We decided to stay at La Maison Arabe following quite a bit of web research. We decided we wanted to stay at somewhere larger then the typical Riad but smaller then a full blown hotel. La Maison Arabe fitted the bill perfectly, both in terms of size (around 30 rooms/suites in total) and facilities (Spa, restaurants, country club, cooking school etc). We had a fantastic break and would highly recommend this boutique hotel.
Accommodation - we booked a junior suite (patio side) and were upgraded on arrival to the slightly more expensive garden sided junior suite.
We stayed in the Nada suite and I would recommend you look at the accommodation section on La Maison Arabe's website as the pictures are a true representation of the rooms.
Our room was very spacious and comfortable with 2 large plasma TV's and a lovely balcony overlooking the pool. The bed was firm and comfortable and the hotel was very efficient at responding to our request to replace the oversized pillows supplied with slightly smaller ones.
The bathroom was more than adequate with a separate shower/bath and a large and powerful shower head.
There is also free WiFi throughout the hotel.
It is about a 10/15 minute walk to the main square/Souk so during the day it is possible to get around on foot.
Finally, be aware that there is a local mosque nearby which does its 1st call-to-prayer at 4am (!) - that if nothing else makes you fully aware that you are in Marrekech!
Country Club - one of the attractions for us was the use of the hotel's country club on the outskirts of the city. Although there is a pool in the hotel, the country club gives it something extra - it allowed us to spend a day relaxing by its pool and is the perfect opposite to the hustle and bustle of Marakkech. The weather in early October was still warm enough for us to swim in the pool and we really enjoyed the 4 or 5 hours we spent there. The hotel runs a regular free shuttle to/from the country club.
Spa - the spa seems newly refurbished although offered a relatively small range of treatments. While my wife and I both had treatments which we enjoyed, I found it quite expensive and with hindsight should have booked the well-rated "Les Bains de Marrakech" in advance (- we tried to book on arrival but they were fully booked...).
Cooking School - the on-site cooking school was another reason for us booking this hotel. My wife enjoys cooking and spent a great afternoon learning about Moroccan cooking.
Food/drink - While not cheap, the food and drink was top notch and nothing is too much trouble ( - for example, they smiled and quickly accommodated my wife's lunch request for a tuna sandwich without bread!). We ate at the hotel's restaurant on our final night and found the food to be very good, although the service on that evening was not perfect. There is also a very chilled jazz bar for pre-dinner drinks.
Staff - all staff that we came into contact with were extremely helpful and pleasant. Indeed this is probably this factor that made our stay at La Maison Arabe so enjoyable and why we have given it 5-stars in this review.
Conclusion - Marrakech is a fantastic location for a short break from the UK and La Maison Arabe is the perfect place to base yourself. There are undoubtedly flashier places to stay in this city (both La Mamoumia and Naoura Barriiere are within a 10 minute walk of La Maison Arabe) but for a cosy yet luxurious stay, I don't think you will go wrong with this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This legendary and prestigious hotel boasts 26 exquisitely decorated rooms and suites, 2 restaurants, a new spa, and a choice of 2 large swimming pools (on-site in the medina or at the hotel's country annex, 15 minutes away by complimentary shuttle). The hotel's world-famous Moroccan cooking workshops have become a "must-do" activity in Marrakech. Frommer's describes La Maison Arabe as "the epitome of Moroccan elegance." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your La Maison Arabe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Maison Arabe Marrakech
- La Maison Arabe Hotel Marrakech