“Gave me salmonella food poisoning. DO NOT STAY” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Es Saadi Gardens & Resort

Es Saadi Gardens & Resort
Ranked #120 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Gave me salmonella food poisoning. DO NOT STAY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I think the title says a lot, but unfortunately this wasn't our only complaint of the holiday. If you don't have time to read the epic tale below, in a nutshell avoid this hotel like the plague.

My husband and I recently stayed at the Es Saadi Hotel and Gardens resort – 1st March 2014 – 8th March 2014.

Whilst at the hotel, we ordered breakfast in our room on the morning of 4th March as this was part of the amended service whilst they were undertaking repairs to the hotel dining areas. Our breakfast arrived and unfortunately my husband wasn’t feeling too well, so I ate two portions of the scrambled egg we were delivered. 3-4 hours later I began to suffer with cramps and diarrhea and had to spend the rest of the evening in bed. I couldn’t eat food so went to bed without any dinner. I deteriorated throughout the night and woke up the next morning feeling weak and feverish.

Not knowing quite what was wrong, and assuming I’d had a bit of the local water by accident which had given me an upset stomach, we ventured down to breakfast the next morning before heading into the Medina to look at some sights. Once in the Medina, I suddenly came over extremely ill, causing much embarrassment and we had to fly home in a taxi. I spent that evening shaking with fever all afternoon and evening, couldn’t eat, had a pounding headache and serious sickness. My husband was too worried to leave me to get some dinner, so he had to order room service and eat alone. In the morning, I was worse and now extremely dehydrated. I asked my husband to go to the pharmacy to get me something to help me rehydrate I was from losing so much water and nutrients. On his way down he mentioned his frustration and concern to the front desk who confirmed they had a doctor on sight who they sent up to our room.

The doctor visited my on Thursday 6th March at around 11am. He confirmed that I had severe food poisoning and put me on a course of antibiotics and 4 other tablets that I had to take 2-3 times a day for 5 days. He also said that I should try and eat something and that I would be ok to eat bread, rice, soup or plain vegetables. I stuck to this strict diet, but it took me another 48 hours before my body would hold down food longer than 30 minutes. It was exhausting, agonising and extremely unpleasant for both myself and my husband. It stopped us being able to go anywhere, as I needed to be by a toilet all the time and was so weak from the fever and poisoning. It wasn’t until Saturday 8th March, the day we had to fly home, that I began to feel any better. I lost 5 days of my 7 day holiday.

All of the food we had delivered to our room (because my husband had to eat room service for 4 nights as I was too ill to be left alone) was cold. Appalling.

Had we not had this awful experience, I would have been inclined to let the other complaints slip, but as they already ruined my holiday for this year, I will elaborate that we were not told about the renovations they were doing at the hotel. It meant that 2 of the restaurants were out of service, we had to walk across to the Es Saadi Palace every morning for breakfast where it was over crowded and frankly unpleasant to try and fight the crowds to get some food. Furthermore, we had to listen to drilling and banging all day. We were excited to have been given a pool-view apartment, as they make it clear that this is the better level of room. Well, not when you’re then overlooking the renovations. I had to spend 4 days in bed in my room – and listen to the sound of renovations all day! Disgusting. What’s worse is that they didn’t inform us before we booked or travelled that they were undergoing renovations. Guests should have been notified and compensated, yet we were only told when we were checking in, giving us no option but to accept the situation.

If that wasn’t enough, we also had to then contend with the sound of the club at the Casino all night through to 5am – whenever the door was opened to let people in or out, all we could hear was the bass resounding through the complex. So renovations all day, club music all night. Es Saadi hotel is NOT cheap to stay in or to eat and drink in – and for that price I am appalled at what we had to put up with. The icing on the cake was the room service. As I spent so much time in the room, I got to experience just how many people and how many times the chambermaids come in and out of the room. Even up to 8pm at night when people were knocking on the door to give us towels. I once counted 15 times in one day. This is just unacceptable. Although most people would not be in their room all day, so would not be privy to this happening, I was because the hotel gave me food poisoning. We had to leave our ‘do not disturb’ sign on all day in the end just to get some peace and quiet.

What more can I say. Awful, awful awful hotel.

I wrote and sent a letter of complaint, called and sent emails - no response. Sounds like a major case of guilt to me, no?

Room Tip: Just don't stay here!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Raïk B, Directeur général at Es Saadi Gardens & Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Miss Van der Zant

I would first like to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Es Saadi Hotel & Gardens. The quality of service that our clients are entitled to expect an institution like ours is at the center of our concerns and we try every day to improve ourselves in this area.
The Es Saadi Hotel is a landmark and hosts since its inception in 1966 international quality customer. The largest of the world have taken up residence and the stars of world stay there every year with renewed pleasure. We are very proud of all of our customers, which is unique, in the image of our hotel.
I was most distressed to hear, however, of the various incidents which upset your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. I fully comprehend your anger.
I would like however to take a moment to clarify a few of the statements regarding the above mentioned review. The sanitation and cleanliness of both our food preparation and presentation is of the utmost importance to us. We follow very strict guidelines and have always implemented policies and procedures to maintain our excellent standards of practice. While you stated with us, you unfortunately had fallen ill during your vacation, what fails to be mentioned is that you could have been poison with something else coming from outside as you hade fallen ill on the 4th after breakfast. As stated within your review, whether being in Marrakech or anywhere else, if you deemed this to be food poisoning, surely this would have been considered a medical emergency.
We promise high standards of food quality and with regards to the scrambled egg, in order to ensure the freshness, quality and hygiene, eggs served at our buffet spread and Room Service are delivered on a daily basis, All eggs are fresh. Leftover food are thrown and never recycled to the next day.
You may be delighted to know that we gone through strict food handling and cleanliness by the Menara company (Department of Hygiene & assistance) every month and therefore our Breakfast is estimated at nearly 200/300 persons per day.
As we are a service oriented business, listening to each of our guests’ comments is certainly of extreme importance to us.
As we do not utilize a standard copy and paste response to our reviews, we simply state the many reasons that one may fall ill when traveling abroad. I do hope that you are feeling better and I sincerely welcome you in a better frame during your next stay in Marrakech. I can assure you that all teams Es Saadi Gardens & Resort will make every effort to accommodate you in the best conditions.

In this perspective, I beg you to accept, Miss, the assurance of my cordial greetings.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Food and pool are good, especially breakfast, but service in the restaurant was a bit slapdash. Room was adequate but very difficult to sleep because of constant traffic noise, plus thumping bass notes from a disco till 4am on Saturday night. Not my idea of a 5* hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear lilymermaid,

First of all,thank you very much for taking the time to post your review following to your stay at the Es Saadi Hotel in March 2014.
We were sorry to learn you were not satisfied with certain of its aspects.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience it may have caused you.
Be sure that your remarks will be shared with the concerned departments.
About the poor quality of the noise in the rooms you mentioned,I would like to inform you that our owner is currently looking for the best scenario concerning the hotel's renovation .

However, I would like to thank you very much for pointing out the excellent food at the breakfast and restaurant.
We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will give us another opportunity to welcoming you back in order to restore your faith in our property.

Sincerely Yours
Luton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

This has to be one of the worst hotels I have ever paid to stay in - so bad myself and my travelling companion tried to leave three days early - unsuccessfully. The hotel itself is ok, room was nt too bad although patio doors did not lock properly and all bathroom lights fused 24 hours before leaving. These things are small concerns when compared with the appaliing and rude staff. Breakfast at best can only be compared to a bun fight, disorganisation is the rule and staff ignore all requests for tea/coffee and any crockery and cutlery. So much so I finally helped myself much to their consternation and even complaints to the breakfast room manager did nt improve matters on subsequent days.

Further 'miscommunications' with other various staff ensued and be warned, a hefty amount is taken off your credit card as a pre-authorisation on arrival. Apparently normal procedure is to refund this on check out and take the full amount at this point - I refused and we paid only the small balance owing in cash.

Only redeeming factors are the very nice grounds - again please note as 'hotel' guests you are 'barred' from the pool in the Palace area which also isn t made clear at check in leading to further embarassment and the one and only staff member worth any praise is the very lovely Fatima working the pool restaurant and bar at the lowly 'hotel'

There are lots of hotels in and around the area this one is in - do yourself a favour and stay at any one of those rather than this one.

Comments - two disgruntled middle aged female travellers

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear BernieLuton,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback concerning your recent stay at the Es Saadi Hotel..
I'm sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your experience at all.
Rest assured that your comments concerning the lack of service will be shared with the concerned departments.
Concerning your comments about the hefty amount taken off your credit card as a pre-authorisation on arrival is a common procedure all around the world. It is only a pre-autorisation, not a penny is at that point taken from your account.
Our main goal is to reach our valuable guests's satisfaction and it is always a pity for us when this specific objective is not reached.
I regret however you did not give us the opportunity to assist you directly while staying at the hotel .
I sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back at the Es Saadi.

Best regards
suffolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We are currently staying here and to be honest it's not bad at all. The food isn't bad and not too overpriced. The hotel is currently having some building works but not enough to ruin your trip. The staff are quite friendly and many speak English. The hotel may of been a 5# back in the 60swhen first built but it is only now catching back up. If you can book this hotel cheap then it's worth a look. The pool has recently been refurbished and looks great. It is only a Short walk to the medina but beware of the guides along the way who "just want to help" they will gladly help for a price. Be firm and they soon leave you alone. There are many tourist scams in Marrakech, horse and carriage being one of the biggest rip off as once you've agreed your price at the end of your trip they seem to of forgot what you agreed. If like us you get lost in the winding alleys of the medina (2hours infact) the best thing by far is to buy something cheap from a shop and then ask the owner for directions , anyone else will want paying for the info and probably send you the wrong way (especially children). Overall I like marrakech but the long weekend is enough for me.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank richard030
Dear richard03...

Thank you for giving your time by writing a review on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at the Es Saadi hotel.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel in the heart of the Hivernage, and pleased that our service was at your disposal in the best possible way.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back in Marrakech for another memorable stay at the Es Saadi Hotel

Sincerely Yours
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Our first time to morocco. 4 Nights in Marakech & 10 nights in Essaouia. After scouring tripadvisor I found two hotels for a reasonable price with everything we were looking for but you never know till you arrive.

Our Marakech hotel was the Es Saadi Gardens & Resort. Upon arrival it didn't look to impressive to be honest but this hotel was cheaper than other hotels we have stayed at in other countries. I had read the reviews so was forewarned not to expect 5 Star service you might receive elsewhere in the world. So here we go my views.....

Service ranged from the exceptional to the average. Restaurants in the hotel seemed to have enough staff but sometimes service seemed slow. Sometimes in the morning you would have to get the attention of the waiter to order your coffee. Then it would seemingly take for ever for it to arrive (probably only 5-10 mins) The thing is you would be waiting and then you would see a little huddle of 2-3 waiters standing around talking and laughing. To be honest I think this seems to be the morrocon way as I have also found this at our second hotel. ( Didn't worry me to much to be honest but thought I would mention it)

Predominately the morrocons speak French and the majority of tourists I met were French, but we never had any problems, some of the staff at both hotels we stayed spoke very good English.

During our stay I good WIFI connection through the hotel, including beside the pool and in our room.

I also used the Gym which was located in the Es Saadi Palace. One of the best Gyms I have used. All modern equipment ( TechnoGym ) Gym was also very quite.

The food was of a good quality, although the breakfast which was a good selection buffet was the same every day. We booked bed and breakfast and found the evening meals A La carte and of a good standard.
we also ate out at a couple of restaurants one which I feel is worth a mention was the Azar. Described as a mixture of Moroccan and Lebanese food. Service and food was excellent.

One of the hotels outdoor pools was described to us as heated. It didn't feel heated is all I can say. Sometimes the pool area was busier than others but we always managed to get a sun lounger.

didn't use the Spa during our stay.

The hotel is in a good location, with it being only a five minute walk from the old town and the hustle and bustle of the markets. If you venture into the markets be prepared to haggle hard. I found them completely overpriced. No bargains to had here.

one thing I found strange after now years of smokers oppression in United Kingdom. People could smoke when and where ever they fancied it. Although I believe the smokers during breakfast had to sit outside.

I found have found all resort food and drink expensive and what I mean by expensive is expect to pay more than you would in England. bottle of Local beer around 65 MAD inc Tax as of March 2014. Can of Sprite 35 MAD. Food follows along the same lines.

All in all a good experience and I would return to the hotel as it satisfied all of our requirements. I have marked the Hotel as Good Value mainly due to the amount we paid for the bead and breakfast option. If you stayed here with a family I feel the costs would ramp up with food and drink from the hotel.

Room Tip: buying a stock of drinks and snacks from the carrifour if you want to same some money. Also eating o...
2 Thank jonathan l
Dear Jonathan,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for noting your feedback on trip advisor regarding your recent stay at the Es Saadi Hotel.

Our team is always looking forward to exceed the guests needs thus guarantee their satisfaction.

However, we are sorry to learn that we did not meet all your expectations in some of its aspects, simultaneously not having the opportunity to meet you , and make your start more memorable.
Nevertheless, further to your review, we are delighted to read that you loved the Gyms and the A la carte Restaurant.

When it comes to lodging & restaurants we are certain that you have many choices to choose upon, and we hope that Es Saadi Gardens & Resort will remain your prior choice for your next trip to Marrakech.

Looking forward to welcoming you back
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I am puzzled to read the critical reviews. We stayed here for a week and found everything was of a very high standard. The pool view room we had was spacious and very well maintained.
The food was of reasonable standard with good choices for dinner. The breakfasts were exceptionally good.
I would certainly visit again

It is not quite 5 star but comes very close

Room Tip: Pool view room is best
2 Thank jsm21
Cher Monsieur,

Permettez-moi tout d'abord de vous remercier d'avoir pris le temps de partager vos commentaires relatifs à votre récente visite à l'Hôtel Es Saadi.
A la lecture de ces derniers, nous sommes ravis d'apprendre que votre séjour a répondu à vos attentes en termes de qualité.
Votre satisfaction est notre principal objectif et vos éloges représentent la plus belle des récompenses.
Nous espérons sincèrement avoir le plaisir de vous accueillir de nouveau très prochaînement au Es Saadi Gardens & Resort; ce afin de vous faire partager une nouvelle expérience enrichissante.

Cordiales salutations.
Teddington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed 3 nights. The building work s is now almost finished . The pool was open and water OK to swim. Breakfast still had to be taken at Palace ..in a very dismal dining room there, though the food choice and quality was good.

Rooms in this hotel are variable if the experiences of various couples in our party are anything to go by. Ours had a balcony overlooking the pool and although smallish was suitable for our needs during our stay. We liked the touch of providing a bowl of fresh oranges [deliciously sweet and juicy] and a vase of roses[ beautiful]. Above all the chambermaid could not have been more helpful responding immediately and with a smile to anything we needed.

We had half board and the dinners were from a small set menu with 4 starters 5 mains and no choice of desert. I particularly liked all the mains I had; sea beam, skate and vegetarian moussaka.

Easy walk to the Medina. I would stay again without any qualms