“A Moroccan Jewel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Maison Arabe

You added La Maison Arabe to your Saves list
La Maison Arabe
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Derb Assehbe | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Offers & Announcements
50$ off every day
Ranked #15 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Dallas
“A Moroccan Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Staying at this beautiful hotel in the medina of Marrakech was one of the highlights of our recent trip to Morocco. La Maison Arabe is the perfect size, not too small, not too big; we felt like we were staying at a private club and were treated like royalty throughout our 4 days here. The service was excellent, comparable to what we experienced years ago at certain hotels in Asia. The front desk staff was particularly helpful; nothing seemed to be a problem for them and everything was done efficiently and with a smile. The hotel is full of intimate and private spaces, each a bit different, but all beautifully decorated, and they all flowed seamlessly from one to another. Every day I would discover something new. What a feast for the eyes! The biggest surprise for us was the hotel’s country annex, which is just outside the city (the front desk arranges your transportation there). There is a second large swimming pool here set in beautifully landscaped gardens. After 3 days of non-stop sightseeing and too much shopping (we had to pay excess weight on my luggage!) this was the perfect place to just unwind before our trip home. Our next trip to Morocco will be to explore the southern region beyond the Atlas Mountains (we just didn’t have enough time on this trip) and we will certainly begin and end that vacation in Marrakech at this enchanting hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I was worried that his riad may be tired as it existed and was popular 10 years ago when I was in Morocco on my honeymoon. I researched, asked questions, read reviews, interrogated travel agents and, ultimately, decided to stay here for a few nights in Marrakech because the answers were really all positive and the rate for the large suite we needed (with 2 young children) was a bit better than others I considered. Unfortunately, I was right to be suspicious. It is a "tired" hotel with a somewhat shabby lobby and worn carpets, etc. Paying around $800 a night, I expected more. I guess you just don't get much these days. Additionally, the service and food at breakfast (which is included in most Moroccan hotels) was the worst we experienced in the country. It was so bad we thought about where else to run to to feed our kids in the morning just to avoid the experience, even though we had already paid for it. It was a real bummer as I spent countless hours choosing our hotels. This was my biggest disappointment. Sorry Maison Arabe but it's true.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
7 Thank twinsma
SantaFe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

I am an architect and I stayed at this riad for a week towards the end of January- It is in my top ten list of favorite hotels of anywhere in the world-
The decor, the ambience, the service- I can not say enough good things about this Riad- I am going back to Marrakech and I have to stay here again- I took many cooking classes which I highly recommend -Aziza and Mohammed made the cooking classes really fun and I learned a lot in a short amount of time-
All the staff were kind, gracious, helpful with any detail-
The hammam was beautiful and the experience out of this world-
I have recommended this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

I spent a lot of time on this website and burying myself in several guide books before our trip. There seem to be so many wonderful hotels in Marrakech; I had a very hard time choosing where to stay. We finally chose La Maison Arabe, which had been unanimously recommended by my guide books . I must say that La Maison Arabe lived up to their glowing descriptions. The decor and service is elegant, understated and chic. From the doors to the artwork to the gorgeous teardrop shaped lanterns to the rugs – everything seems to have been chosen with incredible taste and sense of harmony. I worked for many years in the design business and was very impressed.
Marrakech is an amazing city and should not be missed. You can easily include it on a trip to Spain as we did. The flight was only 1 ½ hours.
Back to this hotel, the service and cuisine at La Maison Arabe was far superior to what we have experienced at many “5 star” establishments, both on this trip and others. I enthusiastically recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank linusbos
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

My husband and I recently spent a week in Marrakech for New Year’s, and stayed at La Maison Arabe. We really could not find fault with this hotel. Our room was in the older wing, and was exquisitely decorated and had a small private terrace. The service was impeccable, at a much higher level than we were expecting. Our room was freshened up at least 2-3 times a day.
The reception areas of the hotel and bar are drop-dead gorgeous (and the very friendly bartender – Rashid? – makes a mean cocktail!). The swimming pool was heated, which was a big plus for us in late December. The food was outstanding; the hotel has two restaurants: a Moroccan one (I’m still remembering the braised lamb shoulder!) and a top-notch International restaurant where we ate 2 evenings.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank celfohr
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

It was such a joy to stay at La Maison Arabe for so many reasons. Not the least because during the Christmas/New Year period this year it was pouring with rain and quite chilly in Marrakech. It was heaven to come home to glowing open fires, beautiful floral arrangements, fresh tangerines, a welcome cup of tea or stiff martini.

In truth it is probably more boutique hotel than riad but the Moroccan detail and atmosphere is everywhere, the choice of restaurants and the quality of food, the free wireless internet, the charm of the barmen and all the staff makes it a true stand out. Maybe in better weather those things may not have been important but during my stay, I really valued those comforts and the high level of service and the variety of facilities offered in house. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming and the staff of which there are many are so unobtrusive and delightful.

It was too cool to swim but it has a beautiful pool on site and another just out of Marrakech which would be divine in the warmer weather - a great break from the madness of the medina. All age groups were staying, singles, couples, some families and all nationalities so it was really a delightful experience.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank janeblogs
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

La Maison Arabe is one of a large number of riads that has sprung up in Marrakech over the past ten years or so. Based upon visiting a few others to eat I would say it is more "full service" than most, which probably would improve further its appeal the longer the stay.

We stayed just for 3 nights on a long weekend break. We took a Standard Suite ("Shehrazade"), lovely decor, comfortable, exceptional standards of housekeeping, nice touches such as a dialy-replenished basket of dried fruits and nuts.

The riad had many public areas of great beauty and tranquility: almost too many really, as it was not a busy time of the year (apparently quite quiet for a Christmas influx). There are two restaurants, the "international" one where we had breakfast, lunch on the first day, and took the complimentary afternoon tea. We rarely saw anyone else eating there other than for breakfast.

In the main body of the hotel there was an "arabic" restuarant: this was probably the least impressive of the 3 evening meals we had in Marrakech, although still very good as the general standard of food was excellent throughout our stay.

We used the baths once, but a highlight was the cookery school where we cooked our own tagine lunch. The hotel's main pool is at a different location, served by regular shuttles: this was set in lovely gardens though is, I imagine, best in warm weather (Marrkech was a little wet the weekend we were there).

Excellent service, helpful reception staff, I thoroughly recommend La Maison Arabe.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple