“Watch out!!! Staf is full of tricks to get your money”
Review of Hotel Kenzi Farah

Hotel Kenzi Farah
Ranked #247 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Well, they will start saying on the restaurant that the dinner is included. So you will get the bill to sign with 2 buffets, zero dirhams and whatever you drink. On the following days depending on the waiter that has part of the business you may get the deal again or not. When checking out, surprise, watch his, you will pay the drinks and food and when you donIt the front desk guy will bring all the invoices from the restaurant saying you should pay for the first dinner because it says " 2 buffets - zero dirhams " and it should e 200 dirhams each. No matter what you say he will force you to pay and no receipt is given. In other words, he wi keep the money. Ok, also this is not a 5 start hotel not in Marrakech not in the moon, rooms are old, staf works all night in the garden making noises and listening to Arab music on their cellphones. Food is ok but no variety. Lots of business man on the hotel which is good but hotel wise it's not worth the price. And of course, with that kind of people trying to rob you with those tricks I would never suggest anyone to stay here , period.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank PilikaiHawaii
There are newer reviews for Hotel Kenzi Farah

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed at the Kenzi Farah from 12/9/12 - 21/9/12 and would recommend it to anyone. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis which was great with plenty on offer on the menu for all tastes. Tried room service a couple of times and was impressed with this also.
My advice would be to brush up on your French before coming as it will get you better service and respect from the locals although a bit of Arabic also goes a long way too.
Prices for drinks a little high both at the hotel and out and about but the weather more than makes up for that. All in all a great, comfortable stay.
You have to go into the Medina at night........ Mad !!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mark_Gregs
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I am not sure whether people are getting paid to write bad reviews or are reviewing the wrong hotel!

The Kenzi Farah on Kennedy Avenue is rated a 5 star but even by UK standards it is definitely a 4. If people are expecting a true 5 then they should book the Hiltons and Sheritons of this world. This is Africa people!

We stayed from 12 to 21 September and I wont bore you with our wonders and woes but here is a summary:-

PROs
Hotel is clean
Pool area is clean
Free nice quality pool mattresses and towels which you can use on the beds or the gardens
Free soap (3 different kinds), shampoo and bath/shower gel - always replenished even if you dont use your daily dose
Mini bar fridge - which we used for our own use with no problems
Cracking breakfast selection - if you moan or starve on the options here then I do not know what you eat - cereals, fruit, bread, croissants, salad, morrocan soup, potatoes, sausage, grilled tomoatoes, toast, marmalade, yoghurt, egg station and pancake station. Juice, coffee, tea, mint tea, blender for your own fruit and veg concoctions
Rooms cleaned daily
We never had a problem bringings snacks, water, pop, alcochol, macdonalds in - just be discreet (maybe water and alcohol in rucksack) and you will be fine.

CONS
Reception staff are frontline and are seemingly a little rude and uninterested
Prices at bar and restaurants is a little pricey compare to restaurants around the corner
1.5 litre of cold water is 35DHM - it is 3.5DHM in shop!

General Tips
Basic French or Arabic is handy and much appreciated. A Stern LA to anyone who hassles you outside the hotel is respectful and enough
Taxis never ripped us off - no-one ever ripped us off.
Dust will appear in your room even if cleaned daily - you are in Africa
Nature may appear in your room - this is Africa - we had a teeny adopted lizard! :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank smeeajt
Reviewed September 20, 2012

this hotel has a beautiful pool, gardens and other common areas, but the rooms leave a bit to be desired. Upon check in, I had no television remote, and my balcony door could not be opened. both were promptly fixed, but my room phone did not work for the duration of my stay. The staff seemed spread a bit thin, as it is a large hotel, but several members of the desk staff were particularly helpful in resolving issues.
I would not choose to stay there again, but I've certainly stayed in worse. And in Marrakech, you really want to be doing a lot more than hanging out in your room.

Room Tip: I can't really advise which room to choose, but if you have a problem inside your room, do speak...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dottydesi214
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here as part of a tour group. The pool and breakfast area are very, very nice. Location is also good. However, the rooms are a bit dated and service was inconsistent at the front desk. It's definitely not as bad as some of the previous reviews. The rooms are just worn and bed is not comfortable. The pool area gets a big thumbs up. Overall, there are probably other places in Marrkech for a similar price that might be worth checking out.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor away from the road.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank chicagoMLM
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have given this hotel one star, only because there is no option to award no stars at all. Staying in this absolute dump has been up there with the worst experiences of my life...While I realise this may sould a bit extreme I can assure you I am not exagerrating at all. The fact this run down, dirty, dump, full of the rudest people I have even had the misfortune to encounter calls itself a 5 star hotel would be laughable if it wasn't so upsetting for those that end up booking and staying here.

The rooms are filthy, and I have evidence of thick dirt taken using my iphone camera, there are ants all over the floor in the bathroom and our sheets were not changed for the entire duration of our stay! (forget using the doorsign asking the maids to either clean or stay out of your room, they come in and out at will all through the day regardless, though I can't think why because they certainly aren't cleaning...perhaps this is why so many of the 'safes' don't work!) The air conditioner doesn't work properly, which in summer makes it unbearable, the fridge doesn't work, and you have to pay for the use of the safe...which we tried to do only to find that the safe in our room was broken too. shock.

The staff on reception are not merely unfriendly, they are downright rude, sometimes bordering on aggressive - especially towards women I have to say. It became so intimidating and tiring to try and talk to them in the end that we just gave up and sought solace in a nicer hotel through the days.

We ate breakfast on the first day, which seemed okay until we noticed that the same food (including listeria harbouring cold meats, soft cheeses etc) had been left out in the sun from 6.30am until 10.30am and quite a lot of it was covered in flies!I genuinely feel that we were lucky not to have had severe food poisoning from this. I am aware that several people staying in the hotel during this time were not so lucky. We attempted to buy out own breakfast from a supermarket (no foods which need to be refrigerated obviously as the one in the room doesn't work remember!) but we were stopped from bringing any outside produce into the hotel, including water! This really is a travesty seeing as they charge at least ten times the going rate for a litre of water.

It really felt like there was no escape here at all, It was a constant battle just to get through the day here. Even the pool area was pretty grim. Firstly you need to get up and down by the pool at around 7am to reserve sunbed if you want one...whether or not you are an actual paying guest at the hotel doesn't seem to matter, local families just turn up and use the facilities with no intereference from the staff. the pool itself was difficult to use as it was jam packed each day from about 8am to 7pm with Moroccan children, and I mean jam packed to the point of being not only extremely unpleasant but also unsafe. The towels they give out are clearly dirty and the smell is enough to turn even the most iron of stomachs!

I really could go on the talk about the monotomous evening entertainment, the room service that takes two hours and is then incorrect and overcharged, and the lifts that don't work, but I'm already feeling depressed enough after having to relive this horrendous experience. I only hope that this is enough to put you off booking this hotel. You will regret it if you do.

Oh and lastly I should warn you that we actually witnessed staff writing their own positive reviews for the hotel on trip advisor while we were there to counteract all of the negative ones, You should be extremely wary of positive reviews about this hotel.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I wanted to be just outside the city walled area. I wanted safety, space, swimming pool, air conditioning, a little taste of home in my hotel.. .but not far to walk. This was perfect.
This hotel was 10 mins walk through lovely streets and gardens to the city wall, and then 5 mins down the main road to the main square... it was easy and safe. But most importantly... once inside the hotel... it was quiet, gardens, relaxing swimming pool and no body hassling you. the best of both worlds. I am a female on my own and didn't want the hassle of feel un safe. This was perfect.

Room Tip: I bet all the rooms here are great. Mine had a balcony looking over the pool and gardens, so the roo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo