This is a wonderful hotel and I definitely recommend it. Because of its 5 out of 5 Tripadvisor rating, I expected it to be perfect and that may have set my expectations too high. I really want to give it a 5 out of 5 but it missed the mark slightly on a couple of occasions.
It is beautiful inside - truly a paradise when faced with the chaos of the city. We had a suite that overlooked the pool and it was a gorgeous room. The only thing we were awaken by the call to prayer from the nearby mosque every night. I assume that you'd hear the same from any hotel in the city.
I took a cooking class offered at the hotel and it was wonderful. Since there were so many of us signed up for the course, they held it at their "country club" facility where they have a state of the art learning kitchen. I learned how to make a chicken and preserved lemon tagine as well as two delicious vegetarian starters and then we all sat down together to eat our delicious Moroccan food. I highly recommend taking this cooking course.
The hotel owns property in another part of the city and they call it the "country club." It is a beautiful garden (with lily pads, frogs and turtles) and pool hidden behind a gate. The hotel runs an hourly shuttle
to the property and you must go there at least once. We enjoyed the sunshine laying by the pool and ordered some freshly squeezed orange juice. This was served to us and tasted salty so we sent it back. They brought us another and this was even saltier than the first. Someone must have mixed up the sugar and salt containers!
The spa is lovely and relaxing although we had a disappointing time at first. My daughter and I went for massages and they thought our appointment was for 30 mins when we were expecting an hour and tried to just add on another 30 minutes but that doesn't work when it has been stopped in the middle of what is supposed to be a relaxing a massage. Also, they did not show us all the oil choices as their brochure said they would. Basically, they did not take the time with us that they say they will. When management got wind of our dissatisfaction, they immediately offered us massages the next morning and did not charge us for either massage. This was greatly appreciated. My "make up" massage was probably the best massage I've ever had.
We ate at the restaurant pool restaurant a couple of nights and the food is really good. One night we ate in the Jazz club and this was a fun and relaxed way to have dinner. Rachid, our server, was outstanding. He even made my daughter a special elixir of honey and ginger to help with a bad cough she had. He went above and beyond! There was one waiter we had at the pool restaurant who was terribly unfriendly and unhelpful and this left a sour taste in our mouths. Perhaps this was also a language thing, but, there were plenty of people who we were unable to communicate with fully but they still had a smile and tried to be as helpful as possible.
I should also mention that upon our arrival, the manager saw that we could get a better rate on one of our rooms and he immediately made that change for us. This was greatly appreciated, especially because it was completely the hotel's doing.
Please stay at this beautiful hotel. Just know that nothing is perfect and in Marrakech, it can be a struggle to be understood if you do not speak French or Arabic (Or even better - Berber!). So, to sum up: we are really happy that we stayed at this lovely hotel but there were several small issues that made it hard for me to give it the 5 out of 5 that I was hoping for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This legendary and prestigious hotel boasts 26 exquisitely decorated rooms and suites, 2 restaurants, a new spa, and a choice of 2 large swimming pools (on-site in the medina or at the hotel's country annex, 15 minutes away by complimentary shuttle). The hotel's world-famous Moroccan cooking workshops have become a "must-do" activity in Marrakech. Frommer's describes La Maison Arabe as "the epitome of Moroccan elegance." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotwire, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your La Maison Arabe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Maison Arabe Marrakech
- La Maison Arabe Hotel Marrakech