“a wounderful week in the sun” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Tikida Garden

Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
Ranked #108 of 504 Hotels in Marrakech
Sheerness, United Kingdom
“a wounderful week in the sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We travelled here as a family two adults and two teenagers. The airport on arrival wasnt to bad but coming home it was ridiculous slow. Make surr you bring a pen for the forms. We stayed for a week on arriving we were told to get something to eat and drink before being shown to our room we thought this was nice after arriving late.
our rooms were pleasent with adjoining balcony and a veiw of the pool, it was nice with afridge aircon and atele.
we did visit the old town and souks we done this with Thomson would recommend if its your first time you get to see some of the real marrakech you get to visit the main square where theres chance to go on your own for shopping and a look around. We also went to the atlas mountain we went with 4 x 4 camel definitely recommend this trip.
the food was nice something diffrrent every night and a must try is the moroccan restaurant it was really nice.
the entertainment is not all that good the entertainment team try hard and are really friendly, they leave you alone in the day if don't want to join in the activities. The other bar the zanzibar is good fun drinks ok not brilliant the staff really friendly there is a bloke playing his guitar not even getting into the songs it was a game of guess the song. We had an enjoyable stay and would recommend it

3 Thank lornaf691

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Polish first
Mansfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

After being in a riu hotel before I expected more, so when I got to riu tikida gardens I felt a little bit let down. The overall location of the hotel was beautiful. Unfortunately the room didn't live up to the standards of the rest of the hotel. The shower was either boiling hot or freezing cold and was nothing more than a trickle. The bed, us being here for a honeymoon, was just two single beds pushed together so wasn't a very comfortable sleep. The food was the same every night and had no change in it from one night to the next. The drinks were a let down and although people will say it's an all inclusive what do you expect, in staying in another riu hotel in Mexico the drinks were a massive change. The coctails were just mixed juice with hardly any alcohol. The good points was the shuttle bus that took you to the centre of town and was regular and the location for scenery was amazing. If you wanted a sunbed by the pool you had to be up early to reserve a bed as nobody respected the before 8am rules. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my friends and I wouldn't go again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ZJBraithwaite
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This was our first time in Morocco, and were a little apprehensive. From the moment we arrived we were well looked after; the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Top marks to the entertainment team who worked hard during the day and well into late evening. We really enjoyed the African Drumming and Moroccan themed nights, which were well attended and included lots of participation from the audience. There was a lot of choice with the food and staff were always replacing the popular items. We can't wait to go back next year!

The hotel provides a free shuttle bus service at intervals throughout the day to the new town. We recommend a visit to Jardin Majorelle. The old town during the day is less busy however there are plenty of places to shop. We went to a great spice shop, 'Herboristerie Talaa', to pick up some really good quality Argan oil which was also the best price we saw it advertised, and in clear 100ml bottles so you could take it back in your hand luggage.

Top tip: hotel does not change sterling notes that have been marked/written on.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor room facing the pool; you'll need to scout out the free sunbeds as people...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Zoë B
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I was a little unsure what to expect form this holiday as a few reviews I read on here left doubt in my mind but I can honestly say that overall I was pleasantly surprised.

Airport in Marrakech- shocking if I'm honest. Complete chaos even a member off staff walked out be prepared for the process to take a good hour and half.

We arrived mid morning, so before check in times. Our suitcases was taken was was given a drink and told to get something go eat after this we was allocated our rooms way before check in time so this was a great start.
Staff very friendly and helpful

We had two rooms with interconnecting balconies - we had rooms 454 and 455 on the 3rd floor we was informed this was a newer part off the hotel. The rooms was clean and spacious. My husband and I did have to push our beds together to make a double but the beds was comfortable. Our air con worked fab which was well needed.
Fridge and hair dyer all in good working order. Lots off wardrobe space just not enough hangers.
Not a lot off noise where our room was, cleaning on the grounds start around 7am so you can hear a little noise around that time.

Pool- Big and clean just not very deep.
Lots off sun loungers and parasols- there is a rule about reserving sun loungers before 8am. We went to the pool at 7.45 and reserved 4 loungers but stayed there till just gone 8 and it was fine we didn't return till about 10. If you leave before 8am your towels will be removed. Even after 8 loungers was still available just not around the pool directly.

Lots off shaded areas too for those that struggle with the heat.

The grounds/gardens are immaculate staff seem to work non stop and it shows.
Different activity going on throughout the day- staff will come round asking if you want to join in.
The staff are friendly and funny- Housa and kamil really create a good fun atmosphere.

Food- is a little hit and miss. Breakfast is good....lunch not so good and gets really busy......dinner you are shown to your seats given water and wine staff very helpful. There is a few choices but I'm fussy but I didn't stave to I suppose that's a good thing. I sometimes eat from the children's section.
We eat in the Moroccan restaurant twice.....I would recommend having the lamb. It was nice to just eat in a different room.
Drinks- wine and beer good. Cocktails full off sugar. Vodka gin etc very weak.
They ask for men to wear trousers at dinner times- my husband did out off respect but many didn't and nothing was said so it's your choice.

Night time entertainment- mixed reviews really. Staff work hard with what resources they have.
We watched every show some we was like is this for real and some wasn't to bad but for sure could do with improvement- you won't be having late nights on this holiday.
There is another bar called Zanibar the same man every night sits and signs with zero personality. He doesn't move or make eye contact it's actually laughable.

We went into the old town twice- first time daytime. Wasn't to busy didn't get any hassle felt safe no where near as bad as I thought. You will get men wanting to show you around just say no thank you. A like tip if you get a little lost always head back towards the satellite dishes and the mosque and it will bring you back to where you need to be.
Always agree a taxi price before you get in.
Night time visit- extremely busy I mean 1000's off people my children aged 16 and 14 was a little taken back. Everyone was trying to get us to eat with them, you could have a bit off a laugh with them but don't stop walking!
Keep together very easy to get separated
What ruin our nights was the ladies doing henna tattoos, they everywhere!! My daughter wanted one the ladies are pushy and when she finished she tried charging a fortune it actually turned into a heated argument but I was going to back down..... Always agree prices first!

I would recommend going for the experience just be firm and keep your wits about you.

Wifi- seemed to improve as the holiday went on.....lots off different connections so keep trying and refresh your search. Our best connection was a shaded walkway between the reception and pool area.

Overall- we had a lovely holiday the grounds are well kept and clean. Our rooms was cleaned daily staff very helpful. Good atmosphere. Areas for improvement but no where is perfect for what we paid I would go back.

Room Tip: We was on 3rd floor that way you have no walking above you. There is a lift if you can't manage...
4 Thank Tammy560
Edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Terrible start to this holiday! Flight - great! Passport control at Marrakech airport - shockingly chaotic! Near rioting, uncontrolled crowds, angry and frustrated airport staff and a total lack of any kind of normality was what we were welcomed with after arriving in Marrakech! I have never experienced such an amateur operation in my life! We arrived at about half 7 in the evening and were anxious to get to our hotel after a day of travelling. We spent over an hour and a half at passport control going up and down the barriers! Eventually chaos ensued and in a crazy free for all people started forming their own queues! Eventually after getting through(only after an obnoxious member of staff tried to persuade me that I was of a different nationality- eh my British passport clearly didn't give him any clues did it!) we went to collect our luggage and find our coach to the airport! However this was met with chaos as well! All the luggage from our flight had been taken off the conveyor belt and left in the middle of the floor! I hunted and found our luggage and headed straight for the coach. This before we even got to the hotel is enough to put me off ever coming back to morocco again. If travelling to Marrakech be prepared for upwards of an hour and a half wait at passport control- in a very low air conditioned airport so bring water with you! The hotel- a lovely welcome with a glass of juice and taken straight to the restaurant to have dinner. This was welcomed after the chaos at the airport. Staff all lovely, helpful and polite. Most porters and general staff expect tips so be aware of that. They kind of stand there waiting for a tip so either give in or stare them out! On any other day I might have picked the second option however I just wanted to get to my room and get settled. The grounds are beautiful and clean. The room, for a 4 star hotel to be honest could and should have been much better. For example the things I found irritating were: mini fridge with no drinks just a bottle of water- makes no sense to me! There is no room service! In a 4 star hotel that's a definite must so a big let down for me! The rooms are large and spacious and are more than adequate for a short stay but the bathroom definitely needs an upgrade- I have stayed in 2 star accommodation with nicer bathrooms- the shower head had mould on it and the bathroom door handle was broken but these are just little things that all add up to a lot. The beds are strange- two single beds pushed together to make a double- very uncomfortable and the pillows are really comfortable. The tv needs a higher selection of channels but that I can deal with as only 2 English ones, however on holiday how much tv will you be watching. Women should be aware of their clothing and dress modest when out in the city centre just to avoid unwanted attention from some people. Request a room on the second floor up to get a balcony. Having a room on the bottom floor gives u a terrace but not that private so try for a balcony. The thing that makes this hotel bearable is the staff they greet you with a smile and do try to make your stay nice. The wifi is so temperamental you would be better off buying a data add on because the wifi doesn't really work. There's smoking in the lobby as well so just be aware of that. Venture out and visit the old town, the main large square, atlas resort for water or jet skiing and try the quad bike experience and camel trip! I would be thinking twice about coming to morocco if Marrakech airport is anything to go by though. In addition th air con is ridiculous honestly for a country with a temp of 40 degrees you would expect the room to feel like a fridge but it's more like a light fan of air that is barely cool. What a joke I woke up several times in the night. The food is boring repetitive and not that tasty. I also got a stomach bug whilst at the hotel and I didn't eat anywhere apart from the hotel so join the dots. Breakfast is ok. If you are thinking of going to this hotel then think again and upgrade to the other Riu hotel in Marrakech. The trips are good but I was really very disappointed by this hotel and totally shocked that it was considered a 4 star by the holiday company!! What a complete miss-sell of a resort. People don't waste your money try a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Hotel was a pretty typical Riu. Very well maintained, friendly staff who were very attentive and decent choice at meal times. Moroccan restaurant on site was particularly good.
75%+ of guests were British with French the next most popular with smattering of Dutch and Moroccan.
Got a late flight, landed about 10:30pm, or so but the restaurant stayed open.
Immigration and Customs seem to take an age. All arrivals need to fill in a visitor form which, bizarrely, Thomson weren't dishing out on the flight over - have pen handy when you get off along with either £1 coin or Euro for whoever comes up to you saying they'll take your bags to the coach!
We were there for 10 days and whilst we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, 7 days would have been fine.
We'd recommend the trip to the Ourika Valley and the Caleche By Night. The all day guided tour of Marrakesh is very long and tiring, probably a couple of hours too long to be honest. The trip to Essouira is an early start, 7:20am and a 3 hour minibus journey to the coast although once there very enjoyable.
Lastly, don't change your money until you get to the hotel. It's a much better rate than you'll get at Gatwick.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I travelled with my 2 children aged 5 and 6. As a lone parent I was hoping there would be some good kids entertainment as advertised but tbh it was fairly terrible. My daughter was held hostage at the daytime kids club, left in tears when she asked to come back to me but the woman in charge said no. So check on your kids regularly. It's fairly boring in there with only jigsaw puzzles and plasticine to play with. They didn't often do any activities outside. The evening entertainment was 20 minutes and consisted of the same 4 songs every night. And on one of the nights the rep just stood there while my daughter led the dances.

The food was repetitive and just ok. I was very hungry coming home as I didn't eat particularly well. There is only so much onion Tagine I could eat no matter how nice it was.

The air con was ok. Sufficient but not overly cold.

The rooms mini bar is empty. You have to get water from reception.

The drinks are ok. Cocktails are mediocre.

There is no outside entertainment at night which is a shame given the grounds are so nice. Also there are no tables and chairs outside the hotel (bar one or two) in the evenings. Smoking is allowed in the lobby which is unpleasant as you have to walk through the lobby to get to the bar, to dinner and to the shop. And also makes it more of a shame that there are no seating areas outside the hotel for people who don't want to inhale second hand smoke.

The corridors are noisy and you will be woken up around 7am by the maids having a natter outside your bedroom door. But they do a good job and the rooms are very clean and comfortable.

Wifi can be accessed in your room which was a big plus point for me travelling alone with my children for me to keep in touch with family for free.

For me, the main problem was the fact my children's feet were bleeding every time they came out of the pool. I complained to the rep who assured me no other complaint had been made. And would not take me seriously until I rallied together some other parents who were experiencing the same thing. Once other people spoke to the rep he took the matter seriously and health and safety are coming out to look at the pool. But basically I think the tiles have been laid poorly resulting in feet being cut. Children and adults. So be careful. Take with you some swimming shoes/socks. My son ended up wearing regular socks in the the pool but each day we had to throw the socks away as they were shredded.

All in all we had a nice holiday but I wouldn't go back.

If you can get a good deal like I did then it's definitely worth going. I don't think I would pay more than £500 per person during the school holidays.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have patios open to other holidaymakers so ask for a room upstairs if this bother...
2 Thank Leahope