurants/ATMs etc. To walk to the Medina in less than 15 minutes, exit the main entrance and turn left once and keep going to the main road. Turn left and keep going and you come to one of the entrances to the Medina.
To find ATMs and restaurants - exit hotel and turn left and then left again.
Taxis: agree the price before you get in! Got caught out twice - once the driver told us where we were going was closed for lunch and we found ourselves outside a nearby café to 'eat while we waited' - we didn't comply and then found out that that this was false information and the second time the drive insisted we had agreed 40 MAD not 30 and had mis-understood him. Most drivers however were very obliging and very helpful and informative. Also, the old trick of the chap sidling up to you as you wait to cross the road and say ' you remember me, I work at your hotel pool/bar/kitchen - I can show you the way' - walk confidently, cross the (very busy roads when the locals do) and smile and say 'no thanks' and you will be fine! Morocco was fantastic and a wonderful experience - can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: Pool view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank SGIL21
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Was surprised after travelling with easyjet holidays to find a 5* hotel at such a good price.

Unfortunately, this was not the case. We specifically asked for a room with high floor overlooking the pool, we arrive and our room is on the first floor overlooking the busy road. The room smelt of cigarette smoke and the air con was not working properly. Thankfully, the reception managed to move us to another room the next morning.

The most disappointing aspect with this hotel was probably the food and the fly's. I understand there are is a lot of food wastage in Marrakech and there are fly's everywhere, but the hotel complex was covered with them too. Wanting to relax by the pool, you couldn't, as you were constantly being surrounded by fly's whilst sunbathing. You would of thought the hotel realised this problem by spraying some sort of deterrent, but I think most people just accepted it.

The food was extremely disappointing. Every night they served pretty much the same dishes, there wasn't a lot to choose from unless you pay extra and eat at the hotels al a carte restaurant. Also, there is a 100 Dirham tourism tax per night, which reception did not mention to us upon check-in. It was only until we were checking out that they sprung this upon us.

One thing to be extremely careful about is the people of Marrakech. They will do everything they can to take your money. One local guide, working on behalf of the hotel, offered us a tour of the old town, 200 Dirham and no extra costs, only to find that the tours of the leather factory cost us 400 Dirham, and the local merchant also pressured us into giving him 50 Dirham for taking photos. Do not be persuaded into these types of things as they will only try and rip you off.

I would love to say that I enjoyed my stay in Marrakech, but my own opinion is that I would not return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maguire101

Travelers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have been there for a conference, so the price of the room had not been negotiated by me and I cannot comment on the value, but I can provide other useful pieces of information.
The location is convenient: it is not fare from the medina, and you can walk there, rather than taking a taxi, if you like.
The hotel encloses a large court, with pool, garden, trees. You hear birds singing, which is nice.
The other observations are less positive.
The rooms are altogether fine, but they lack any personality, any style that you may find in other hotels in Morocco.
The personnel at the reception seem unhappy to have to deal with you. Apart from charging your stay upon arrival - not just taking a record of your credit card, I have experienced the following conversations: "Q: Can I find some medicaments at the hotel, or is there a drugstore nearby? A: Yes there is one rather close. Q: Could you show me on a map where the drugstore is? A: No. Go to the hotel shop tomorrow morning and buy a map".
One or two days later, you managed to find a map, and this time you approach the reception with your map open and a question; the dialogue is so effective that only one sentence is exchanged and you are fully handled: "Q: Could you show me on the map where the souk de .... is located, approximately? A: Take a taxi."
Fortunately, other members of the personnel (the porters, for instance), seem to be more available and interested in your needs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My extended family and I (4 adults, 2 children under 10) stayed at the Kenzi Farah from 23/10 to 28/10. Having read the negative comments before, I was a little apprehensive to say the least, and probably should have read them before booking - you live and learn! We were very pleasantly surprised - from the greeting at reception, to the room size, the restaurant and bar staff and location. Within the first 10 minutes we had an issue with the room safe - a member of staff was with us within 5 minutes and it was sorted. The pool area and gardens are very well laid out with plenty of space. Food and drink can be taken around the pool without a problem. A walk to the main square takes just under 20 minutes and is well worth the trip. Taxis are always around if needed - average cost to the square would be approx. - 80 MAD (about £6.50) and to the airport 150MAD (£12 ISH) - this was for 6 people. We had lunch in the pool bar on 2 occasions, which was great (pizza/pasta etc) The bar in the bottom of the hotel is beautiful and relaxing with live music most nights. The only issue we had during our stay was the bill at the end. We had booked via Groupon (discount voucher offering various deals in the UK) Our deal included a 3 course evening meal on one of the nights. We chose to do this on the final night, took the voucher along with us to the (buffet) restaurant, to be told that it was the a la carte restaurant we needed, and the waiter walked us across to the correct one. In the morning, when it came to settle the bill, the total cost of the meal had been added to the room. It was explained to me that drinks and the 2 meals for the children were not included in the deal, which was fine, and I agreed to pay for those. Instead, they took off the cost of the childrens meals and drinks and wanted me to pay for the 4 adult meals as we had gone into the wrong restaurant! I explained that it was actually one of their waiters who had told us to go to the wrong restaurant. Long story short, it was sorted but only after a 45 minute discussion at reception in the morning. My advice would be to pay for meals and drinks in cash there and then, and avoid putting anything on your room to avoid confusion. The manager in fairness did come out twice during this and finally sorted it. There has been a recent change in management, and it would appear this has had a big impact on the service levels in the hotel as I certainly didn't see anything to warrant some of the previous adverse comments - depends on the staff on the day I guess!! Hope this helps!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LEESEVIOUR72
Bedford
Reviewed October 23, 2013

(note: in the spirit of fair play I first sent this review to the Manager asking for his comments. These have now been received and should be appended after this review)

There is little to criticise here. Large bedrooms, comfortable beds with crisp white covers
and sheets. Scrupulously clean, acres of wardroom space. Fridge (but no tea-making facilities) flat screen TV (with 4 English language news channels), plenty of spare electrical sockets, quiet air-con, nice bathrooms with showers that work well and separate WC room (which I prefer) all this plus free Wi-Fi.

One or two niggles. Teaspoons (believe it or not) seem to be a treasured item in the restaurant
and have to be asked for to have a yoghurt or stir your tea. This became a standing joke and is weird for a high-star rated hotel. Bar staff are good with the exception of one jobsworth in the pool bar (fawn shirt with a name badge) who should remember that we are his living and to treat clients (even Brits) with respect.

The Kenzi Farah is well positioned for the town (20 minute walk to the souks: Left out hotel, then next left then stay straight passing through the gardens of the traffic-free Royal Mansour) But, be warned, travel on foot is hazardous due to the wide boulevards that have NO traffic islands where you can find yourself stranded in the middle of a maelstrom of cars, motor bikes, buses, cycles and horse drawn carriages – it is a nightmare. Best to use one of the taxis opposite the hotel – but be specific as to where you want to go, otherwise you’ll end up outside the driver’s friends restaurant. The souks are magnificent spoilt only by the motor bikes dodging pass you.

The food is varied and excellent, the staff (maids, porters, maintenance men and bar staff for the most part) cheerful and attentive. Add an attractive large Z-shaped pool set in attractive gardens and even the most critical will find it difficult to complain and yet ……….

The quality of a hotel depends on the attention given to it’s guests, especially if things go wrong.
Generally I found the staff in Reception pretty indifferent and slow to react to problems – maybe because their language is French (as it is for the majority of guests) On the fourth day of my stay I picked up a bug (I don’t blame the hotel for this) and retired at 6pm that night. Just after 9am the next morning I was dozing when there was a large ‘whoosh’ of noise and my room was flooded with an ammonia-like choking gas that stung the eyes, nose and throat. I switched off the air-con from the vents of which it had come, opened the window and recovered my breath. I then phoned down to Reception who said they would do something but nothing happened. After 15 minutes I got dressed and groggily went down in person. They denied receiving a call and seemed unable to comprehend what I was on about but promised action. Ten minutes later a young repairman arrived (I was sitting on the floor outside the room). He immediately phoned down to Reception to say the room was uninhabitable and I had to be moved. Which I was. My complaint thereafter was the lack of concern as to how I was. Apparently the assistant manager had twice tried my new room but I wasn’t in, so gave up. A note passed under the door would have been nice. The next day I tracked down the Manager who apologised and promised an investigation and to let me know what the problem was.
Meanwhile, my friend staying in another room, got back in the evening to find the air-con belting out HOT air. She went down to the speak to the assistant-manager who told her that they switch off the air-con in the evenings! A blatant and stupid lie! She demanded (and got) a transfer to another room where the air-con was working perfectly. Another PR disaster…..

Nothing more was heard until I checked out and found they had charged me for two bottle of mineral water taken from the mini-bar after the incident.
Petty is not the word! In the end I got this and another item refunded plus a free drink while we awaited the taxi.

The welfare of the client is am essential PR skill at any hotel. This was poor and that’s why it gets a low rating from me, otherwise it would have been very complimentary.

The hotel's reply:

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your mail and I apology to have taken so long to reply.

I took your comments as a school case since your points were well described and clear. Thank you for that.

I can only apology for the accident in your room and the other points. In fact I understood that our lack of service is really into the follow up of guest complains and make sure things are done.

Since I am still new here, we already took some action and we are developing our guest tracking by developing some new positions orientated to guests and will install in the next few weeks new processes to have the informations going up to the management for a better follow up.

Thank you for your sentence "The quality of a hotel depends on the attention given to it’s guests, especially if things go wrong". Without your permission I already displayed it in our team's entrance and It will be soon (I would like to say… it is) our main adage.

We started also to display all our comments from Tripadvisor and others to let our teams know about the good points and the bad ones.

From next week we set up new themes buffet every nights with a very special event on Fridays, a "Moroccan Market" buffet and our breakfast is already reviewed.

The good point is we have a nice product (garden, location, etc etc) and our team are willing to please our guests. They just need help.

Once more thank you for your comment and help.

Warm regards and look forward to receive you once more in our hotel.

Xavier ARNOUX

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank RicketyBedford
london
Reviewed October 16, 2013

before i booked this hotel i was hesitating due to some negative reviews about the hotel and the staff, i gave it a go and book for myself and my friends . when i arrived i was impressed by the reception staff .and the concierge who carry all our luggage . check in was very smooth with welcoming words , the staff went all the way with us to our room and wish us a good stay , my room had swimming pool view ,it was really great view , the beds are extremelly comfortable with good quality egeptian cotton cover. the tv brand you plasma samsung ,the bathroom spotedly clean with good quality soap andshower gel and shampi am oo.
the lobby was very spacious and elegant with big comfortable sofa .
i lobe the bar down stair with live jazz music and songs ,brilliant and classy time
The buffet breakfast and dinner too much variety to choose , with great desert many variety of cheese cakes fruit cakes fresh fruits and more .
The swimming pool and the garden were a highlight of this hotel , an oisis on it s own i really enjoy swimming at night in the pool with the beautiful romantic lights ,the turquoise colors were beautiful and the palm trees on the top , magic. i am so shocked to read bad reviews about this good hotel in the middle of havernage area in marrakech 20 minutes walk to the old city and jemaa lafna square. dont listen to any of this crap reviews ,and try for yourself ,
plaese be aware that there is a citytax which have to be paid about 2.70£ a night . which many people start silly argument about it and blame staff to be rude, i saw one sad case in front of me .diffenately going back next time

Room Tip: the hotel is 15mn walk to the train station, 20 minutes walk to the old city and 15 minutes walk to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends