I see that there are over 600 excellent reviews. What could I possibly have to add? But I feel
compelled to write something because I love this place so much. It is the perfect melding of
riad and hotel. Most riads are very small and don't have hotel services such as front desk,
24-hour concierge, laundry, A/C, TV, Pool(s) spa, housekeeping, etc. As far as I know there are
only seven full riad/hotels in Marrakech and La Maison Arabe is perfection.
I was first there for a "milestone" birthday celebration, with 25 friends, in 2011. The way the
staff handled that situation was the equal of any great 7-star large hotel. But this time, I was
by myself and was there for almost a month. The staff was flawless and the experience
was supremely professional and yet, friendly and caring.
Knowing all the rooms, 26 in all, I would say that a few are, indeed, very small but they have
very large private courtyards. If stairs are an issue, I would suggest one of the rooms in the
newest wing. There are still eight to ten steps to negotiate from the lobby but there is an
elevator which goes from the top floor down to the restaurant and lower to the spa.
If one has no ability to use stairs, this hotel will not work. But for everyone else, it's the ONLY
place to be. I also recommend that people traveling with small children, go elsewhere where
there are more activities for them. La Maison Arabe is for older people; aged 13 and up.
And peace and quiet is one of the great features prized by guests. Well.....There ARE the
calls to prayer that come as early as 3:30 AM and are easily heard from some of the rooms.
I like that sound; but in the interest of full disclosure, it is a fact of life in Muslim countries.
I think, beyond the Moroccan charm, high level of taste and efficiency of staff, there is an ineffable feeling of being cared for as a member of an extended family. I had a bad cold while
there and I was treated to all manner of local "potions" and remedies that worked very well.
I wish I could name everyone who is worthy of high praise; but they ALL are. There is the
manager, Nabila, who is a rare treasure. She knows what you need before you do. At the
desk, Adil, Mustafa, Mourad and the others are so kind. The restaurant staff is always eager
to ensure one has a fine dining experience. The housekeeping staff couldn't be more effective.
A word about the "Country Club". This is a lovely garden with a huge refreshing pool and a
place for luncheon al fresco. It's about a 15 minute drive from the hotel and a free shuttle goes back and forth on the hour. It's a most charming place full service pool and luncheon and if
one is lucky, there are three kittens and one adult cat who will come to share lunch with you.
They are extremely lovable and attractive.
A couple of practical caveats: As to guides, if you want one, be sure to arrange it with Nabila
or someone at the desk. Do NOT let someone approach you in the square or on the street
to offer guide services. This is most important.
I was rather surprised to see the way more than a few of the women were dressed. I am
referring to short shorts and spare tops worn by women in their late teens to full middle age.
The ignorance of some people is mind boggling. I am not mindful of Muslim sensibilities in
my country or in Western Europe but when visiting a Muslim country, one is a guest in THEIR
home and a much more conservative manner of dress is a must. Oh, I'm not saying that one
has to wear an Abaya or a Chador but short shorts, and minimal tops are an affront.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This legendary and prestigious hotel boasts 26 exquisitely decorated rooms and suites, 2 restaurants, a new spa, and a choice of 2 large swimming pools (on-site in the medina or at the hotel's country annex, 15 minutes away by complimentary shuttle). The hotel's world-famous Moroccan cooking workshops have become a "must-do" activity in Marrakech. Frommer's describes La Maison Arabe as "the epitome of Moroccan elegance." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your La Maison Arabe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Maison Arabe Marrakech
- La Maison Arabe Hotel Marrakech